• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Team for tonight

haveaguiness

Coach
Just wondering what everyones team wuld be for tonight seeing as we have won our last 2 games, whether people would change it or keep it the same?
mine would be federichi in goal and put robson kanu in instead of walker and keep the rest the same. BUT walker will play, ill guarantee ya that one. Again as par my rant about federichi, what is the point of getting robson kanu back on loan for another month if he is going to sit on the bench, the boy has class and although he may going missing in parts of games and least he doesnt give the ball away every time he gets it like walker does.

Anyone else opinions?

On the subject of Walker, does anyone know how to find the OS article where Ron said he was a "star in the making", would be interesting to read it.

Agree with the team for tonight however Kanu should play tonight like you say.

I'm a fan of James Walker.

I think he adds a lot to the current team. We're a better balanced team with him in on the left. He's got a lot of faults, he can be a frustrating player and I'm not sure he's going to be quite the star that Ron Martin thinks he will be, but I think he makes us a better team as he adds qualities that we as a team lack without him.

imo opinion Walker is only in the team to please Ron having spent all that money on him... I can't see why else?! HRK needs to start, Walker is a striker and not a very good one at that...

Frustrating sums him up!!!

Sorry but that is nonsense, if that is the case why isn't Richie Foran in the team?

Dont think it will be this, but its what I'd go for...

GK. Federici
RB. Francis
CB. Clarke
CB. Barrett
LB. Harding
RW. Betsy
CM. Christophe
CM. Sawyer
LM. Kanu
CF. Barnard
CF. Freedman

SUBS: Joyce, Sankofa, Macca, Revell, Walker

First 11 kind of picks itself at the moment and the only question mark in terms of will he/wont he is Walker IMO.

I'm a fan of James Walker.

I think he adds a lot to the current team. We're a better balanced team with him in on the left. He's got a lot of faults, he can be a frustrating player and I'm not sure he's going to be quite the star that Ron Martin thinks he will be, but I think he makes us a better team as he adds qualities that we as a team lack without him.

I dont think we are better balanced at all. He is a striker playing on the wing, therefore playing out of position. HRK was signed initially as a winger, but we played him up front, so he adds a far better balance to the team than walker because he can actually play out wide, he also looks to go around the outside of people to put a cross in, walker wants to beat everyone before he does anything with the ball.

I am too a fan of James Walker, I think in time he'll prove a good player for us. He's still young so learning the game, I don't think he played much first-team football before joining us? I have spoken to many people who think he's rubbish but when I ask them what do you expect of him, they seem to go silent and can't muster up too much of an argument other than "he's sh!t"

Every player has his faults and I'd rather him be here than not be here at all.

As for tonight I agree with pboreham

Sorry but that is nonsense, if that is the case why isn't Richie Foran in the team?

Foran is a different Kettle of fish as hes caused trouble in the ranks... Walker was Ron's signing and he made such a fuss he seems to be given endless chances! I can hardly remember him ever having a good game yet Tilly seems to have created a place for him on the left wing?!

Poor touch, runs with his head down and finishes about as well as Matt Harrold. Just can't understand his constant inclusion... hes a long way from ever being a star!!!

like that team pboreham...

Foran is a different Kettle of fish as hes caused trouble in the ranks... Walker was Ron's signing and he made such a fuss he seems to be given endless chances! I can hardly remember him ever having a good game yet Tilly seems to have created a place for him on the left wing?!

Poor touch, runs with his head down and finishes about as well as Matt Harrold. Just can't understand his constant inclusion... hes a long way from ever being a star!!!

like that team pboreham...

All players are Ron's signings as he provides the cash. I doubt very much that RM has anything to do with team selection.

gk federici
rb hunt
cb barrett
cb clarke
lb harding
rw scannell
mf christophe
mf sawyer
lw kanu
cf freedman
cf frog2

subs..joyce, sankofa, revell, barnard, grant

I think Walker is a decent striker - especially for this level. I thought he had a cracking game in the home leg v Doncaster. Always showed for the ball, nice feet and was very direct.

The blame (for this one) lies with Tilly for sticking him out wide. I'm not Tilly bashing, just saying - Walker is a front man who could do a job at this level over the course of a season and is being forced to play wide where he is clearly not comfortable.

I'd still put him 4th in our current crop of forwards though, which is maybe why he gets shoe-horned in the side.

I dont think we are better balanced at all. He is a striker playing on the wing, therefore playing out of position. HRK was signed initially as a winger, but we played him up front, so he adds a far better balance to the team than walker because he can actually play out wide, he also looks to go around the outside of people to put a cross in, walker wants to beat everyone before he does anything with the ball.

