• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mfurok

Manager⭐
First of all it's not Sturrock's fault that his squad is crap given everything that happened during the summer but, having seen almost every game this season, my observations - purely on the football side - are:
  • We should stick to 4:4:2 for the rest of the season so that our players know what they're supposed to do and don't wander around the pitch clueless of their role. We seem to change our formation almost every week - the worst was Crewe when we were superb playing 4:4:2 at Chesterfield in the previous match.
  • Prosser, Soares and Gilbert should never play for SUFC again.
  • Herd, Spencer and Crawford should be given a run in the team. Spencer and Crawford could not possibly do any worse than the succession of abject loanees we have taken on.....and probably the same to a lesser extent applies to Paterson.
  • People should lay off Blair - he is our best forward - he and one of Spencer/Crawford/Corr/Paterson would be the best option.
  • Spencer had a good game wide on the right against Barking and should be tried there - at least he knows where the goal is.
  • Hall sould be given a run in the team.
  • Herd has never let us down unlike Gilbert (Chesterfield, Macclesfield and Stevenage to name but 3) and Prosser (Port Vale, Crewe and Burton to name but 3). He should be given a run in the team.
  • We need pace up front and on the flanks, a bit of flair and passing ability in midfield and someone who can score the odd goal otherwise we will almost certainly be in the Conference next season (assuming - a big assumption - that we don't go bust beforehand). Sadly there seems to be little chance to freshen up the squad due to the financial situation.
  • This team is about the worst I can remember over 50 years - Peter Morris you know who you are.
For the older Zoners just think of the quality we had in the late 60s when we were not promoted from this division but had players as good as Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Woodley, Firmani, McKinven, MacMillan, Hamilton, Best, Smillie, Chisnall etc etc etc.

The current lot aren't a patch on the above which is why it will be a monumental struggle to stay up.

Still - never mind - the Trust will have a place on the Board in 2011.

We're all doomed.

Someone please tell me why I am wrong.

mfurok; said:
[*]This team is abners just think of the quality we had in the late 60s when we were not promoted from this division but had players as good as Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Woodley, Firmani, McKinven, MacMillan, Hamilton, Best, Smillie, Chisnall etc etc etc.

The current lot aren't a patch on the above which is why it will be a monumental struggle to stay up.

We're all doomed.

You missed Eddie May and Mike Beesley out of that squad!. Does anyone think that the Trust having a place on Rons board will make any difference?. As much as i like to take a positive attitude and believe that a couple of good signings ( like Devitte and Robinson) will propel us up the league, i just cannot see that happening and fear for the future. Happy Christmas!.

Well said mfurok. Herd is no worse than Gilbert.
Unfortunately for Johnny when he gave him a start
a couple of months ago he had a bad one. But he needs
to get his confidence back and needs games. I can't see that we would
be any worse off. As for the six or so strikers- I suspect
we are forced to play German. Perhaps if he plays
then QPR pay his wages. In the two games where
he was replaced by Blair and Barry we looked a tad better
after he came off.
Hopefully we will have our first home game I'm a while nxt wkend
however it seems there is snow on the horizon later in the
week.
Oh to have another ricky otto flying down the wing.
Up the blues
Up the blues

Most sensible post on sz for a long while.

Doesn't change the fact we are in the **** for all sorts of reasons, but sensible and realistic points made.

First of all it's not Sturrock's fault that his squad is crap given everything that happened during the summer but, having seen almost every game this season, my observations - purely on the football side - are:
  • We should stick to 4:4:2 for the rest of the season so that our players know what they're supposed to do and don't wander around the pitch clueless of their role. We seem to change our formation almost every week - the worst was Crewe when we were superb playing 4:4:2 at Chesterfield in the previous match.
  • Herd, Spencer and Crawford should be given a run in the team. Spencer and Crawford could not possibly do any worse than the succession of abject loanees we have taken on.....and probably the same to a lesser extent applies to Paterson.
  • People should lay off Blair - he is our best forward - he and one of Spencer/Crawford/Corr/Paterson would be the best option.
  • Spencer had a good game wide on the right against Barking and should be tried there - at least he knows where the goal is.
  • Herd has never let us down unlike Gilbert (Chesterfield, Macclesfield and Stevenage to name but 3) and Prosser (Port Vale, Crewe and Burton to name but 3). He should be given a run in the team.
  • We need pace up front and on the flanks, a bit of flair and passing ability in midfield and someone who can score the odd goal otherwise we will almost certainly be in the Conference next season (assuming - a big assumption - that we don't go bust beforehand). Sadly there seems to be little chance to freshen up the squad due to the financial situation.
  • This team is about the worst I can remember over 50 years - Peter Morris you know who you are.
For the older Zoners just think of the quality we had in the late 60s when we were not promoted from this division but had players as good as Roberts, Bentley, Birks, Woodley, Firmani, McKinven, MacMillan, Hamilton, Best, Smillie, Chisnall etc etc etc.

