• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who do you pick? (Select a midfield and an upfront option)

• Total voters
Bentley
White Barrett Bolger Coker
Deegan
Timlin Leonard
Mclaughlin Corr Worrall

Gotta have McLaughlin in there on such a large pitch. Sorry to Atkinson who would miss out on this basis:

Bentley

White ; Bolger ; Barrett ; Coker

Worrall ; Leonard ; Timlin ; McLaughlin

Corr ; Piggott

As a quick note, who would have thought after the Luton game that Bolger/Barrett would have been our automatic CB partnership!

Same starting line up as Thursday.

As+someone+who+constantly+forgets+names+this+advice+is+golden+_88e2e8d027f89bf749bb700735d4de37.jpeg

Id go with the Thursday team too, but McLaughlin is very tempting.

I think we need to suss Wycombe out first and see how things are going. Atkinson's work rate in there will let us do that. Bringing Stevie Mac on against tiring legs is a better option than starting him imo. Same with Payne for what its worth.

I think we need to suss Wycombe out first and see how things are going. Atkinson's work rate in there will let us do that. Bringing Stevie Mac on against tiring legs is a better option than starting him imo. Same with Payne for what its worth.
Agreed. The midfield 4 from Thursday will never get out worked and has some decent quality going forwards too. Atkinson deserves to start and should start, with McLaughlin off the bench if needed.

I actually wouldnt mind a five in midfield, I sometimes worry about southend on bigger pitches sometimes being stretched a bit to easily and plus the fact that our midfielders always look more likely to score goals.

------------Bentley----------
White--Bolger--Barrett--Coker
--Leonard--Deegan--Timlin--
McLaughlin------------Worral
------------BBBC--------------

Gotta have McLaughlin in there on such a large pitch. Sorry to Atkinson who would miss out on this basis:

Bentley

White ; Bolger ; Barrett ; Coker

Worrall ; Leonard ; Timlin ; McLaughlin

Corr ; Piggott

As a quick note, who would have thought after the Luton game that Bolger/Barrett would have been our automatic CB partnership!

Yoda and the young Jedi

negative line up that

Not exactly.

You have Deegan to sit infront of the back 4, Timlin and Leonard tight in the Centre and push forward when required and then pace out wide to feed the big man. I guess we can all look at formations differently, but thats my view.

Bentley
White-Bolger-Barrett-Coker
Worrall-Leonard-Timlin-Atkinson
Payne
Corr​

I don't get the assumption that these formations are negative?

They arent, any tactic can be attacking or defensive, its the players you play that determine it.

Arsenal play it and are in no way defensive, if we were to play it with Worrall and McLaughlin, ie two attacking players, its not a defensive tactic. Whether its effective or not is another matter.

This thread for me has really highlighted the viable options we have at the club, there have been quite a few options championed by people and I have seen sense in quite a few. I obviously have my preferred option but any of the following I would be happy with:

Two genuine wingers/ 4-3-3/4-5-1-

With Worrall and McLaughlin attacking down the flanks, making full use of the width. Weston as an option when one tires.

4-4-2-

Tried and tested, two big men up front sharing the load and playing off each other.

Payne in the hole with Deegan protecting the back four-

Hasn’t really worked for me but on the big pitch who knows and the surface suits any dribbler of the ball.

My preference is the top option with Atkinson Leonard and Timlin completing the midfield. I think all options are viable though and give us a strong team. This must make it hard for Wycombe to plan against and Brown has assembled a squad where he has options allowing him to exploit any perceived weaknesses. Not knowing Wycombe inside out I’m happy to put trust in the coaching team, who I am sure have done their due diligence.

Back