• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tactics and subs by the fans - Not the manager

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1289464,00.html

Most know that in the spread chatroom around the hour mark or so into a blues match, some of us are screaming at Tilly to make certain changes etc. because its what we think might get us the win...

Well i just saw the above on the sky news website - don't mind the article - look at the video on the right hand side - its about an Israeli team who are owned by the fans, with fans voting on what subsitutions or tactics to make before or even during the match! The coach's assistant has a laptop on the touchline to relay the information to the 'gaffer' :fart: They are of the opinion that this will be the way of the future in football around the world too...

Any thoughts?

Personally i think that while some of us like to make 'suggestions' on match day to tilly about his tactics - he knows the squad better than us, how players perform in training etc. and anyways - whats stopping a bunch of col u or orient fans logging on and suggesting we play flavs up front with lewis hunt, and putting matt harrold on his own in defence :thump:

We'd be either in the conference south looking forward to such matches as Bognor Regis away and recalling the glory days of our valiant battle against Forest Green to make it into the first round of the FA cup proper.

We'd be either in the conference south looking forward to such matches as Bognor Regis away and recalling the glory days of our valiant battle against Forest Green to make it into the first round of the FA cup proper.

At least TtK & Wiggy would finally feel they were being listened to (as we prepared for our local derby with Bishops Stortford!)

Erm, no.
This is a bit like that group who are trying to buy a football club (the name escapes me at the moment) and all the participants have an equal say in all aspects of the running of the club.

I just don't think it could ever be a long term success - there would be too much squabbling between the fans.

We could take it in turns picking the squad, what with the 12 or so fans that would be left..... remembering that Brian, our aging centre forward, can only play for 45 mins before his gammy leg gives up on him and Josh, our 16yr old "one for the future" midfield dynamo has to be home straight after the match so he can continue his A-Levels or his mum won't let him play Tuesday night games.

Noooo, Sheffield Josh didn't make the cut. Melvin "The Aggressive" Postie plays in central defence.

Call yourself a fan of my imaginary Southend United XI? Part timer.... you've forfitted your turn to play manager.... can you pass the moth eaten donkey jacket to John Cricko Crickson, manager extrodinaire and makeshift left back (just don't ask him to head the ball - the "old" legs aren't what they used to be)....

Last edited:
And surely what makes football so great / frustrating is that sense that you know better? If you actually DID make the decisions or were collectively responsible for a teams performance, you'd be racked with worry 24/7 - like when I drop players like, say, Elano in my Fantasy Football team...

Its the feeling of being part of a football club thats great, but there's limits

A football team cannot be run like a democracy, it has to have one bod at the top telling the players what to do imagine some of the people who post on here actually having a say on match days I would **** my pants

All that would mean is the teams with the biggest fan base would win. They would all "sign up" to their opposition and screw any tactics, and take off the players that are playing well against them.

Back