We're all doomed.

Bit silly to compare managers records over such a long time but here they are:-

18 league games into the 1983/4 season Peter Morris record:- Won 5, Drawn 6, Lost 7, For 26, Against 28, Points 21.
18 league games into the 2010/11 season Paul Sturrock record:- Won 5, Drawn 5, Lost 8, For 19, Against 23, Points 20.

When you think Peter Morris team was Div 3 and included a 6-1 away win and a 6-0 home win, at the moment I think yesterdays line up was worse than the 1983/4 team.

We're all doomed.

Good post. My only issue is Herd, whose lack of positional sense makes him a liability and, as much as I'd like him to be, he isn't the answer. Sturrock isn't the only manager not to rate him, after all. Left-back is a big problem and needs addressing next month. Gilbert is poor and though Barker has bags of experience there, at the moment he is needed at centre-half. He and Mohsni were beginning to look like a decent partnership until he got injured.

18 league games into the 1983/4 season Peter Morris record:- Won 5, Drawn 6, Lost 7, For 26, Against 28, Points 21.
18 league games into the 2010/11 season Paul Sturrock record:- Won 5, Drawn 5, Lost 8, For 19, Against 23, Points 20.

When you think Peter Morris team was Div 3 and included a 6-1 away win and a 6-0 home win, at the moment I think yesterdays line up was worse than the 1983/4 team.

Be prepared to be called a clueless idiot for posting sense.

I agree with the majority of this, but who built the squad? It was Sturrock, albeit under pretty exceptional circumstances. I can't agree that the manager is blameless.

We had Anton Johnson at the helm in 83/84 (allegedly a business aquaintance of RM) and were in a deep financial mess at the time,

Morris had replaced the popular Dave Webb (previous season we were 15th in the third teir) and was sacked to be replaced by Bobby Moore and we got relegated(we only won 10 games that season) The next season we finished 20th in the Bottom Division avoiding re-Election with a win in the last game.

Seems like a pretty good comparison to me.

Square pegs in round holes all season. Different formations all season. Different line ups every game. Yes, the players do have to field some of the blame, but for me it is all down to the ineptitude of Sturrock and Widdrington. 20 games into a season regardless, you should know all about your team and your players.

For me the icing on the cake was playing Woodyard in midfield when we could simply have moved Simpson inside and Hall on the wing. I have blagged on all season about not playing Herd, Spencer, Paterson, Crawford etc... but no, everyone was happy with Sturrock brining in these loans 'in Sturrock we trust' - well now it's just bit us on the bum and it is taking huge chunks!

I'm not saying these players are the answer, but I believe and have done all season that they would bring so much more than the utter tosh we are currently watching. It is obvious that Herd is not fancied, but hey could he have been any worse than any other left back this season? I think not and our results say it all. No Spencer, no Paterson, would they have contributed more than Jarvis, Fairhurst, German and Midson - bloody right they would - and they're not getting played because 'we want their wages to buy in other players' - good grief! And as for young Crawford, he was brought on instead of Midson - that really says it all.

Completely gutted.

• We should stick to 4:4:2 for the rest of the season so that our players know what they're supposed to do and don't wander around the pitch clueless of their role. We seem to change our formation almost every week - the worst was Crewe when we were superb playing 4:4:2 at Chesterfield in the previous match. Agreed.
  • Prosser, Soares and Gilbert should never play for SUFC again. Hmmm... don't get me wrong, they are not very good, but we have to get better in first. But i take the point.
  • Herd, Spencer and Crawford should be given a run in the team. Spencer and Crawford could not possibly do any worse than the succession of abject loanees we have taken on.....and probably the same to a lesser extent applies to Paterson. Whilst they can't do any worse they also probably can't do any better either. Crawford's confidence could be destroyed by playing in this side at the moment.
  • People should lay off Blair - he is our best forward - he and one of Spencer/Crawford/Corr/Paterson would be the best option. Agreed (although I prefer Corr) - but injuries are the issue here. Corr/Sturrock are the best we have... when fit.
  • Spencer had a good game wide on the right against Barking and should be tried there - at least he knows where the goal is. Don't agree with that one and Barking are different to Wycombe.
  • Hall sould be given a run in the team. Totally agree. Again, fitness and injuries seem to be the main issue and he does seem better coming off the bench. However, we played best this season in the first half v Torquay when we had Hall and Soares as our wide men, with Simpson, Grant and Easton in the middle in a 4-5-1. Should we start that way?
  • Herd has never let us down unlike Gilbert (Chesterfield, Macclesfield and Stevenage to name but 3) and Prosser (Port Vale, Crewe and Burton to name but 3). He should be given a run in the team. In fairness Prosser has aklso had 3 or 4 games where he looks the business. Herd hasn't ever had a total 'mare of the like that Prosser and Gilbert have but he is a defensive liability generally due to his poor positioning and the fact that he can't stop the crosses. Plus he must give an absolute shot in the arm to any opposing winger who comes up against him simply because he is so slight.
  • We need pace up front and on the flanks, a bit of flair and passing ability in midfield and someone who can score the odd goal otherwise we will almost certainly be in the Conference next season (assuming - a big assumption - that we don't go bust beforehand). Sadly there seems to be little chance to freshen up the squad due to the financial situation. I'm pretty confident we won't go bust and that we'll get some new faces in January. Who it's at the expense of is another matter...

