• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Teaching English in Africa/Travel to Ethopia

pickledseal

cowboy
I have been offered an oppatunity to take part in the above this summer for 6 weeks with the charities CAFOD and Trocaire. It's teaching in both urban and rural areas (Tigray region) and staying within a compound run by the Sisters of Charity (in Mekelle town) who work out there running schools and health centres.

Just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar expereince and would like to offer me more information or more of an insight as obviously it is quite a big deal (and not all the family are convinced...). Got to make up my mind by Monday so pressure is on a little this weekend!!

Any nuggets of information and advice would be gratefully recieved! :)

Can't help you out, sorry but I'm aiming to do something similar next summer, hopefully 10 weeks in India or Africa.

I'd jump at the opportunity...if I could do it today I'd be off. Some of the kindest, sweetest people I've met are those who have nothing.

I was born in Addis. My brother works in Ethiopia quite often. I would say go for it, a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a wonderful part of Africa and meet some really nice people. If you have more specific questions, PM me and I will do my best to answer them with the help of my brother.

Haven't done anything like it myself, but my advice would be go for it.

I seem to recall that you are a teacher anyway, so its presumably during your summer holidays, you'll still be getting paid whilst away and you've a job to return to. Its only six weeks so you won't be away from friends and family for very long. So what is there to hold you back?

Good luck and enjoy it.

Worked in west africa and i urge you to take up this offer,three things that come to mind and that is the heat,the heat and lastly the heat.
We did a bit of extra work which involved emptying some containers sent out to the compound where we were working,bit sad pulling out xmass presents for the local nuns in april,still better late then never.
Do have all your jabs and deffo be hot on your malaria course as i caught a dose and its not nice,go enjoy but do get out and see the country in all its bear bones glorly,it will make you feel lucky,if you dont already.

I spent 2 months in South Africa (Not quite Ethopia i know), Swaziland and Lestho. The latter two are among the poorest of African nations. I worked in an orphange for a month. If you ahve the opportunity, do it. Don't look back, it will change your life only for the better and will put stuf in to perspctive.

Do it, do it, do it. I've always wanted to go to Ethiopa - seems like an incredible country, amazing churches with massive painted murals, and the supposed resting place of the Ark of the Covenant. Go, and have an awesome time, and take photos. Oh, and take a Blues shirt and convert them to the way of the Shrimper!

:D

Oh, and bring me back some coffee. Lots of it.

:)

I'm sick to the back teeth of working in the City but too lazy, and have too many of life's luxuries (eg a wife !!!) to do anything about it. I sit there all day having to listen to complete arseholes talking utter bollocks. Many a time I watch some news item or other about people far worse off than ourselves and wish I could make a real difference - ie not a charitable donation.

You have the opportunity of a lifetime. I'm quite jealous and I say go for it. Why the hesitation ?

Mate get onthe phone tell them you are going otherwise you will regret it till the day you die I am sure.

Living and working abroad especially in places which are very disimilar to the UK is a great experience and will give you a much broader outlook on not just people but life itself. I have lived in Sao Paulo now for two years and dont regret it for one minute, even if it is sometimes a bit wlld and stressful there are so many things that put those under the table.

Have never done Africa but it sounds incredible and will look good on your CV as well no doubt as it shows a bit of get up and go in a person not to mention balls.

cheers guys
it was the kick up the **** i needed

am going to finish off my form tomorrow and email it

thank you :)

Maybe I'll ask the club for some silver shirts to take ;)

I have been offered an oppatunity to take part in the above this summer for 6 weeks with the charities CAFOD and Trocaire. It's teaching in both urban and rural areas (Tigray region) and staying within a compound run by the Sisters of Charity (in Mekelle town) who work out there running schools and health centres.

Just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar expereince and would like to offer me more information or more of an insight as obviously it is quite a big deal (and not all the family are convinced...). Got to make up my mind by Monday so pressure is on a little this weekend!!

Any nuggets of information and advice would be gratefully recieved! :)

Why not see if the club have any old shirts from previous seasons you could hand out to the locals?

(Edit: I didn't read your previous post!)

There is a small hardcore element of Leyton Orient fans in Mombasa, Kenya, as I have been out there a number of times for teaching/pastoral work with a charity I help run. I can't believe you were even debating it. I would offer a bunch of advice, but it seems that Dept36 is the man in the know!

J_S

Why not see if the club have any old shirts from previous seasons you could hand out to the locals?

(Edit: I didn't read your previous post!)

The one problem maybe how much luggage I'm allowed to take out, if they are not too concerned then I'll try to take a ****load of stuff out but I guess I'll have to wait until nearer the time!

The one problem maybe how much luggage I'm allowed to take out, if they are not too concerned then I'll try to take a ****load of stuff out but I guess I'll have to wait until nearer the time!

Nah, wouldn't worry about that. Clothes are mega-cheap out there. Cram as much stuff you want to give away, and then buy anything you need as you go (assuming you're going to be working in a town/city rather than the back end of beyond).

Well I had to go for interview, but from 4 other candidates they picked me :D

Very excited as it is now gonna happen! 6 weeks in Northen Ethiopia this summer teaching in a school there. Little bit scared too....

THanks for all the support and encouragement guys, much apprecaited!

Excellent news! It'll be the best, most exciting, most humbling experience of your life. Congratulations on getting picked, and if you need any further advice or encouragement then don't hesitate to ask.

Back