• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It seems the goalie and back four pick themselves - and I know of no new injury worries there.

I suspect Barry will be back to partner Britt up front ............ leaving the midfield selection.

Hurst, Laird and Spillane plus one other. Leonard or Reeves ......... or coming up on the outside is ...... Straker. Surely not?

I will also be interested to see if a player called Eastwood makes it to the bench ................ :sad:

I think we are carrying a few niggles , so i would take no chances with them + play a few fringe players :

.....................................................SMITH.............................................
CLOHESSEY.................SPILLANE.....................CRESSWELL............PROSSER
HURST......................WOODYARD..................LAIRD................LEONARD.....
...............................................REEVES.................................................
.................................................CORR..................................................

subs. LAVERY,STRAKER,SPICER,BENTLEY,ASSOMBALONGA,HARRIS,BENYON

I think we are carrying a few niggles , so i would take no chances with them + play a few fringe players :

.....................................................SMITH.............................................
CLOHESSEY.................SPILLANE.....................CRESSWELL............PROSSER
HURST......................WOODYARD..................LAIRD................LEONARD.....
...............................................REEVES.................................................
.................................................CORR..................................................

Freddy now below Straker, Spicer and Benyon in the pecking order for seats on the bench? Has he really fallen that low?

Team for Accrington, Lancashire

..... as opposed to which other Accrington ?

Thought CP said that Fred came off last night and straight to the dressing room with an ice pack. Hard to say but Fred is miles off this squad at the moment and rightly so, I would have Britt, corr, gav (when fit), lavery and even Benyon and Harris ahead of him.

From Accrington Site. Pretty good read:

Accrington Stanley

V

Southend Utd

2012/13 Prediction League – Game 31; v Southend (home)

Mohsni’s back! …………….. Well, no, actually, he’s not …………..

I’ve mentioned Bilel Mohsni before; mad as a box of frogs (no joke intended) - he’s the guy who leaves the pitch, leaves the ground without waiting for the team bus and goes home on the train. He made it pretty clear in the summer that he wasn’t hanging around any longer at Roots Hall, and he went on trial at West Ham (for whom he didn’t sign); then he went on trial at Ipswich, but when they asked him to stay for another week’s trial he refused, returning to France; then they kissed (Gallic-style!) and made up, and he signed on loan for 3 months, which has recently ended ….Well, I don’t know how or why, but he isn’t at Portman Road any more – he’s back at Southend; or, more accurately, he isn’t, ‘cos he won’t go back; registered with them, but not playing for them ….
cool.gif
Ooops!

They also released ex Palace, Derby and Millwall MF David Martin (27) “by mutual consent” (if it’s “by consent” it must be mutual, surely?
smile.gif
), and he’s signed on the dotted line at Luton; 24 year-old winger Ryan Hall (who hit 14 goals last season) got very tied up in speculation about joining Peterborough or Blackpool, and then signed on loan for Leeds, much to Paul Sturrock’s displeasure, and has now signed a permanent contract for Neil Warnock (for whom he played at Palace previously); and MF Scott Donnelly (25), who left Aldershot for Swansea in 2010 (where he played just one league game, then had two loan spells at Wycombe, then re-signed for Aldershot) came in on a short (actually, a very short) loan, knowing that Aldershot weren’t going to extend his contract, but didn’t get taken on at Southend either and is now at Newport (you need a flow-chart for that one!
confused.gif
). Defensive MF Tamika Mkandawire (29) came in on loan from Millwall, having been at WBA, Hereford and Leyton Orient (who’ve just loaned Michael Symes
biggrin.gif
to Burton, you’ll have seen – his girlfriend must have moved back up North again!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
); recent loan signings are Ben Reeves (21), a MF from Southampton, and Canadian-born Northern Irish u21 striker Caolan Lavery (20) – ex Ipswich – who joined from the Owls.

Bought and paid for are Mickey Spillane (23), yet another MF, this time a Republic of Ireland u21 international, who counts Norwich, Luton and Brentford among his previous employers and who signed from the Daggers, for whom he had 4 in 24 this season, and finally Marc Laird (26), who is a ……..care to guess? ……yes, a MF out of Man City Youth via Millwall and Leyton Orient.

It’s a little-known fact, but nonetheless true, that Southend Utd are one of very few sides who have a 100% success rate against Man U in meetings between them …………..
biggrin.gif
Well alright, meeting ……. On 7th November 2006 (a date engraved on many hearts in that part of Essex) they unceremoniously dumped Sir Alex’s Lads – Ronaldo et al - out of the FA Cup (1-0) in the Fourth Round, the goal coming from a “curled free kick” by Freddie Eastwood ………. The other thing that you might not have known about them is that their former managers include the great Bobby Moore (from 1984 to 86), Arthur Rowley (aka “The Gunner”, a reference to his shooting power) whose career lasted 619 games, during which he scored an astonishing 434 goals – including 44 in 42 games for Leicester (1956/7) and 38 in 43 for Shrewsbury (58/59), and David Jack
biggrin.gif
(those under 50 might need to look him up) who played between 1919 and 1934 for Plymouth, Bolton and Arsenal, was the first man to score at the old Wembley Stadium (I’m talking about goals, by the way! ), was the first player in the world to attract a transfer fee of £10,000 , and managed them between 1934 and 1940, before managing Middlesbrough from 1944 to 1952; Legends all …………………

If you’re interested, on a different topic, Paul Sturrock’s son Blair (who he signed everywhere he managed, more or less) now plays for Bishop’s Stortford in the BSN …………… Just thought you might want to know ….

