• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

uk_coops

“There are two occasions in my career that made everything I have gone through worth it”. As I stood there, my mind started to turn. Was he talking about Kirsty Gallagher, I would. Or maybe it was one of the other beauties he had bedded. “The other game I cherish having being part of was Southend v Luton Town on the final day of the 1992-3 season”. I beg your pardon Stan. Hold on what’s this, “I wouldn’t swap that day at Southend for winning the FA Cup or Championship. Really”. Really? Now I think I am going to like this book.

As a collector of football autobiographies there was always one I was looking forward to more than others. And today I found it, sitting proudly amongst the other sports shops in a bookshop in Christchurch. So like the others, I finished it five hours after giving away near to twenty pounds that I don’t really have.

Like most football books that are related to your club, it is difficult not to go straight to the part concerns you the most. Who cares about where he were born or what he ate for breakfast when he was twelve? What was it really like at Southend? But like most good autobiographies, understanding where a person has come from, puts you in a better position to understand the bits you really want to know about.

So what’s it like then? And more importantly how much does he talk about his Southend days? Well, if you expecting a lot on Southend then prepare to be disappointed. However, that should not be surprising considering the amount of clubs that Stan actually played for, and most importantly, what he says about the club is quality, not quantity.

As predicted, Stan carries himself extremely well. He is passionate about the subjects he cares for and these come across well in the book. He tackles topics such as racism and domestic violence head on. Of course, depression, in which effectively ended his football career is also examined. His main frustration throughout the book is how he, and others, were mismanaged and misunderstood, saving most of his ill feeling for John Gregory.

As for the Southend exposure. Well he shares the club in a chapter with Forest. But gives nothing but praise as the following quotes wil show:-

“Who gives a f**k about Southend in the bigger scheme of things. But I understand”.

“I know even now that I could go down there any time and get a great reception. Which means a lot to me. They have got a Stan Collymore suite down at Roots Hall. I was a little disappointed I didn’t get the new stand named after me, seeing as my transfer to Forest funded it. But the suite will do for now”.

“That goal set me up for everything that was to come in my career. It seems ridiculous to invest so much importance in one strike at Roots Hall against Notts County, but it put me on a roll that didn’t end until after that”.

"They still sing my name now apparently, and I still look back on my days there and think in many ways they were the happiest of my career".

Interestingly he said when he was going for the Managers job at Southend, who did he want as his assistant? Dave Martin.

Overall the book offers an interesting insight into the life a professional and talented footballer who is dogged (sorry) by off field problems and the way in which these problems are wrongly reported and understood by the media and club management. Thankfully not a book that reads “And then we played Liverpool and lost 2-1, I played really well and ate an apple after the game” like certain other footballers. You buy books like these to understand what goes on behind the scenes. You can read match reports for yourself. A book that certainly does not shy away from naming names, highlighting those that have been a subject of his wrath in the past.

Get it and enjoy!

Stanley Stanley, what a legend.

Rich

Thanks for that.

Great to know he has good things to say about the team that put him on the map.

Stan... you may be a wayward son... but your a son of the Shrimpers none the less.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 08 2004,17:27)]Stan... you may be a wayward son... but your a son of the Shrimpers none the less.
Every family has a black sheep - doesn't make them any less a member of the family.....
blues.gif

Sorry lads,lost respect for the man a long time ago,he's a complete arse,and I cannot support a person who beats up women,if thats your sort of hero then so be it.

I think its very sad when he seems to delight in his lurid bed time tales and dogging moments to entice people to buy his book.

Sorry Stan I may have once chanted your name in the stands,but now I wouldn't give you the time of day

As Bigdel mentions as a person he may have lost the respect of a lot of people BUT for what he did on the pitch for Southend I will have nothing but happy memories.

The best of which will be him sticking two fingers up t the Milwall Supporters after scoring a typical 'Stan Goal' and causing a riot!

The only time I have been as happy as I was when he was playing was when we beat Col Ewe in the LDV!

The man is a Arse but a Southend Legend!

Just about sums up Southend United really!

Stan Collymore might have been the greatest player to ever play for Southend but he is a disgusting humsn being who wasted the talent God gave to him. He should still be playing in the Premiership today but wasted his career and now has to appear on reality shows to make his living.

