• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Taxi recommendations

Never had an issue with using uber in towns and cities across the world. I don't tend to use it in London but it's helpful as a simple system in a place you're not particularly familiar with, and knowing you can pay via your phone and record expenses, see the route, know the approximate price is great. Several bad experiences with regular cabbies and other private hire drivers, just to provide some balance.

Never had an issue with using uber in towns and cities across the world. I don't tend to use it in London but it's helpful as a simple system in a place you're not particularly familiar with, and knowing you can pay via your phone and record expenses, see the route, know the approximate price is great. Several bad experiences with regular cabbies and other private hire drivers, just to provide some balance.

When I was working in the US around Philadelphia my company told me to use Uber for all personal transport and just bill it to my company Amex.

I found the quality of Uber vehicles to be a lot nicer than that of private hire firms - many of whom bizarrely used ex police vehicles. The exteriors had been repainted but the interiors still stickers about gun storage and prisoner safety in place.

When I was working in the US around Philadelphia my company told me to use Uber for all personal transport and just bill it to my company Amex.

I found the quality of Uber vehicles to be a lot nicer than that of private hire firms - many of whom bizarrely used ex police vehicles. The exteriors had been repainted but the interiors still stickers about gun storage and prisoner safety in place.
My company has an 'Uber for Business' partnership, so we're also actively encouraged to use uber over other companies or black cabs. For me it puts to bed the argument that they're 'not safe' relative to other private hire companies/black cabs.

In Dubai they have Careem which worked really well, you could message the driver before pick up, and you can specify the basic yellow cab or the slightly better one. Only one bad driver out of about 15 or so.

I remember using taxis in Sydney and the insides were like a plastic bubble. You could chunder and it was wipe clean. The driver was protected from any drunken mo-fo with a knife. Thought it was a great idea and amazed that more places don't have it.

Thanks coming to my TED talk.

I remember using taxis in Sydney and the insides were like a plastic bubble. You could chunder and it was wipe clean. The driver was protected from any drunken mo-fo with a knife. Thought it was a great idea and amazed that more places don't have it.

Thanks coming to my TED talk.
That is possibly because the locals can't handle their beer.

I had the same experience in Los Angeles a few weeks back, the taxi from the airport to the hotel was a horrendous journey in some grotty old Prius with no air con. A week later and we asked the hotel reception the best taxi service to get back to the airport and they said don't bother booking a local taxi, they most likely won't even bother turning up and just to use Uber which turned out better in every conceivable way.

Maybe it's a US thing as I've hardly ever* had problems with taxis in the UK.

*was going to say never until trying to get a taxi from Shoeburyness to Southchurch the other week after the Southend Half Marathon and the taxi didn't turn up.

Maybe it's a US thing as I've hardly ever* had problems with taxis in the UK.

I got a taxi from Southend to Benfleet pre pandemic and the driver (aged around 65) started telling me how young his previous few girlfriends were and then started telling me about his music career.

Next thing I know he has inserted a CD and is singing Frank Sinatra songs for the rest of the journey.

Back