I can see we'll have to agree to disagree.

First, I don't care what postion HRK was allegedly signed to play, he is primarily a forward not a winger.

Second, you make no mention of defence - our main concern. Does HRK's lack of tracking back/closing down not concern you?

Third, HRK seems to offer similar attributes to what Betsy offers on the right-wing. Surely better balance isn't getting a similar style player on both wings? Walker offers strength, he holds the ball up, he offers a bit of unpredictability that keeps defences honest. I actually think its useful to have someone who tries to come inside, particularly when our centre forwards aren't the biggest. I think we are going to score more goals working the ball inside than outside. I can see however this is going to be a losing argument against most of SZ who can only envisage someone playing outwide hugging a touchline.

Dont think it will be this, but its what I'd go for...

GK. Federici
RB. Francis
CB. Clarke
CB. Barrett
LB. Harding
RW. Betsy
CM. Christophe
CM. Sawyer
LM. Kanu
CF. Barnard
CF. Freedman

SUBS: Joyce, Sankofa, Macca, Revell, Walker

First 11 kind of picks itself at the moment and the only question mark in terms of will he/wont he is Walker IMO.

Thats the team Id go with too, think Kanu is a better option than Walker, although not actually bowled over having him wide either.

Second, you make no mention of defence - our main concern. Does HRK's lack of tracking back/closing down not concern you?

I agree, HRK doesnt play like a midfielder when we dont have the ball, however Walker doesnt really either.

Having either of them really doesnt add much in the way of solidity midfield wise.

Last edited:
I can see we'll have to agree to disagree.

First, I don't care what postion HRK was allegedly signed to play, he is primarily a forward not a winger.

Third, HRK seems to offer similar attributes to what Betsy offers on the right-wing. Surely better balance isn't getting a similar style player on both wings? Walker offers strength, he holds the ball up, he offers a bit of unpredictability that keeps defences honest. I actually think its useful to have someone who tries to come inside, particularly when our centre forwards aren't the biggest. I think we are going to score more goals working the ball inside than outside. I can see however this is going to be a losing argument against most of SZ who can only envisage someone playing outwide hugging a touchline.

Agreeing to disagree is what this forum is all about.

I agree with a couple of your points, but HRK is probably just as, if not stronger than walker, and alot of that is with his positioning and control not letting the defender have a chance of getting the ball. But the bit about holding the ball up, i honestly feel you have completely wrong. Walker gives it away far too often. HRK hardly ever misplaces a pass and is great under pressure.
I do feel walker can do a job for us, i just feel that the job is down the middle and at the moment that would be coming off the bench. Last 25-30 minutes just to run with the ball and confuse and stetch the defense, even if we are 1-0 up, so the other team has to defend rather thanbe able to attack.
He is, at the moment, not going to score 10-15 goals a season, 5 if we are lucky i recon, but i always feel putting him on the wing to accomidate him in the team is wrong, especially when we have players that are more adapt at hanging on to the ball.
And as for the tracking back bit, yes it is a little concerning but walker doesnt exactly bust a gut to track back either, he is a striker why would he want to track back.

gk federici
rb hunt
cb barrett
cb clarke
lb harding
rw scannell
mf christophe
mf sawyer
lw kanu
cf freedman
cf frog2

subs..joyce, sankofa, revell, barnard, grant

Spot the deliberate mistake! I think Wycombe may have something to say about your choice of right back!

I am too a fan of James Walker, I think in time he'll prove a good player for us. He's still young so learning the game, I don't think he played much first-team football before joining us? I have spoken to many people who think he's rubbish but when I ask them what do you expect of him, they seem to go silent and can't muster up too much of an argument other than "he's sh!t"

Every player has his faults and I'd rather him be here than not be here at all.

As for tonight I agree with pboreham

To be honest I'm not one to slag off players, but.....

Walker is poor. A good barometer for a striker is - if he's on a one-on-one would you expect him to score. The answer with Walker is unfortunately not. Its a good test:

Walker: No
Kanu: Yes
Eastwood: Yes
Barnard: Yes
Freedman: Yes
Harrold: No
Paynter: No
etc.

The only mitigating circumstance for this, is the case of the Andy Cole (or Wayne Gray to apply it to Southend). He'll miss loads, but create a lot of chances to, whether that be through pace or skill. Those ones are harder to judge. Personally I rated Wayne Gray, but you wouldn't back him to score....

Back