• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Clark , he is one of our own, Benfleet boy who played at a good level after leaving us. Then he returned to captain and then manage the team under one of the most difficult regimes in our history. We do owe him a lot and the phrase ‘committed’ player was designed for him.

Harry Threadgold.
343 appearances for us in 10 years.
Was a favourite of my dads. He said he was the best goalie he had seen playing for Southend.
His ashes are spread over Roots Hall.

I was fortunate enough to meet Harry a few times. Great bloke, fantastic and fearless keeper. A given in any Hall of Fame IMHO.

From the posts about the FA cup match v Man City, I could pick out Harry T, and four forwards, Sam M, Roy H, Kevin Baron and John McG. All wonderful players. If pressed I would nominate Roy Hollis and keep the others for next time.

Harold Halse (1) seenyeva kryevyetka
Steve Tilson (13) Billericay Blue, manor 15, Brettie Angell, AndyT, Weston's left foot, Mojave shrimper, leeblue, ricey, mk shrimper, chrisb, streaky, LBBlue, C C Csiders,
Barry Corr (1) Clinton Baptiste
John McKinven (1) blues exile
Graham Bressington (1) magnum pi
Andy Ansah (1) davewebbsbrain
Tony Bentley (1) kaymac
Paul Clark (5) OBL, Lord Football, Floval Flyer, E for B and Billy Best, Gridelets contact lens
Darryl Flahavan (1) Goughy
Frankie Banks (1) RickyOtto
Frank Walton (1) Firestorm
John Lattimer (1) Tampa Blue
Garry Nelson (1) Benfleet A1
Paul Sturrock (1) borientater
Roy Hollis (3) fbm, buffalowolf, greyerfox
Sandy Anderson (1) Napster
Tony Hadley (1) Hammer
Peter Watson (1) SU Blue 2
Trevor Roberts (1) sosborne
Harry Threadgold (2) bigmolt, irenbird
Ted Birnie (1) mattitouk

If anyone else wants to add a nomination (and apologies if I missed anyone off) then they need to cut and paste this list and add their name to it

Steve Tilson (13) Billericay Blue, manor 15, Brettie Angell, AndyT, Weston's left foot, Mojave shrimper, leeblue, ricey, mk shrimper, chrisb, streaky, LBBlue, C C Csiders, Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Tony Bentley (1) kaymac
Paul Clark (5) OBL, Lord Football, Floval Flyer, E for B and Billy Best, Gridelets contact lens
Tony Hadley (1) Hammer
Ted Birnie (1) mattitouk

Steve Tilson (13) Billericay Blue, manor 15, Brettie Angell, AndyT, Weston's left foot, Mojave shrimper, leeblue, ricey, mk shrimper, chrisb, streaky, LBBlue, C C Csiders, Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Andy Ansah (2) davewebbsbrain, Razam
Tony Bentley (1) kaymac
Tony Hadley (1) Hammer
Ted Birnie (1) mattitouk

Andy Ansah - simply coz he gave me my first ever autograph :thumbsup:
knocked on his door one day after school (he lived on my walk home) and I asked for his autograph. He was more than happy to oblige. Top man, Top player.

from the Shrimpers Trust website.
When SUFC President John Woodcock was asked shortly before his death in 2001 who his favourite player was, he said "Jimmy McAlinden" without a moments hesitation. Born in Belfast, Jimmy McAlinden played as a teenager for Belfast Celtic, won an Irish Cup winners medal, 2 Northern Ireland caps and then moved to Portsmouth. He won the 1939 Cup Final with Portsmouth when they beat Wolves 4-1. The war interrupted what would have been a glittering career. After the war he resigned for Portsmouth. He won 2 caps for Eire and then a third Northern Ireland cap against England in 1947.He then moved to Stoke but was signed for the Shrimpers in October 1948.

Steve Tilson (13) Billericay Blue, manor 15, Brettie Angell, AndyT, Weston's left foot, Mojave shrimper, leeblue, ricey, mk shrimper, chrisb, streaky, LBBlue, C C Csiders,
John McKinven (2) blues exile, GrumpyBlue
Tony Bentley (1) kaymac
Tony Hadley (1) Hammer
Ted Birnie (1) mattitouk

If anyone else wants to add a nomination (and apologies if I missed anyone off) then they need to cut and paste this list and add their name to it

Paul Clark - not just a Southend United legend, but a Southend United treasure. A true leader of men both on and off the pitch.

Went to the Wolves v SUFC game,20.12.86.
I am not sure,but Paul was maybe either co-trainer or part time trainer for a few games.
As my father and myself walked past the Southend team coach,the players were leaving the coach,i said " hi Paul" he spoke to me quick "howsit going Ozzie"...my father was so impressed..that he knew my name...and spoked to me
A moment my father often mentioned...As you wrote BB...one of us(even though he played for Brighton)

The King Billy Best
Tony Bentley
Alan Moody
Paul Clark
Ron Pountney

Back