• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Talking with a forked tongue.

onceknownasrab

President
I wonder what some of the players make of the selections?

Bishop - SCP " You've done well but I need to go with experience at the moment."

Translation; You are so far behind a long term crock with unproven fitness. I have overlooked that Ox doesn't come off his line or command the box and I don't have to justify my selections, regardless of how bemusing they might be.

Kelman/Wabo - SCP " I am such a hero for giving you kids some first team experience."

Translation; Well Bunn is back and I would rather play him up front for him to do nothing than play him where he plays best, out wide, and obviously he is a much better striker than you two. I don't even need to give you many minutes to know I am right.

Turner/Lightly - SCP " Show these saplings the benefit of all your experience.'

Translation;. You're past it but I really do not know what I am doing.

I think I would like to be a fly on the wall in the manager's office but I still doubt I would be any the wiser what goes on in his noggin.

I wonder what some of the players make of the selections?

Bishop - SCP " You've done well but I need to go with experience at the moment."

Translation; You are so far behind a long term crock with unproven fitness. I have overlooked that Ox doesn't come off his line or command the box and I don't have to justify my selections, regardless of how bemusing they might be.

Kelman/Wabo - SCP " I am such a hero for giving you kids some first team experience."

Translation; Well Bunn is back and I would rather play him up front for him to do nothing than play him where he plays best, out wide, and obviously he is a much better striker than you two. I don't even need to give you many minutes to know I am right.

Turner/Lightly - SCP " Show these saplings the benefit of all your experience.'

Translation;. You're past it but I really do not know what I am doing.

I think I would like to be a fly on the wall in the manager's office but I still doubt I would be any the wiser what goes on in his noggin.

Are these quotations actually quotations?

I would like to hope not but who knows how close they are? I am trying to work out the justifications of selection. If I could understand that I might be able to see what the hell he is trying to do.

I understand what you're trying to say , and for the life of me I think a lot of Powells decisions have been baffling this season ( even before some of the injuries kicked in ) , but I would say 99 out of 100 managers would bring back their experienced keeper in the position we are in.
Oxley was POTY last season if my memory serves me correctly ?
Playing a kid , who has done ok IMO , when we are really up against it and have a defence who are being pulled apart , is not the right thing to do in my view.

As for Wabo and Kelman - look I'm sure Powell wants to save his job , so in that sense he must think ( from training etc , or other things we dont know ? ) that neither of them can do the job right now of winning us games.
yes , Powell does not seem very tactically astute ( understatement of the year ) , but he isn't going to deliberatly make his life harder if he thought these two could save him - is he ?

Part of the reason we are where we are is that we have been forced to give our younger players a lot of game time. As well as Nathan and Elvis have played at times, they are not yet better than the experienced players.

One of the few plus points this season has been the amount of game time the youngsters have had. They will all have gained from that and undoubtedly we have some very promising young players.

I am in no way criticising them at all, they certainly haven't let themselves or the team down but you must go for experience at the moment.

Fan: “I’d like a lukewarm bone dry burger please”

Translation: “why isn’t there any decent food around here that looks and tastes like it was once (recently) part of something living, covered in onions?!”

I understand what you're trying to say , and for the life of me I think a lot of Powells decisions have been baffling this season ( even before some of the injuries kicked in ) , but I would say 99 out of 100 managers would bring back their experienced keeper in the position we are in.
Oxley was POTY last season if my memory serves me correctly ?
Playing a kid , who has done ok IMO , when we are really up against it and have a defence who are being pulled apart , is not the right thing to do in my view.

As for Wabo and Kelman - look I'm sure Powell wants to save his job , so in that sense he must think ( from training etc , or other things we dont know ? ) that neither of them can do the job right now of winning us games.
yes , Powell does not seem very tactically astute ( understatement of the year ) , but he isn't going to deliberatly make his life harder if he thought these two could save him - is he ?

This is the whole point of this thread I suppose. Does Powell actually believe the constant tinkering will help, because personally I think it contributes to half of our problems.

