• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

united we stand

Life President⭐
PR gaff perhaps, but at the end of the day, the old bloke has enjoyed 12 seasons of football for free

plus i dont buy that stuff about being on a pension meaning he wont be able to now afford the ticket. there are plenty of people who come to Roots Hall who are on a pension (cricko for example) and pay a damn site more than £120 a season.

Unfortunately football has moved on a lot since 1999, especially in a financial sense, and agreements that were made then (by people who arent in charge anymore) are unfortunately not as relevent as they are today.

The article is a little sketchy on what the full reasons for the freebie and the extent of the promise were, but equally given our perilous situation financially you would have thought someone would have wanted to support the club financially and not just because it doesn't cost them anything to do so.....

Mixed feelings about it.........a little hard but then again we now live in a hard world, with not many free meal tickets. A season ticket at £120 sounds reasonable. Generally in agreement with Davros.

That's the first I've heard of the Chairman's Club. Seems like that's part of Tara's argument too.

Bad PR gaff by club in my opinion. You honour your promises!

but do you honour someone else's promises?

and

should you makes promises for things that you dont have control of the future of?

With the club on this one. Maybe should've spoken with these people face to face rather than breaking it in a letter, if they've collected a freebie for many years then if you are going to take it away at least have the nuts to sit them down 1-1 and explain that we're a business and not a charity and that you'll do a half price season ticket for life and they can have a VIP package for one game as a way of making up for it. Surely half a bottle of wine, David Crown and a roast dinner wouldn't be too much to part with to say "sorry, but we've got to make some moolah"?

PR gaff perhaps, but at the end of the day, the old bloke has enjoyed 12 seasons of football for free

plus i dont buy that stuff about being on a pension meaning he wont be able to now afford the ticket. there are plenty of people who come to Roots Hall who are on a pension (cricko for example) and pay a damn site more than £120 a season.

Unfortunately football has moved on a lot since 1999, especially in a financial sense, and agreements that were made then (by people who arent in charge anymore) are unfortunately not as relevent as they are today.

Agree. With all due respect to him, I don't think this man can complain when he's had a free season ticket for the last 11/12 years when everyone else has to pay full price. The club is in a tight financial situation, I'm sure he knows that and if he doesn't want to pay half-price for a season ticket, which I bet he can afford really, then he's not a very loyal supporter. It may not be very good for PR but what Brady is doing at the moment is right for the club.

Yeah I also have mixed feelings. I bet there's a lot of pensioners who pay for their ticket who'd also love a freebie. Would have been more sensible to have given the old boy 1 free season as a loyalty reward, then the usual concession thereafter. Maybe I'm being unfair but I actually think the chap is being a bit ungracious, I'd like to think in his postion I'd be saying 'oh well I've had 12 free years, can't complain, times are hard for the club' etc etc. But no doubt the Echo is twisting his words anyway.

We can't afford to keep this bloke in for free when there are thousands beating down the door to take his seat... oh.

He would of seen enough ups and downs over the last 11-12 seasons to last a life time! lol

As there are/was only 44 of them I would have thought that it would have been better for Tara to forget about it. If the ground was full every week I could see more of an argument, in view of our finacial position, but it doesn't look good. Maybe he could have written to them and said in view of the clubs lack of cash would they, as people who have wanted the best for the club, for go their free tickets.

Wasn't Ron involved with the club then so perhaps he can tell Tara what the idea behind it was as I thought Main was just Ron's puppet anyway. I suspect this was just a 'good idea' at the time.

Be interested to know how many of the 44 still go and what their contribution to the club was.

I do feel sorry for the chap, he's clearly been a loyal supporter of the club for a long time, but as others have said he's had a free ticket for 12 years, that's pretty good. It may seem harsh but tough decisions have to be made when you're in a situation like ours, and it seems no stone is being left unturned in order to keep us afloat. Maybe there are better ways to have gone about it though as Crawliano & twobob have said.

Can't find any other reference to it on here, but did anyone see the bit in the Echo about Brady having the numbers '657' on his boxing shorts? Now he states it's because he used to serve food & drink from a trolley on the 6:57 train from Portsmouth & nothing to do with the Pompey 657 firm who also used to travel on the same train.

Can't find any other reference to it on here, but did anyone see the bit in the Echo about Brady having the numbers '657' on his boxing shorts? Now he states it's because he used to serve food & drink from a trolley on the 6:57 train from Portsmouth & nothing to do with the Pompey 657 firm who also used to travel on the same train.

Who cares?!?!?!?!?!?

Back