• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ted Smith

Does this website not constitute social media?

Absolutely, and it doesn’t just go for the footballers it’s the members too. There has been vile abuse directed towards members and moderators over the years. Luckily we have got rid of most of those unfortunately some of those cowardly keyboard warriors still hide behind their computer.

It’s all about being constructive though if you think a players had a mare there is nothing wrong with writing that. That’s your opinion but saying he’s a god awful excuse for a football or abuse towards his parents etc. Twitter is by far the worst Harry Kane (not a fan personally) but he gets some abuse on his feed.

Just be kind it’s not ****ing hard!

Article in the Telegraph today - Ted Smith retiring at 24 as he doesn’t like the game anymore.

Apologies if this should be in the Ex-Shrimpers bit of the Zone.

Blames the culture of Social Media and lack of help...
That is so sad

A very sad story indeed.

I found last night's Gary Lineker Top 10 podcast on BBC1 very interesting when Ian Wright spoke very passionately about abuse of players by fans during matches and the detrimental effect that it can have on players. All those guys that play professional football are human beings with human emotions and human psyches. However badly they play they don't deserve the vitriol directed at them by some fans in the stands and on social media.

I hate key board warriors who can **** up someones life, just because they feel the need to vent their frustrations about the days events, just so it makes them feel better, all from the safety of social media.,

Yes there is constructive criticism, but there is also just bloody nastiness where it does not need to be.

I hate key board warriors who can **** up someones life, just because they feel the need to vent their frustrations about the days events, just so it makes them feel better, all from the safety of social media.,

Yes there is constructive criticism, but there is also just bloody nastiness where it does not need to be.
The worst are the people that slag players off for letting the crowd affect their form by saying 'they get paid enough for it to not matter', as if money somehow makes you immune from mental health issues.

I feel very sorry for Ted. It must be very difficult for people of his generation to avoid looking at social media comments about them, but it's really not in their interests to do so. Judi Dench swears that she never looks at social media comments on her performances (just as well with all the comments re her appearance in CATS!) and that would be great advice for our young players to follow.........

I feel very sorry for Ted. It must be very difficult for people of his generation to avoid looking at social media comments about them, but it's really not in their interests to do so. Judi Dench swears that she never looks at social media comments on her performances (just as well with all the comments re her appearance in CATS!) and that would be great advice for our young players to follow.........
A bit off topic, but Judi Dench played a very good role in CATS (2019) as did the rest of the cast. It's just a few so called critics that slated the film and the sheep followed. Pound for pound it was as good as the stage show.

Brave and honest from Ted. That injury he suffered was potentially career ending and it would've tested any player‘s mental strength, confidence and self belief. Absolutely take my hat off to him for just saying it how it is. So many people forget these lads are human beings at the end of the day. They‘re no different to you and I, other than they perform their job with thousands watching and judging their every move every week.

If at least one person takes note and thinks twice before directing abuse or unnecessary criticism at someone online, he‘ll have made a difference. We could do worse than giving him some sort of part time role with the academy to help some of our youngsters who may be suffering the same anxiety.

Real shame, waste of his talent. He could still have done a job for us. Maybe if he gets some help from a sports psychologist he could change his mind?

even if social media and shrimperzone did not exist there would still be loudmouths in rhe crowd tellling him hes somthing rude and not very talented....

professional sport is an absolute pressure cooker - lots don't get anywhere as near as far as Ted ..... lots give up in their teens ... lots choose not to go training 3 times a week ... lots get fed up with everyone expecting so much of them. Some would rather go and have a beer and chase girls.

and some just don't want to be called a "uselss c u next tuesday" by some fat overweight drunk in the stands at a league one stadium.

the problem is no-one gives you money for doing nothing

It's a vicious cycle, I would not be on social media if I didn't need it for my work, and the footballers profiles are raised through social media and ultimately needed or encouraged by the clubs or the brands endorsing the players.
People only notice the negative comments, or they hear them the loudest.
Never understood the shout negative things and that will spur them on mentality, especially your own player/team from the sidelines and literally giving the opposition an advantage - psychologically, mentally, scientifically proven that putting someone down doesn't make them rise up.
Gutted for the lad.

Reading the interview it shows what an impact the reaction from the fans can have on a player. When that reaction, particularly on social media, can become so toxic that it makes a player who has represented his country at three different age groups question his ability and desire to actually play a game rather than just get enjoyment from training it has to ring alarm bells.
Yes, it'll spark questions about his mental ability/toughness to deal with it but this has been quoted by several players that the comments from the stands can be heard clearly on the pitch and what it does for their confidence.

How many other players do we have in our squad that feel similar?

How many do we have that haven't the courage to say, and do, what Ted has?

We often hear that the crowd can be a side's twelfth man, I also wonder how often it can be the equivalent to playing with ten men...

In cricket we often talked about 80% of the game being played in your mind, I'm pretty sure football is the same.

Reading the interview it shows what an impact the reaction from the fans can have on a player. When that reaction, particularly on social media, can become so toxic that it makes a player who has represented his country at three different age groups question his ability and desire to actually play a game rather than just get enjoyment from training it has to ring alarm bells.
Yes, it'll spark questions about his mental ability/toughness to deal with it but this has been quoted by several players that the comments from the stands can be heard clearly on the pitch and what it does for their confidence.

How many other players do we have in our squad that feel similar?

How many do we have that haven't the courage to say, and do, what Ted has?

We often hear that the crowd can be a side's twelfth man, I also wonder how often it can be the equivalent to playing with ten men...

In cricket we often talked about 80% of the game being played in your mind, I'm pretty sure football is the same.

Very sad. but i am sure some will come on here advising that Smith should 'grow a pair', totally misunderstanding a young man and his feelings.

Good luck for the future Ted ,it took a lot off guts to do what you have done at such a young age .

Back