• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sure is. My old man was lucky enough to bump into the entire squad at the airport this morning. Chatted to quite a few of them and said Barney said how pleased he was to be back. Apparently Boots and Laces has been flooded for a while and has made any decent standard of training pretty much impossible, so they'll be taking the short break to recharge the batteries and have a few decent training sessions.

Has Ron finally found the war chest stuffed to the brim with the Eastwood money or...?!

Don't be a fool, we spent the £1.5m on the sprinkler system, hence why we use it every game no matter the weather!

Wish i was going to Portugal too!.Bloody miserable weather again

Southend United aim to re-find form in sunshine as they head to Portugal for training

SOUTHEND United’s players have flown out to Portugal in a bid to revitalise their promotion challenge.

More...

Wish i was going to Portugal too!.Bloody miserable weather again
I was there last week for 4 days v nice, top day around 21C, but it's nice to be able to walk around without being bundled up against the elements! It will do the squad good, as long as they don't go on the beer too much.
Did they go from London (Southend) Airport?.................... I'm not sure whether this implies that Southend is part of London or is London a suburb of Southend
Answers on a postcard etc etc

I'm sure the break will do the squad the world of good - but I noticed that Benfica's match v Sporting Lisbon was cancelled yesterday as the stadium was damaged by high winds.......

Latest from the club twitter feed:

Brown: "We've managed to arrange a game with Aalborg for this afternoon. The Danish league is very technical, so it should be a real test."

Brown: "We had an excellent hour and a half session this morning in very good conditions. We're already getting the benefits."

Blues will also be playing a 60-minute training game against Danish Superliga side Aalborg BK during their time in Portugal.

BBenfica v Sporting cancelled???Now that really is a surprise-I bet Porto would be pleased at the end of the season that their 2 major rivals played one game less than them!

Just spoke to a local who is involved with teams that visit, they are at a place called Dunas Douradas which is Vale De Lobo, staying in apartments which sprawl, so it will be hard to keep a check on them although bars are a bit of a walk from there. it's next to the Ria Park where Spartak Moscow have been staying and was the hotel that Germany stayed in for Euro 2004. They've had alot of rain too, so the pitches are not great but better than back home.

Blues beat Aalborg BK of the Danish Superliga 1-0 in a 60-minute friendly today. Barry Corr's penalty was the difference between the sides.

What a waste of resources. Training and playing on West Ham's 'quality' pitch, didn't do much for us at Mansfield and training in Portugal may not be ideal preparation for the pudding of a pitch that Roots Hall is likely to be on Saturday. Far better to have used Braintree's waterlogged facilities..........less distance to travel and may prepare us better for the game against Exeter. :winking:

Haha. Is it wise for Prosser not to be wearing shinpads considering his recent knocks. Does look very much just like a kickabout up the park, only wearing training gear.

Has a Madrid pre-season trip been confirmed? :unsure: As I recall that has previously been largely financed by Insure and Go's parent company, so minimal cost to the club. Certainly wages are up to date though.

Maybe some of the FA Cup money was put aside with this in mind?

After this I would put my money on tour this pre season being in Portugal

Its been raining nearly every day out there.Lovely pitches out there better than most England league sides.

Back