• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tales Of The Ales

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
With thanks to Pubey for starting 'The Beer Thread' ... this is a variant on this particular theme. Some of you may have hopped onto the 'On The Road Again' thread from time-to-time (in the 'Away Travel' forum). I would ideally have liked other good SZ folk to have contributed there and have felt a little guilty about hogging this particular thread, but I've wanted the show to go on (the road again) despite the lack of other stories/views etc. I'm hoping this one might just invite more contributions. As you can see, I've set it in 'The Pub' forum as it's where most of us go before a game if we can ... and after too. Without further ado, this thread is designed to invite stories about the pubs you visit before a game. Tell us about the beers and the scene there, so we can be prepared next time around ... I'll tell you about 'The Great Western' in Exeter very soon ...

The Great Western Hotel, Exeter (19.12.09)

... was signposted by Richie C, my fellow Cornish exile. Turn left out of Exeter St. David's and you'll see it on the corner of the main road ahead. Swing doors greet you (cue 'What Made Milwaukee Famous') and you veer away from the reception area of this hotel towards the bar on your right. A wee treasure trove of real ale hand-pumps await your choice ... seasonal options include Bays' 'Jingles' currently (4.2%), a great 'starter for ten,' if ever there was one. Richie joined me in that choice, but we diverged after that. He stayed 'seasonal' with 'Santa's Steam,' but I went for Branksome's, and then felt envious of his head of steam. I went steamin' subsequently but I forget what he had. It helped cushion the blow of defeat and whatever 'Devon Exile' says, TGWH harbours a cracking little boozer and is well worth a visit if you prefer your pubs a little bit more local and independent. Shrimpero's rating: 7/10.

Best pub in Exeter, by a country mile, is the 'Double Locks', at the back of the Marsh Barton industrial estate. Fantastic range of ales straight from the barrels behind the bar plus a Fry up and a pint for breakfast. Spent some great biker weekends there plus they have a volleyball court in the garden to wear off the effects of the beer. Best pub in this country (and I've been to a lot) 10/10

Best pub in Exeter, by a country mile, is the 'Double Locks', at the back of the Marsh Barton industrial estate. Fantastic range of ales straight from the barrels behind the bar plus a Fry up and a pint for breakfast. Spent some great biker weekends there plus they have a volleyball court in the garden to wear off the effects of the beer. Best pub in this country (and I've been to a lot) 10/10

Been there with Richie C.It's good for a lunctime pint(or two)but a bit twee for my taste.

On arrival in Exeter at about 1.50pm tired and thirsty after a long coach journey we went to a pub called The Duke of York, about 5 minutes walk from St. James Park. The only Ale (that I saw anyway!) they had was Otter which was very nice, the pub was alright the barstaff were friendly and we didn't have any bother. 6/10

On arrival in Exeter at about 1.50pm tired and thirsty after a long coach journey we went to a pub called The Duke of York, about 5 minutes walk from St. James Park. The only Ale (that I saw anyway!) they had was Otter which was very nice, the pub was alright the barstaff were friendly and we didn't have any bother. 6/10

The Duke of York, i have some happy memories of that pub, non of them football related, more to do with ladies, i spent alot of time in there with one particular lady (i use that term lightly) and then took her back to a dodgy b&b where i broke her in not so gently before spending a year with the nympho!

The Duke of York, i have some happy memories of that pub, non of them football related, more to do with ladies, i spent alot of time in there with one particular lady (i use that term lightly) and then took her back to a dodgy b&b where i broke her in not so gently before spending a year with the nympho!

Tales of the wails perhaps ... ? :stunned:

I do like Exeter. So much so that while I lived there I made it my mission to beat a path to many of the pubs and clubs to sample the ale and see if it was kept as well as mine. It has probably changed somewhat since my days there but next time any of you visit try a few of these places.

The Prince Albert, St Thomas Street - It may well have changed it's name by now but the interesting thing about it is it is owned and run by The Saturns Slaves Hells Angels. Don't let that put you off, they really turned the place around and keep a very decent pint. Unsurprisingly, you wont get any trouble in there unless you are truly stupid but avoid playing any of them at pool, sharks the lot of them.

The Coach & Horses, Blackboy Road - 5 minutes from the ground and had a excellent rep for Real Ale which considering it used to be a Whitbread pub is nothing short of a miracle. If it's still there then worth a look.

The Victoria - I forget the name of the road but it's a walk past the away end, chuck a right then straight up that road. Proper locals pub but the beer and food was legend when I was in those parts.

