• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Taxi recommendations

Supershrimper

First XI⭐
My wife has booked a beer tasting at leigh brewery and not realised that its not actually based in leigh near the train station but its actually by progress road a good 2.5 miles away.

Anyone got any taxi recommendations in the Southend Area

My wife has booked a beer tasting at leigh brewery and not realised that its not actually based in leigh near the train station but its actually by progress road a good 2.5 miles away.

Anyone got any taxi recommendations in the Southend Area
I would pick up some cans at Tesco on Leigh Broadway and enjoy a couple of travellers walking to Progress Road.

That should take under 45 minutes to walk. It’ll help clear your head for work the next day too!

Thanks Paul, not really one for us though. We only really do the longer runs now.

I disagree, taxis on meters still have their pre-set tariffs. This would be a metered job from anywhere locally.

Quite right, OBL.

All the taxis and private hire cars operating in Southend use a standard metered tariff.

There has recently been agreed an additional flat rate 40p per hire granted in recognition of the increase in fuel prices, I know because I sat on the Licensing Committee that agreed it on 23rd March. That will apply to all Southend City Council licensed taxis regardless of who operates them.

Quite right, OBL.

All the taxis and private hire cars operating in Southend use a standard metered tariff.

There has recently been agreed an additional flat rate 40p per hire granted in recognition of the increase in fuel prices, I know because I sat on the Licensing Committee that agreed it on 23rd March. That will apply to all Southend City Council licensed taxis regardless of who operates them.
Exactly. Of course, an Uber would be a different matter entirely, they will surge their prices as suits them.

Ordering a cab in Southend at the moment is a nightmare. The "5-10 minutes" they promise often turns into 20-25 minutes. Don't even bother ordering a cab on the apps... they only work if the driver wants to take the job apparently. There also seems to be a real scarcity of cars at the moment.

Personally, I cannot wait until Uber hits Southend... might give the firms operating in Southend a kick up the jacksy.

Ordering a cab in Southend at the moment is a nightmare. The "5-10 minutes" they promise often turns into 20-25 minutes. Don't even bother ordering a cab on the apps... they only work if the driver wants to take the job apparently. There also seems to be a real scarcity of cars at the moment.

Personally, I cannot wait until Uber hits Southend... might give the firms operating in Southend a kick up the jacksy.
That's because so many cab drivers gave up during the pandemic and found other work because they couldn't survive on £10 or so a day, and have found that a regular pay packet and hours is preferable to the **** that they have to put up with day in and day out from users.

I'm glad you're looking forward to Uber coming to Southend, all those drivers from Barking and Dagenham that haven't got a clue where they're going, relying entirely on sat navs and with them come the inevitable abuse of single women passengers. Was talking to a black cab driver last week about this, so much is suppressed in the press! #Supportlocal

Last edited:
Sadly quite a number of cabbies already rely upon sat-nav. With Uber it's a pre-set route for a pre-set price, even during the surge you're aware of the pricing. I've been using Uber for years and have never had a problem, even my daughters in their respective Uni towns use them happily. There may be rotten apples in every barrel.

Sadly quite a number of cabbies already rely upon sat-nav. With Uber it's a pre-set route for a pre-set price, even during the surge you're aware of the pricing. I've been using Uber for years and have never had a problem, even my daughters in their respective Uni towns use them happily. There may be rotten apples in every barrel.
Is that not radio cars/private hire? I thought licenced taxi drivers still had to pass "the knowledge" in what ever area they are licenced by? I.e. City of Southend.

Is that not radio cars/private hire? I thought licenced taxi drivers still had to pass "the knowledge" in what ever area they are licenced by? I.e. City of Southend.
In Southend they do, but in Castle Point, the owners of the two big cab companies, petitioned the council and got them to agree to drop it. Means they can employ out of area cab drivers on their circuits so quids in for them both on circuit fees and on cab hire to the drivers. Shocking.

One of those owners died during the pandemic, and his family have actually gone into partnership with Uber. That's gone down like a lead balloon in this area - for all his many faults, he always stood firm against Uber.

Again, these will be out of area drivers who have private hire licences rather than Hackney carriage ones.

There are indeed rotten apples in every barrel, and there have been a few Hackney carriage drivers but nowhere near the number of Uber drivers. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole in the UK.

Again, these will be out of area drivers who have private hire licences rather than Hackney carriage ones.

There are indeed rotten apples in every barrel, and there have been a few Hackney carriage drivers but nowhere near the number of Uber drivers. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole in the UK.
At least with Uber you don't have to listen to a load of West Ham or Spurs bollocks

Back