They’ve already played 11 ties in the various Cup competitions, including one in the Capon Cup (losing 4-0 at Peterborough) and 5 in the FA Cup, counting the two replays, involving a 3-0 win over Stockport, a 3-2 penalty shoot-out win over Bury in the home replay after two 1-1 draws, and a 2-all draw at home to Brentford, losing the return fixture 2-1 away …………. But it’s in the Tinpot that they’ve had their best run; the Wombles were seen off 2-1, the Daggers 2-0 and Brentford 2-1, all at home, and then they went to Oxford, drew 3-3 and took the shoot-out 5-3; that gave them Leyton Orient in the Southern Area Final, and they won Wednesday’s away leg 1-0, although at the cost of MF Michael Timlin’s broken leg, which will end his season.
eek.gif

Their home form in the League is 6 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats, with 18 scored and 12 conceded; away, it’s 7 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses, 25 scored and 17 conceded; overall, P29 W13 D7 L9 F43 A29 for 46 points and 5th place (by goal difference) over Rotherham and Exeter (+14 (third best in the League) against +5 and +3 respectively). They’ve only lost 3 of their last 14 in the League
frown.gif
; curiously the three defeats were in consecutive games, and in a two-week spell over New Year – 2-0 away at Burton, 1-0 at home to Gillingham and 3-0 at Exeter
rolleyes.gif
; noting that they didn’t score in any of those games, they then turned it round, winning their 3 most recent fixtures (all by 1-0) at Chesterfield, away at Oxford and away, as above, at L.O.in the Tinpot; they’ve kept 9 clean sheets in League games - it was actually eight games ago that they played a League game where both sides scored ……….. (Hint, Lads; get the first goal and we’ve cracked it! )

Leading scorers for their 57 goals in total are striker Gavin Tomlin (29), who they got from the Daggers, and who also has Brentford, Yeovil and the Gills on his cv, with 15 ; on-loan, Zaire-born Watford striker Britt Assombalonga (19) has 12
wink.gif
; ex Millers (Bury, Macclesfield, Morecambe and Halifax) defender Ryan Cresswell (25) has 8, and so does Barry Corr (27), an Irish striker who previously played for Sturrock at Swindon, and has also been at Sheff Wed, Exeter and Bristol City ……….6 other players have between 1 and 4 goals each ……….They’ve hit 4 twice (Torquay and the Wombles, both away) and three no less than eight times!

You might be surprised at our head-to-head since they were relegated at the end of 2009/10 – 23rd, with 43 points in 46 games (above Stockport, and accompanied by Wycombe and Gillingham, both of whom had gone up the season before); actually, it’s P5 W2 D2 L1 F8 A6; a 3-1 home win and a 1-1 draw in 10/11; our only defeat came at home last season (2-1, our goal from Proccie), and the away game was drawn 2-2 (Jamie Devitt (currently at Grimsby) and Podge; our season-opener this season was at their place, and we won that 1-0, the goal from loan signing Karl Sheppard.

Deadline for entries is, as always, scheduled kick-off time, which is 3pm on Saturday 9th February. Time for our fortunes to change, methinks, and no better opponents to face than the team we beat to start off our season …… We’re not scoring many (! ), but they’ve scored 0, 0, 0, 1, 1 and 1 in their last 6 in all competitions, so they can’t say much ……………. I think we’d all settle for a repeat of the season-opener 1-0 win ………… wouldn’
we?

I dont think our league form is worth risking with what is a very weakened side.

Win tomorrow and Tuesday and we could be in the automatics.........................

PS states the recent good results are because of the settled back so I expect him to keep changes there to a minimum and is very guarded about the injuries. If one of the back four is out then Luke will be in.
Hirst is defo in, as is Spillane and Laird. I expect (the exciting) Reeves to be on left (although Straker might get a game) or strangely Spicer to get some game time before the JPT.
Up front BBBC and Britt; not an ideal combo but I think away they are better away than at home and, maybe, on a pudding pitch.
The other alternative is to load the midfield with all 5 I have mentioned and just Britt up front.

Got a bad feeling about tomorrow. Whenever its trotted out that a team has only won once in their last 14 games (as Accrington have) you know a win for them is coming. The energy that Tomlin and Timlin give the team as well as their experience and leadership I fear will be a big loss. Wouldnt mind seeing Lavery given a go up top with Britt, and Reeves wide left. Spillane and Laird in the middle with Hurst on the right.

Smith
Clohessy Phillips Cresswell Barker
Leonard Laird Spillane Hurst
Reeves
Corr

subs Bentley, Prosser, Straker, Woodyard, Lavery, Assombolonga, Harris

Think Assombolonga will be rested for this one, will not want to overstretch him having just come back from injury. Possible change in the back four if injuries dictate as PS alluded to with Prosser & Straker in reserve. A tough slog of a game which we would win with our full team, but at 80%, I see a 1-1 draw, Corr to score in front of 1700 with 200 shrimpers making the trip.

Back