Shows how arrogant he is to think we should have named a stand after him!
There is noway I would buy his book and that of that other woman beater Gazza. Thank goodness he didnt get the managers job we would have been in the conference now if he had.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ Oct. 09 2004,22:55)]Stan Collymore might have been the greatest player to ever play for Southend but he is a disgusting humsn being who wasted the talent God gave to him.
A "disgusting human being"
rock.gif
??

He's a footballer that just happenned to be famous enough for you to hear of his f**k ups. I'm sure if we knew everything you had done in your life there would be a few things you're not proud of - and the same would go for most of us. Get a grip mate, things aren't always carved in black and white and you just might not be the best judge of other people's lives.

Have to get round to buying it, but I think i'll read Nasser Hussain's book first to be honest.

Couldn't give a monkeys whether he gave that old brass Ulrika a slap or not he was and still is a Southend legend in my eyes and always gave 100 per cent for the club he loves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ Oct. 11 2004,11:40)]Couldn't give a monkeys whether he gave that old brass Ulrika a slap or not he was and still is a Southend legend in my eyes and always gave 100 per cent for the club he loves.
I couldnt agree more. I bloody love that bloke.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ Oct. 09 2004,22:55)]Stan Collymore might have been the greatest player to ever play for Southend but he is a disgusting humsn being who wasted the talent God gave to him. He should still be playing in the Premiership today but wasted his career and now has to appear on reality shows to make his living.

Shows how arrogant he is to think we should have named a stand after him!
There is noway I would buy his book and that of that other woman beater Gazza. Thank goodness he didnt get the managers job we would have been in the conference now if he had.
Its true that he wasted his talent and equally true that there are episodes in his life that have brought him shame. I sincerely hope he has remorse. It is still true that he was the greatest footballer to grace the Hall and the greatest I have seen play live. Not bad seeing as there are only a few of the so called greats that I have not seen in the last thirty years. If he has the humility to be sorry for his actions and ensure they are not replicated, then I have the humanity to forgive him. We all err. Some of us learn from this and some of us don't. Too many of us want to be judge and jury when we should be a friend.

To be honest when he described the Ulrika incident you could well understand a moment of madness. Picture the scene, you are an Englishman walking into a bar looking for the woman you love, who has worringly not come home when you were expecting her. You are greeted to the sight of a a whole bar full of Sweaties singing "get your tits out" at your missus who is a) drunk and b) serving them beer. At this point, one of the aforementioned Sweaties throws beer at you which you wear like a burning trophy of humiliation. You are desperate to nail the guy that threw it, but know you can't as the lone Englishman in a horrible, Sweaty-filled pub. All your instincts are screaming at you to get yourself and your girl out of there before something happens that you or someone else will regret.

It's at this point your missus tells you: "you can f*** off if you don't like it."

Now, I don't condone him giving her a slap but I can totally understand the sense of frustration and humiliation that he must have been feeling at that moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Oct. 10 2004,00:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ Oct. 09 2004,22:55)]Stan Collymore might have been the greatest player to ever play for Southend but he is a disgusting humsn being who wasted the talent God gave to him.
rock.gif
??

He's a footballer that just happenned to be famous enough for you to hear of his f**k ups. I'm sure if we knew everything you had done in your life there would be a few things you're not proud of - and the same would go for most of us. Get a grip mate, things aren't always carved in black and white and you just might not be the best judge of other people's lives.
Well one thing I haven't is beat up a woman!
People who do that are the scum of the Earth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ Oct. 12 2004,01:49)]
[b said:
[b said:
rock.gif
??

You have got too admit that sometimes they do deserve a right hander. Usually open palmed but if they really do something bad like burn the spuds a fist is sometimes the only way forward with them to understand.

BRING BACK THE BIRCH I SAY.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ Oct. 08 2004,19:14)]Sorry lads,lost respect for the man a long time ago,he's a complete arse,and I cannot support a person who beats up women,if thats your sort of hero then so be it.

I think its very sad when he seems to delight in his lurid bed time tales and dogging moments to entice people to buy his book.

Sorry Stan I may have once chanted your name in the stands,but now I wouldn't give you the time of day
Yep he's certainly my hero, and a f**king legend and ill tell him that when I get his book signed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ Oct. 12 2004,01:49)]
[b said:
[b said:
rock.gif
??

You sound like you have alot of anger in you CS, and carrying on in the enviroment you chose to I am sure its only a matter of time before you start giving your woman the odd wollop

Back