The current lot aren't a patch on the above which is why it will be a monumental struggle to stay up. When we can field our strongest side I honestly don't think we're that bad. Injuries and fitness issues have really hurt us this season and that is almost totally down to the lack of a proper pre season.

We're all doomed.

My comments added. I don't think you're wrong but I also don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks. November has been rubbish but after tomorrow we'll have had 4 away matches on the trot. We have first choice players coming back now. Out of the next 6 games, 4 are at home. A semi-decent run over those matches will see us mid table by January 8th and a really good set of results will see us up near the play offs again - the division is that tight.

My comments added. I don't think you're wrong but I also don't think it's as bad as everyone thinks. November has been rubbish but after tomorrow we'll have had 4 away matches on the trot. We have first choice players coming back now. Out of the next 6 games, 4 are at home. A semi-decent run over those matches will see us mid table by January 8th and a really good set of results will see us up near the play offs again - the division is that tight.

Thanks for the positivity - it makes me feel a bit better!

I think we are worse than even the most rose tinted think...look at our position in the league, we have had our strongest side out (whatever that is) on several occassions and we are still crap. How you still have any faith whatsoever in this bunch of useless toilet assembled by a similar manager is beyond me.You truly do live in cloud cuckoo land at times if you believe anything you have written above.

And a bad set, much more likely given our poor form, will see us in the relegation places.

I still maintain that our first 11 is good enough to win matches in this div against anyone

morris
clohessy barker moshni gilbert
simpson easton grant hall
corr blair

have proven they can do it,look at the torquay and rotherham games the big problem is sturrock has not been able to pick this team due to injuries and suspensions, outside of this the squad is weak no doubt. January will be crucial IF we can do any business

I still maintain that our first 11 is good enough to win matches in this div against anyone

morris
clohessy barker moshni gilbert
simpson easton grant hall
corr blair

have proven they can do it,look at the torquay and rotherham games the big problem is sturrock has not been able to pick this team due to injuries and suspensions, outside of this the squad is weak no doubt. January will be crucial IF we can do any business

Obviously not, as the league table states we are ONE point from relegation.

Obviously not, as the league table states we are ONE point from relegation.

And if we're to win our game in hand, FIVE points from a play-off finish.

We've barely been able to field our strongest side, particularly as of late with a string of untimely injuries and suspensions, but I agree that the loanees have hardly been inspiring. This is quite perplexing, as the loans we've picked up, aside from Midsom who the less said about the better, have came here with pretty decent reputations, Jarvis in particular. Perhaps the "hustle and bustle" of League Two football hasn't suited them, but I dare say that the vast majority of supporters were pleased with the initial thought of bringing in the likes of Jarvis and German on their reputations alone.

One thing I can't agree with is Herd's inclusion. I'd rate him and Gilbert about the same, Gilbert having the benefit of experience and ever-so-slightly better in a positional sense. Both have shown a habit of letting the winger get crosses in (which isn't so much of a problem when Moshni's on the field, compared to when he's absent) and both are dragged out of position far too easilty. Providing Phillips is actually alive and not a figment of the physio room's imagination, his inclusion will be far more beneficial to us at it would allow Barker back into the left-back fold, while keeping the centre fairly resolute.

With Grant and Moshni back in the side along with Barker and Corr's return to full fitness (touch, bash and carress wood), I'd hazard a guess at the team looking considerably better than the largely hashed-together side that we put together against Burton.

ESB, I will agree that with Grant and Moshni back the team will look considerably better, but even with these players playing the majority of the season we are still only one point above the relegation zone. For us to think that because they are back we will suddenly start winning every game I fear would be folly.

I truly believe that we have a squad of players that can keep us in this League - I do not believe that we have a manager or first team coach who will keep us in this League.

Confidence, motivation, morale, integrity, responsiblity all come from the manager and coach - I see none of it in our squad.

Back