The Ship & Pelican - Again I forget the road it's on but the ale in there was second only to mine (and yes, I will blow my own trumpet as I kept the best Ale in Exeter at the time) Amazing really considering the place was run by a yank called Joe Maggio who called everything on the bar 'beers' even the cider!!

The Bowling Green, Blackboy Road - Since the place was taken over by Greenalls it probably isn't worth a toss now but back in the day it had the best jukebox, best Ale and the only pub in Exeter with a Southend pennant hanging over the bar, even when The Sly Crew drank in there. Pop your head in there and smile over the fact that even in deepest Devon a little piece of Essex was alive and well while I had the place.

Clevor Trever (Birkbeck) ...

I do like Exeter. So much so that while I lived there I made it my mission to beat a path to many of the pubs and clubs to sample the ale and see if it was kept as well as mine. It has probably changed somewhat since my days there but next time any of you visit try a few of these places.

The Prince Albert, St Thomas Street - It may well have changed it's name by now but the interesting thing about it is it is owned and run by The Saturns Slaves Hells Angels. Don't let that put you off, they really turned the place around and keep a very decent pint. Unsurprisingly, you wont get any trouble in there unless you are truly stupid but avoid playing any of them at pool, sharks the lot of them.

The Coach & Horses, Blackboy Road - 5 minutes from the ground and had a excellent rep for Real Ale which considering it used to be a Whitbread pub is nothing short of a miracle. If it's still there then worth a look.

The Victoria - I forget the name of the road but it's a walk past the away end, chuck a right then straight up that road. Proper locals pub but the beer and food was legend when I was in those parts.

The Ship & Pelican - Again I forget the road it's on but the ale in there was second only to mine (and yes, I will blow my own trumpet as I kept the best Ale in Exeter at the time) Amazing really considering the place was run by a yank called Joe Maggio who called everything on the bar 'beers' even the cider!!

The Bowling Green, Blackboy Road - Since the place was taken over by Greenalls it probably isn't worth a toss now but back in the day it had the best jukebox, best Ale and the only pub in Exeter with a Southend pennant hanging over the bar, even when The Sly Crew drank in there. Pop your head in there and smile over the fact that even in deepest Devon a little piece of Essex was alive and well while I had the place.

Some great research here, GHG, and I will ensure that I have this info with me when next making the journey 'up there.'

I've heard that there's a good boozer near the O's ground called 'The Birkbeck.' Anyone in the know care to enlighten other Beer Hunters please - description and detail a la GHG much appreciated! :clap:

Think youwill find all out of date - best pubs in Exeter now are the Great Western, Imperial, Well House & the City Gate all GBG entries and deservedly so.

Think youwill find all out of date - best pubs in Exeter now are the Great Western, Imperial, Well House & the City Gate all GBG entries and deservedly so.

Yes but it was still an excellent description of the Exeter pub scene by someone who clearly knows(and loves)what he's talking/writing about.
Heresy I know but Camera and the Good Beer Guide don't have the monopoly of wisdom in this area that they clearly aspire to.:soapbox:

Stopped at The Great Western couple of weeks ago when we were down there for the game. Very good selection of Ales, only downside is the bar is quite small and it seemed to take some time to get served.

The Jolly Porter over the road was also good, smaller selection of Ales, but still an interesting pub with an open fire in the corner, also had an area with pool table and jukebox.

Yes but it was still an excellent description of the Exeter pub scene by someone who clearly knows(and loves)what he's talking/writing about.
Heresy I know but Camera and the Good Beer Guide don't have the monopoly of wisdom in this area that they clearly aspire to.:soapbox:

Original posting was years and years out of date - thanks for the advice from someone who has only been to Exeter once (with me) and knows lots about British pubs

- thanks for the advice from someone who has only been to Exeter once (with me) and knows lots about British pubs

Richard,
If you're referring to me,then the first part of this statment is NOT correct(as I've also been to Exeter on a couple of occasions with my wife and kids and even stayed there overnight with RH in the past, en route to our game at Torquay the next day) though the second part certainly is!:)

Last edited:
Richard,
If you're referring to me,then the first part of this statment is NOT correct(as I've also been to Exeter on a couple of occasions with my wife and kids and even stayed there overnight with RH in the past, en route to our game at Torquay the next day) though the second part certainly is!:)

Nice to see that you are still a fully paid up member of the TBS !

No its a way of telling you that you have been wound up - Happy New Year!

And a Happy New Year to you too, Sir.
Still don't get the "wind up" though.:dim:
April Fools Day is some way off and you're too late for the Spanish version (El Dia de los Inocentes)which was on the 28th December.:)

Last edited:
Back