• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tactics thread

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Right, pitches.

Am fed up with my green pitch which is proving too slow scoring to bring about results (other than defeats for me).

What pitch is the quickest to bowl opponents out on? Don't mind going for runs as long as the wickets come quickly. Strike-rate is king.

I'm thinking maybe cracked, or possibly even trying hard and fast.

Certainly not H&F, always favours the batsmen. Cracked will be your best bet, especially as you have two quicks. Maybe uneven.

Personally I find weather influences the game more than the pitch anyway.

Yorkshire Blue said:
Right, pitches.

Am fed up with my green pitch which is proving too slow scoring to bring about results (other than defeats for me).

What pitch is the quickest to bowl opponents out on? Don't mind going for runs as long as the wickets come quickly. Strike-rate is king.

I'm thinking maybe cracked, or possibly even trying hard and fast.
You could try Slow, got a result by lunch on day 3 in my FC game last week. Admittedly it was like playing in Darwin (PC+H) for all 3 days though, and as B says, weather plays a huge part....

Certainly not H&F, always favours the batsmen. Cracked will be your best bet, especially as you have two quicks. Maybe uneven.

Personally I find weather influences the game more than the pitch anyway.

Yeah, but I can't influence the weather....

Hopefully Allan will include rain dances in the next update. You can only do so many rain-dances a year, but the more you do, the higher the chance of rain and the higher the chance of cloudcover.

Really want to avoid slow pitches, I want ones where players score quickly and then get out. Otherwise if I come up against a stronger opposition they have me in the field for 150 overs scoring 360, knackering my bowlers and meaning that's not enough time for me to win the game.

Will give cracked a go, but may try uneven as well.

Not sure how much I trust that, it says Flat is a spinners nightmare yet BFG took match figures of 9-30 (including their Elite++ batsman twice and 6 of the top 7 in the first innings) and Benji got 6-13 against the No. 3 ranked team in England. Whereas Digana (M) took 2-81 and Helmsley (FM) took 1-78.

Not sure how much I trust that, it says Flat is a spinners nightmare yet BFG took match figures of 9-30 (including their Elite++ batsman twice and 6 of the top 7 in the first innings) and Benji got 6-13 against the No. 3 ranked team in England. Whereas Digana (M) took 2-81 and Helmsley (FM) took 1-78.

i've never quite believed that tool either, my spinners do better in Green than that would suggest.

I've never really paid too much attention to the pitch and weather - maybe i should!!

I've currently got a Hard & Fast pitch and have been relatively successful with it. What other pitches do people have?

What sort of impact does the weather have on the outcome?

Do cracked pitches deteriorate? ie Are they harder to bat on on the 3rd day rather than the first?

I really should know the answer to this.

In my experience more wickets fall on day 3 on any pitch.

So on a cracked pitch with the weather humid and cloudy should I bat or field first?

Same conditions for me this week and I feel it's a big toss to win. I want to field first.

Any recommendations on my toss call for today? It's PC + H all week and is on a dusty pitch. I have two very fine spinners....runs on the board, or send them in?

I'm a few minutes too late but I tend to bat first if conditions are the same as in theory the pitch should deteriorate in some way. Though that does then create the potential difficulty of timing a declaration further down the line.

Back