• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Take care in the heat!

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Much as it’s great to see a photo of a packed Southend beach on BBC front page just remember to take extra precautions and certainly extra liquids over the next few days. It’s very rare that the UK outdoes HK (our max is 35-36 and the record not much more than that with overnight minimums in the late 20s) but we’re accustomed to it out here and air con helps massively.

Take 30 seconds to read the below and look out for your children and the elderly, apart from yourselves of course.

Much as it’s great to see a photo of a packed Southend beach on BBC front page just remember to take extra precautions and certainly extra liquids over the next few days. It’s very rare that the UK outdoes HK (our max is 35-36 and the record not much more than that with overnight minimums in the late 20s) but we’re accustomed to it out here and air con helps massively.

Take 30 seconds to read the below and look out for your children and the elderly, apart from yourselves of course.
Good advice @* ORM * . I did try reading 'the below' but I think it must have melted in the heat. :Winking:

I just took my pooch out and it's warm already, he won't be going out for the next couple of days......

Damn ha ha

Those heat exhaustion symptoms are not dissimilar to those experienced from watching the Shrimpers over the past few seasons…

In the heat it's tempting to open the windows but this can make things worse, if it's 28 inside and 35 outside all opening the windows will do is make the inside 35 as well. Closing the curtains is probably a good idea as well to stop the sun beaming in.

In the heat it's tempting to open the windows but this can make things worse, if it's 28 inside and 35 outside all opening the windows will do is make the inside 35 as well. Closing the curtains is probably a good idea as well to stop the sun beaming in.
Indeed. I'm working from home today so that I can look after my youngest son. He's 12 and would otherwise be at home by himself as my wife is working and my eldest son hasn't finished school yet. I've sacrificed a day in a nice air conditioned office as well!

Anyway, we had the windows open earlier today because the outside temperature was lower than the house. That has now equalised so we've closed the windows and pulled the blinds in the rooms that are currently facing the sun.

I'm currently sitting the dark with a nice home made iced latte!

My wife also volunteers with the foodbank attached to our local church. She told me last night that they have been messaging each other over the last day or so. The gist if the conversation was around being sensible and that they would have fewer people working in the actual foodbank etc etc.

My wife then asked what they were doing with people like her who actually do the deliveries. Their answer was that she was likely to be busier and might have to work extra hours as they have less staff in the foodbank and that they hope her car has air conditioning.

So, they're reducing the number of staff who serve people that come in but expecting the people that deliver and actually carry all the bags to people's houses to be busier!

She usually starts at around 1.30pm so she's going to be "working" during the hottest part of the day. I've told her to set a deadline and tell them she's not working passed that point regardless of whether or not she's finished. Thankfully she has to as our son has an orthodontist appointment this afternoon.

In an attempt to keep Dinner The Wondercat =^..^= cool, he's flopped out under a bush. I've wrapped a camping ice-pack in a towel and it's leaning on said feline. Maybe he'll get the idea.

Always wondered why people have the windows open when its hotter outside than inside. Closing the curtains is good, but its better to stop the sun hitting the windows in the first place. Creating shade on your windows is the best idea, either naturally (trees) or via a sail shade.

The hottest part of our house is luckily the back so I can hang a couple of big blankets to the outside of my windows, covering them. I've had a couple of neighbours leaning over their fences laugh and question what I was doing, but the house doesn't get to anything more than 24C / 25C. Will be interesting to see what it gets up to today.

Indeed. I'm working from home today so that I can look after my youngest son. He's 12 and would otherwise be at home by himself as my wife is working and my eldest son hasn't finished school yet. I've sacrificed a day in a nice air conditioned office as well!

Anyway, we had the windows open earlier today because the outside temperature was lower than the house. That has now equalised so we've closed the windows and pulled the blinds in the rooms that are currently facing the sun.

I'm currently sitting the dark with a nice home made iced latte!

Always wondered why people have the windows open when its hotter outside than inside. Closing the curtains is good, but its better to stop the sun hitting the windows in the first place. Creating shade on your windows is the best idea, either naturally (trees) or via a sail shade.

The hottest part of our house is luckily the back so I can hang a couple of big blankets to the outside of my windows, covering them. I've had a couple of neighbours leaning over their fences laugh and question what I was doing, but the house doesn't get to anything more than 24C / 25C. Will be interesting to see what it gets up to today.
As per the above.

It's currently 36 degrees outside and 26 in the house. That's with the blinds down and no blankets on the outside of the windows.

We're about to hit the hottest part of the day, so it will be interesting to see how much the house temperature rises.

I didn't think shutting stuff out would work at first, but...........windows shut, curtains drawn around the house. 25.4°C in the lounge, 23°C in the dining room and 40.01°C in the garden!!

I didn't think shutting stuff out would work at first, but...........windows shut, curtains drawn around the house. 25.4°C in the lounge, 23°C in the dining room and 40.01°C in the garden!!

It does actually work, though I do like my windows open. The other thing is fans, all they do is circulate hot air........I've got a dehumidifier, which acts like an AC unit which the pooch is enjoying because it's directly on him and I'm melting :(

When the suns not on the windows you can re-open the curtains and glance out and chuckle at those poor souls that have windows wide open hoping the breeze will somehow bring in cold air when its topping 36°C / 37°C outside

When the suns not on the windows you can re-open the curtains and glance out and chuckle at those poor souls that have windows wide open hoping the breeze will somehow bring in cold air when its topping 36°C / 37°C outside

And they will probably chuckle at you thinking how stuffy your home is right now.

33.4 degrees C where I am working.
Lucky enough to head into my works air conditioned office today. I feel for those that have to work in jobs where air conditioning is not an option. God help anyone on the underground today.

I had 4 2 litre bottles of chilled water which I had in my fridge waiting for the bin lorry to come along. It came along a little later than usual at 9:00 just as i was about to head to work so nipped back inside and gave them the water.

We are closing in on the hottest day ever recorded in Southend (36c - 10/08/2003)

Couple of places also closing in on the hottest day ever recorded in the UK (38.7c - Cambridge 25/07/2019)

Couple more hours heating to go yet. Will the record go?....if it doesn't today it surely will tomorrow.

We are closing in on the hottest day ever recorded in Southend (36c - 10/08/2003)

Couple of places also closing in on the hottest day ever recorded in the UK (38.7c - Cambridge 25/07/2019)

Couple more hours heating to go yet. Will the record go?....if it doesn't today it surely will tomorrow.

London must be reaching 41 right now.

Back