• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Beep beep! Come on Ronaldo, I'll drive you to the airport myself. It's long past time you left. I've had enough of the diving, the whining, the cheating, the feigning, the petulant tantrums and the rolling around on the ground and, you know what? I doubt I'm the only one. On behalf of my fellow countrymen, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the magical moments of skill, the extraordinary goals, the amazing stepovers, but most of all, for having the decency to get this over with nice and early thus sparing us all another summer of perpetual speculation. Oh look, here we are already, Manchester Airport. Ta-raaa, good luck and watch yourself on the ker-

Are you alright? Did you break your ankle? Come on, son, pick yourself up, it can't be-

Ah, you're absolutely fine. Good show.

The most startling thing about this affair is that Ronaldo seems to think that a transfer to Real Madrid is the step-up that his career requires. It's quite the opposite. He's joining a chaotic shambles of a football club who only remain at the right end of La Liga because of the appallingly unbalanced way that Spanish clubs negotiate individual TV rights. Because of the vast disparity between the earnings of the clubs in that division, Madrid would actually have to work very hard to ever drop out of the top four. They change managers on a whim, regardless of their success and they haven't challenged in the Champions League for years. Ronaldo has traded in the stability and the prestige of the finest club on the planet for a shot at short-term success with the craziest.

Mind you, short-term is Ronaldo's watchword, isn't it? Apparently he didn't realise that, when you sign a five year contract, you're actually expected to stay for five years. They don't offer you GBP120,000 every week if you're thinking about jumping ship, you see. They don't offer it if they think that you'll throw your toys out of the pram the very next summer. And they certainly don't offer it if they think you'll start publicly agreeing with descriptions of you as a modern day slave.

Ronaldo could have been a legend at Old Trafford. He was one of the finest players ever to wear the red shirt and potentially worthy of mention in the same breath as Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law. Not now. He could have followed the example of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville, he could have stayed at the best club in the world and got better and better and better. One day, perhaps he'll realise what he's left behind.

The funny thing is, I don't think anyone will be that sad to see the back of him. Sir Alex Ferguson can now plan for the future without having to placate his petulant star. The coaching staff won't have coats snatched out of their hands every time he's substituted and the players don't have to put up with his mood swings. As for the fans, the ones who gave him a standing ovation after last summer's protracted nonsense, the ones who believed him when he said that he was staying, they've just learned an important lesson about modern football. At the end of it all, there's only one thing you can say. Goodbye Ronaldo and good riddance.

The great thing about Ronaldo going (for united and england) is that before the team was built around Ronaldo, and Rooney was self-less in playing on the left... however now I truely hope Fergie plays Rooney up top where his is at his best and most devastating.

I think its a shame for the Premier League that the best player in the world is jumping ship to La Liga.

To be fair to him, the season before last he seemed to cut out the whinging, the diving, the throwing his arms around and rolling around on the floor but some of it started to creap back into his game last season which was a real shame.

If you look at the game against us, Ronaldo was exactly as decribed, he acted like a spoilt brat, its quite embarrasing to watch, but the season before last he was a joy to watch.

As a Real Madrid fan, this is brilliant news that his joining alongside Kaka. I can't wait for the new season, will definately be heading over for another game there.

As a Real Madrid fan, this is brilliant news that his joining alongside Kaka. I can't wait for the new season, will definately be heading over for another game there.

As someone who works in an office full of Real Madrid fans, this is all becoming rather unpleasant.

good comment from Andy Townsend of all people last night... with all the money he could earn bla bla bla, big money moves etc... wouldnt it be fitting if the 'best' player in the world, at the peak of his game, wasnt to feature in the 2010 world cup (refering to Portugals perelous qualifying postion.

He will like it in Spain. He can dive, whine and moan all he likes. I loved watching him play because of his talent but his attitude just made me want to give him a kick in the face.

good comment from Andy Townsend of all people last night... with all the money he could earn bla bla bla, big money moves etc... wouldnt it be fitting if the 'best' player in the world, at the peak of his game, wasnt to feature in the 2010 world cup (refering to Portugals perelous qualifying postion.

The tournament would be better off for his absence. I feel a great deal of sympathy for the George Weah's of the game who have been denied the chance to perform on some of the biggest stages by their nationalities. Ronaldo (Cristiano, not the two time World Cup winner) on the other hand has had a fairly direct hand in preventing some of his country's finest of all time from succeeding internationally by leaving them essentially playing with 10 men at vital moments.

He will like it in Spain. He can dive, whine and moan all he likes. I loved watching him play because of his talent but his attitude just made me want to give him a kick in the face.

Are we really still clinging to this idea that our football is somehow cleaner? Well, with the likes of Messi and now Kaka and Ronaldo in Spain I suppose that we can hardly argue that ours is the competition of choice for the best players, so we might as well cling to the myth...

Back