• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reading the thread about Luke Prosser (injured again, poor chap) reminded me that not all our ex-players are people that you would ideally like to be sharing a seat with on a train.

So how about a team of "nice" people.

I've got Luke Prosser and Chris Powell in defence and David Crown up front as starters.

Mervyn Cawston or Paul Sansome in goal. Both decent blokes.

Pat Scully and Peter Butler (if you were in the bar).

Of the current bunch, Ryan Leonard and Jermaine McGlashan.

Met all the players before one of the LDV finals. Barrett, Spinner, Che Wilson and Mark Bentley were all really nice guys. Che Wilson even went round and got everyone else's autograph for me!

I used to know Danny Greaves quite well, he was a friend of my 'late' step dad. He was a very likeable bloke and, a good laugh although he only played a handful of times he's still a shrimper...

Also, knew Peter Taylor when he was in the England set up - another decent bloke.

And, thanks to Andy (Suffolk Shrimper) I met Ronnie Pountney - lovely bloke, as are Derek Spence and Keith Mercer - proper gents and charming with it :-)

Last edited:
Reading the thread about Luke Prosser (injured again, poor chap) reminded me that not all our ex-players are people that you would ideally like to be sharing a seat with on a train.

So how about a team of "nice" people.

I've got Luke Prosser and Chris Powell in defence and David Crown up front as starters.

He approached us at the Rayleigh Club last month as he'd left one of his clubs in the rough somewhere. We had seen an old guy earlier he said he'd found a club so we informed Crownie of this. Anyway....he didn't find it so came back to us later and suggested we were lying. Acted like a 100% complete bell-end.

Was gutted as I remember I had a photo of him on my pencil case when I was 9. He shouldn't be in this team :-)

Players I've liked chatting to;

Duncan Jupp
Che Wilson
Damon Searle
Richard Cadette
Graeme Jones
Mark Warren
Martyn Booty
Bart Griemink
Leon Cort
Brett Angell

ps I did like Jamie Stuart but appreciate he's not everyone's idea of nice.

Garry Nelson gave us a lift home once, so he's in there.

I'd imagine Tilly doesn't have too many enemies and having recently met Derek Spence and Keith Mercer, I'd like to include them, as well.

Michael Timlin always is happy to have a chat with fans, as was Bilel.
The striker Gary Jones was always nice but very shy.
Blair was a pleasant chap also.

He approached us at the Rayleigh Club last month as he'd left one of his clubs in the rough somewhere. We had seen an old guy earlier he said he'd found a club so we informed Crownie of this. Anyway....he didn't find it so came back to us later and suggested we were lying. Acted like a 100% complete bell-end.

Was gutted as I remember I had a photo of him on my pencil case when I was 9. He shouldn't be in this team :-)

I met him a few years ago.Seemed pleasant enough to me.

The King,
A.Moody
Tony Bentley & T Roberts(rip),both whom i had a long chat with when a 11 year old

You must have caught him on a bad day, Crownie is normally a diamond geezer.
Had a lot of time for Peter Butler and Pat Sculley, always enjoyed a beer with the fans.
As someone has already mentioned Danny O Shea is a good bloke, always found his sidekick Shane Westley a good laugh too.
Going back a while , Malcolm Slater was also nice fella.

Last edited:
Back in the 1970s I worked with teachers who had taught with Trevor Roberts at Timberlog School, Basildon and who had fond memories of him when he taught Geography there.

Neil Harris. Top man. Took the trouble to meet up with me after I wanted to chat with someone who had gone through the same type of cancer that I unfortunately got in 2011. For that he will always be a great guy to me, regardless of who he now manages!

Most of them have been nice, some very nice, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer person than Bilel Mohsni off the pitch, for instance. Adam Barrett is another very obvious one. Woody always greets me with a big hug so that's very nice!

Back