Laying off Bish on Saturday in favour of Oxley proves my point. It also proves that Oxley is not the keeper he used to be. It's ok people blaming Turner for that goal, yes he was to blame but equally so was Oxley. I have watched that about 20 times now, both were at fault. Bishop probably would have stopped that.

I too think that Bishop would have got the ball. He never seems reluctant to come off his line and usually seems very decisive once the decision has been made. In fact he reminds me of an old fashioned goalkeeper, one not averse to diving at forwards' feet to get the ball... something that is rarely seen these days.

Yes I agree Bishop may well have been more decisive with the goal. However, without wishing to pass blame, would Oxley have done better with Scunthorpe's 1st and 3rd on Tuesday. Who knows and i am certainly not blaming Bishop . For a young keeper, who was 3rd choice at the start of the season, he has exceeded most expectations.
However, i would say Turner was as much to blame for Wimbledon's goal.

My other half isn't a football fan at all but I showed him the goal we conceded, (which he very politely watched) and his comment was 'why didn't the defender bloke just kick it out'.

This is the whole point of this thread I suppose. Does Powell actually believe the constant tinkering will help, because personally I think it contributes to half of our problems.

Laying off Bish on Saturday in favour of Oxley proves my point. It also proves that Oxley is not the keeper he used to be. It's ok people blaming Turner for that goal, yes he was to blame but equally so was Oxley. I have watched that about 20 times now, both were at fault. Bishop probably would have stopped that.

First game back from a long term injury and you're already writing off Oxley as "not the keeper he used to be"? Incredible.

Simple answer to the original question is that experienced pros are usually safer bets than youth players. There's been plenty of strikers in past youth teams for us that people were constantly calling to start... that have ended up amounting to nothing. I'd trust the guy that watches them in training on a daily basis personally.

I'm a big fan of Bishop but Oxley was our player of the season last year and it's not like Bishop hasn't made mistakes of his own (it was only the previous game against Scunthorpe where he slipped for their 3rd). You also have to consider the sort of pressure the lad's been put under recently, a break could do him good.

First game back from a long term injury and you're already writing off Oxley as "not the keeper he used to be"? Incredible.

Simple answer to the original question is that experienced pros are usually safer bets than youth players. There's been plenty of strikers in past youth teams for us that people were constantly calling to start... that have ended up amounting to nothing. I'd trust the guy that watches them in training on a daily basis personally.

I'm a big fan of Bishop but Oxley was our player of the season last year and it's not like Bishop hasn't made mistakes of his own (it was only the previous game against Scunthorpe where he slipped for their 3rd). You also have to consider the sort of pressure the lad's been put under recently, a break could do him good.

I totally agree BUT I am not writing off Oxley on one game as you state, I don't think he has been as good as last season , and have said it for the last 6 months or so.

I also think Oxley being selected what not his fault (only one man selects the team), and I also think it was really unfair on Bishop who for his age has been brilliant, worked hard and earnt his first team place.

As for Bishop being under pressure, HE pushed to be in the first team. With that comes pressure and responsibility.

I would start with Oxley, he doesn't become a bad keeper overnight despite the calamity on Saturday. He now knows he has serious competition for his place which is exactly what you want for all positions, this should keep him alert.

I would start with Oxley, he doesn't become a bad keeper overnight despite the calamity on Saturday. He now knows he has serious competition for his place which is exactly what you want for all positions, this should keep him alert.

Indeed he does not. It's been more of a gradual deterioration from the very high standards he attained last season.

I think the issue is more that Oxley was thrown back into the first team without any game time after his injury. As much as goalkeeping isn't quite the same as being on pitch where you need to be match fit, I think you still need some reserve game time under your belt to get you back up to speed.

I think Bishop is likely to be with England this weekend so Oxley will be in goal against Peterborough.

I would have played Bishop last weekend, given Oxley 90 mins in the U23's yesterday then he would have been ready for this weekend

Back