• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Mothers and Fathers,

Mrs DtS and I are getting hitched in July. I know this will be a blow to a lot of you (Both men and women) but I am sorry you cant have me.

Anyway as we have a 2 month old daughter who will for the mathmatically challenged amogst you be 9 months old on the day. Mrs DtS has said she is not worried about a honeymoon as such.

However I am keen to get the three of us a bit of a break in the summer. Speaking to my in-laws today they reckon taking a 9 month old away for a week is a total non-starter. They are however ivery defeatest in general.

I was looking for some info from the Mums and Dads on the board. I was thinking of just booking an all inclusive type job somewhere close to home (Spain, Portugal etc) as a suprise for Mrs DtS. My mate "In the closest" Kev is a top boy at Virgin Holidays and has said he will sort us out with a top hotel and room upgrade etc etc.

Is taking a child of 9 months old aborad for a week a total non-starter or have some of you out there done it? Any tips / Advice welcomed.

ta
DtS

I went away with my in laws last year which included my then six month old nephew and it wasn't a problem at all. Yes they get abit upset on the flight etc but I'd say as long as you're not leaving them on the beach at midday with fonly actor five on you should be fine.

Dave, am sure you've been on flights with young babies. Never straightforward, particularly during the recent no liquids thing. Their ears always trouble them, and the best way to deal with it is to be feeding (bottle or breast) which of course, you can't these days. All depends on how embarrassed you'll be. They seem to either sleep the whole way or cry the whole way, suppose it might depend on whether or not you've given them a massive dose of Infacol or even Phenergan (ask your doctor) beforehand.

Nappies are not a massive problem, most resorts these days have good quality ones available - food's more of an issue, and bearing in mind at that age you'll be into solids so unless you're happy for her to exist on jars you'll have to be quite careful.

Not sure if it might be worth considering, but honestly, for this year, I'd advise you to have at least a look at Center Parcs. They have them in the UK and Europe and are so perfectly geared up for families I really can't recommend them highly enough. Book yourself a nice executive villa and use the babysitting service, or go in a group.

I've got a 4 year old and a 1 year old and never fancied doing it. Just think it's too much hassle to take what you need. Went to Eurodisney twice, first with just the one 2 year old, the second time with a 3 year old and a 6 month old. Both times was fine as we drove.

Personally see nothing wrong with a holiday in this country, especially down Cornwall way.

My wife and I took our then two month old to Spain for a very long weekend, which was four nights/five days. I don't think a whole week would be any different.

At that age they are less of a problem than a true toddler because they'll sleep most of the journey and won't get bored and restless after an hour or so. Just make sure you have a feed ready for the descent and landing.

Our son ended up in hospital having a life saving hernia operation, but that's a different story, which I have mentioned on here before. Just don't let that put you off, it was a freak occurrence. The hospital care, however, was first class, so if the worst does happen don't assume that because you're out of the country the care won't be all that good.

I went away with my in laws last year which included my then six month old nephew and it wasn't a problem at all. Yes they get abit upset on the flight etc but I'd say as long as you're not leaving them on the beach at midday with fonly actor five on you should be fine.

You shouldn't put sun cream on a baby. You should keep them out of the sun.

Cheers to all concerned so far.

Been thinking of going the UK bot would just be nice to be able to guarantee the weather a bit.

July?

Get yourself a caravan,hitch it up and sod off to Devon for some r+r.

I can vividly recall dragging my poor twins at the age of 2 to 'orrid Spain.These places abroad don't have baby chairs,the restaurants aren't open 'till too late,on top of all that it'll be baking and your old lady will get proper moody with the stress of airports and people who don't speak English when you're out and about!

Best thing about my 'van is the kids absolutely love it and this country is so set up for the family days out,you don't have to go abroad anymore.We've been away twelve times in '08,be it for a weekender or 4x seven dayers and loved each one of them.With rates ranging from £8 per night to £25 it is certainly cheap,meaning you can spend more money on the days out!

Last edited:
When my oggy was 2 weeks old we took him to spain,no probs,stop being a tart and book a week in the dam for your family,everything you need,smoke,whores for you and her and the baby will like the look of the flowers.

I took my 11 month year old last year. The only problem was the amount of stuff we took on the flight. Our Bags, changing bag, toys, pushchair. Would of been okay but miss u had to carry nipper so i was left like a tit in a trance.

mr dave the shrimper,

although not as exciting on paper as a trip abroad, Newquay in july would be ace.

Cheers mate,

Had been thinking of that or somewhere there just lacks a bit of the pizzazz of the south of france or portugal.

If you fancy driving to the south of french france or even spain you are more than welcome to stop of here,and we could swap partners for the night,lush.

Been on a few holidays with my little ones. Two years ago we took son (7) and daughter (3 months) to eurodisney, and it was hard work. Then took them both 6 months later on a cruise and it was a piece of ****, the stewards loved having kids on the ship, loads for them and us to do.

Wouldn't fancy flying with them, but would def recommend a cruise. Even checking in etc is easier, as you'll have enough to lug around with the baby, let alone cases etc. In fact we are taking them both, and our new boy (who will be 7 months) on a cruise in April.

ps they make baby food for them which is really important, as even at 9 months they can;t have steak meals.

nice idea but not worth the agg. The flight will be grim then you have to worry about too much sun, the food, the water-little kids as sensitive to change- then if you fancy dossing outside a bar for a few hours you have to worry about what to do with the baby. I would say leave the baby with the grandparents - they will love it - and just take the wife. Take the baby next year when it will be a bit tougher and more responsive to what's going on.

We did a few flights with both our kids when they were less than a year old. My daughter was only 6 months when she flew to Australia for the first time and when we emigrated my son was only 10 months. In addition we took my eldest to Monaco when she was only a baby and flew to Florida last year when my boy was only about 3 months old.

I actually think it's easier to do it at that age than when they are talking and walking around - my daughter at 3 and a bit was much harder work than my son on the flight to Oz in August. At that age you have to keep them occupied more to stop them running around and causing havoc.

The airline staff are usually very helpful and if you can get one of the seats where they have a fold down baby cot then your child may even sleep for much of the flight - you just have to hold them in your arms for take off and landing. The baby milk is not an issue - if you are taking it already made up they just ask you to taste a little as you go through (OK not the most pleasant experience ever but not a real hardship).

Having said all that though some of the best holidays we've had since kids came along has been in a caravan at somewhere like a Haven Holiday camp or in a chalet at Butlins. The kids enjoy those more than somewhere flash and for me it really took me back to the holidays we had as kids.

If you fancy driving to the south of french france or even spain you are more than welcome to stop of here,and we could swap partners for the night,lush.

Not sure Tone,

My Mrs is my prized asset and after our recent chat about what you would do to her Mum I am not sure I would get her back in one peice.

Back