• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
TW_PVR4b.gif

Well at last Telewest decide to take on the Sky+ revolution which of course many in the know will remember was pioneered in this country by Tivo. However unlike Sky, Tivo did not have the marketing clout to make a big enough impression.

The newly announced Personal Video Recorder from Telewest will be made by US company Scientific Atlanta and based on their Explorer© 8300 Series.

The only features currently confirmed for this unit are:

* A 160gig hard drive
* HDTV Compatible
* Multiroom Capable
* Three Tuners & Two Decoders

A 160gig hard drive: No more hunting around for video cassette tapes! Digital Video Recorders use a hard disk drive - like the one in your PC - to record programmes; in this case, up to 80 hours-worth!! This also means that the quality of the recording will be as good as the original broadcast and because the TW PVR will record the signal directly, rather than the encoding/decoding process used in products like the Tivo, the recorded programme will be just as good as if watched live. The added advantage is that it is much easier and faster to skip the ad breaks on commercial channels.

HDTV Compatible: High-Defenition Television is the "next big thing" in TV broadcasting. Basically, it's a higher-quality signal. More information here.

Multiroom Capable: Watch different recordings off your PVR on every TV in your home.

Three Tuners & Two Decoders: Having three tuners means you can record three different programmes at the same time, so programme clashes will be a thing of the past! You could also watch one show and record two others; or any other combination. Two decoders means that it can output from the hard disk to both TV and VCR at the same time, which would allow you to watch a program you recorded to hard disk at the same time as streaming another one off to video tape.

In Comparision the standard Sky+ box gives you just 20 hours of recording and can only record one channel whilst you watch another. The Sky+160 has 80 hours recording capability but that is the only difference except the price tag is £399 whilst the standard box is £199.

I hope Telewest are sensible with their pricing, as this is one box I have been waiting from them.

It looks like some LLoytron/Cathay/Hinari piece of crap.

The styling is awful

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 24 2005,13:40)]It looks like some LLoytron/Cathay/Hinari piece of crap.

The styling is awful
It could be shaped like a china tea pot for all i care, if its as good as it sounds, ill be first to upgrade from my Telewest Broadband package!

'cos there is so much sh*te on telly, you dont even need the 20 hours it offers you ...

smile.gif

If it doesn't come with three spinning wheels covered in various shapes of fruit, Kev simply isn't interested ...

WS

wink.gif

Thats the exact reason why i've got Sky+. The yellow spinning circle (when watching a taped program) in the middle is qualitay ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 24 2005,19:39)]'cos there is so much sh*te on telly, you dont even need the 20 hours it offers you ...

smile.gif
Yes but you do not have a wife or kids, do you think I would use the 80 hours myself. I am sure it will be well used by the rest of the household, but at least i know i will be able to record what i want and she will be able to as well if the needs must.

Then again chances of you ever having said appendages are pretty slim unless of course your fruit machine breaks down and the person to fix it is a woman.

cool.gif

Back