• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great news!!! Really pleased with this hopefully our no.1 next season.

Superb news. Sure he will be the long term replacement for Bentley so good to time him up. Shame its not a little longer but still.

Really good news and another gold star for Ricky Duncan and his team. I think three years is about right contract wise.

I think this is really good news and some great planning from the club and PB. DB will be off in January or the summer so great to get Ted tied down. Hopefully he can get a few games in the JPT this year gain some more game time along with a few games with England

By so doing,he may well be passing up a much larger signing-on fee when a big club comes in for him in a year or two's time but this will ensure we will get a proper transfer fee thanks to his loyalty to our club and gratitude for all the expert coaching and guidance(esp. From Paul Smith! ) over his developing years. rather different from someone else I could mention!

By so doing,he may well be passing up a much larger signing-on fee when a big club comes in for him in a year or two's time but this will ensure we will get a proper transfer fee thanks to his loyalty to our club and gratitude for all the expert coaching and guidance(esp. From Paul Smith! ) over his developing years. rather different from someone else I could mention!

Thats not quite right , this contract means he would serve less than Bentley not more.

He is not going to be first choice until next season at earliest when he will have two seasons left on his contract.

If he were to leave at that point he would have given us less than Bentey who would have given us 3 full first team seasons.

Lets see how keen he is to sign a new contract when he has had a season or two and clubs start knocking at the door, not when he has played a handful of games.

I'm surprised a bigger club hasn't or even will come in for him.... Well done the club for signing him up on a 3 year contract and well done RD, he's a bit of an unsung hero at the club...

Great news, congratulations to Ted - I am quite sure he's going to be our best ever GK! :thumbsup:

Bentley had 12 appearances for us before he moved into being 1st choice. Ted is already older now than Bentley was when he became 1st choice.

It'd be good to find the opportunity to give Ted some minutes and get him used to playing big games before he steps up to replace Bentley in Jan/June.

Thats not quite right , this contract means he would serve less than Bentley not more.

He is not going to be first choice until next season at earliest when he will have two seasons left on his contract.

If he were to leave at that point he would have given us less than Bentey who would have given us 3 full first team seasons.

Lets see how keen he is to sign a new contract when he has had a season or two and clubs start knocking at the door, not when he has played a handful of games.

Heard at the last home game that Bentley was off in January. Done deal apparently.

Bentley is giving everything for this club and I'm sure almost everyone else on here wouldn't sign a new contract either. The guy has ambition, he wants to play at the top and he will. Not even the most die-hard optimistic fan will believe he can do that with Southend United. If he signed a new contract he'd be costing himself not only a signing-on-fee that could set him up but also cost himself options on his next career move. If I was his agent I'd be advising him to do exactly what he has done. As long as he gives 100% (and he most certainly is) I'll be getting right behind him. Showed class too when not throwing his toys out of the plan when we turned down QPR. When he leaves we should be saying thankyou for playing a huge part in getting us out of L2 and wishing him the very best of luck at a higher level. Bentley loves this club but a footballers career is short and the guy could potentially go to the very top, he's far too good for L1.

Bentley is giving everything for this club and I'm sure almost everyone else on here wouldn't sign a new contract either. The guy has ambition, he wants to play at the top and he will. Not even the most die-hard optimistic fan will believe he can do that with Southend United. If he signed a new contract he'd be costing himself not only a signing-on-fee that could set him up but also cost himself options on his next career move. If I was his agent I'd be advising him to do exactly what he has done. As long as he gives 100% (and he most certainly is) I'll be getting right behind him. Showed class too when not throwing his toys out of the plan when we turned down QPR. When he leaves we should be saying thankyou for playing a huge part in getting us out of L2 and wishing him the very best of luck at a higher level. Bentley loves this club but a footballers career is short and the guy could potentially go to the very top, he's far too good for L1.

Whoever signs him next summer will still have to pay a fee, so I don't believe it will make that much of a difference to his options or signing on fee, whether he's in or out of contract.

I don't agree he hasn't thrown his toys out the pram, as he came out in the local press saying he wanted to go to QPR and will never sign a new contract - why bother saying anything at all!!

Finally, he should be giving 100% after all we are still paying him; however is this going to be the case in the last couple of months of the season when he would know any injury could prevent him getting a contract anywhere

Anyway, back on topic, this is really good news and I do expect him to be our No1 next season, if not earlier

Very good news. Agree with others that PB should think about starting him in a few games so he gets used to playing regularly as I presume he'll be first choice keeper from point DB leaves.

Back