• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Our season could end Tuesday.

We're already out of the League Cup so won't be beating Man U in that again. We're not going to Wembley in the LDV so that only leaves the league and the FA Cup.

Whilst our league position is OK, the current team (including all the loanees) just isn't good enough to go up. I know we made the play-offs last season on the back of some good January signings, but we had a better team this time last year and even then we got outclassed once in the actual play-offs.

Defensively we are a bit of a shambles and this will only get worse without Christophe. To compete we'll need to sign a big centre-half. Our left-back is only on loan. We'll also need to sort out an unbalanced midfield. The wide-players don't track back enough and no-one once Sawyer has gone has any class on the ball. But to be able to afford to sign all these players we need we'll need to go on a cup run.

The £20,000 prize money for getting through to the next round will pay the wages of a loanee or two from January to the end of the season.

If we get through we have a home game (v Altrincham or Luton) which will not only bring further gate receipts, but should also be eminently winnable (and more prize money). That would put us in the third round. A plum draw in the 3rd round - just as the transfer window opens, maybe even some TV coverage, and we'd be in a far better position to try and sign the likes of Harding for the rest of the season and Sawyer permanently. Personally, I think our no.1 goal this season should be the 5th or 6th round, for about the only club record Tilly hasn't broken.

If we lose, our season is over. Win, and it could yet be another memorable season.

Very true, which is why I'm surprised by some of the "it's only the Cup" comments on here recently.

Not only all of the points above are very valid, but the knock on effect in the weeks to come of being beaten by a Conference North team could ruin our chances come the end of the season.

If we lose, our season is over. Win, and it could yet be another memorable season.

We have Two regular goal scorer's to come back yet, One of whom is in my view, Premiership class.

How can you tell who we will be buying and what loan players we will have in after january. We may be stronger by then. Tilly and Brush are well aware of what positions need sorting.

It's a game of Two halves. It's not over yet whatever happens Tuesday.

If we can get past Telford I think the players know we could go all the way.

I'm just hoping nerves don't play a part in the replay.

going on the january transfer window and the way we surged into the play offs from last season I would say that a cup run would be nice but not in any way is it the crux of our entire season, I think we only 2/3 signings (minus current loanees) from play off contention again

We have Two regular goal scorer's to come back yet, One of whom is in my view, Premiership class.

How can you tell who we will be buying and what loan players we will have in after january. We may be stronger by then. Tilly and Brush are well aware of what positions need sorting.

You are deluding yourself if you think the return of Freedman and Barnard will solve our defensive woes.

I have no idea what players we'll bring in, but I do know we'll be better placed financially to bring those players in if we are still in the cup.

The current team isn't good enough to get promoted and we are set to lose a handful of loanees who constitute our better players so far this season. The cup offers both our best chance of glory this year and our best chance of improving the squad.

I'm not sure I would be that dramatic. I don't believe there is that high a correlation between winning tomorrow night and where we'll finish in the league. The money, wouldn't hurt though...

Hang on a minute i thought Harrold had gone!!!!!!!!!

You are deluding yourself if you think the return of Freedman and Barnard will solve our defensive woes.

I have no idea what players we'll bring in, but I do know we'll be better placed financially to bring those players in if we are still in the cup.

The current team isn't good enough to get promoted and we are set to lose a handful of loanees who constitute our better players so far this season. The cup offers both our best chance of glory this year and our best chance of improving the squad.

I understand that Barney/Dougie won't cure our defensive woes but it'll be fantastic to have one of the very best strikeforces in L1 back in business.

No-one knows what could happen and to say our season is over if we lose tomorrow is certainly jumping the gun. Who can tell what the future may hold? After 9 or 10 games last season our season was apparently "over" according to so many on here and months later we were still in the hunt for automatic promotion. Yes the loanees will leave a hole but Tilly signed the likes of Freedman, Sawyer, Christophe, Harding, Feds and Kanu to turn it around before and I've no doubt they're already working behind the scenes to hopefully tie up a couple of permanent deals and good replacements for the rest. We've been without two of the divisions best strikers and lost Harding for 3 games aswell and we're still only 3pts from the play-offs. Whilst I fully agree the squad is not capable of finishing in the top 6 without additions I've no doubt we'll make some in January - Tilly very rarely lets us down when it comes to quality signings. And with regards Sawyer yes it's very disappointing he has to go back and I sincerely hope we see him return in January (although highly unlikely) - however I have a sneaky feeling that regular football will see Macca return to his best. With him and Jeff in central midfield (up until mid-December anyway, personally think we'll only be without him for 2 or 3 weeks as he seems the most likely to sign) not many sides are going to relish facing those two!!

We're already out of the League Cup so won't be beating Man U in that again. We're not going to Wembley in the LDV so that only leaves the league and the FA Cup.

Whilst our league position is OK, the current team (including all the loanees) just isn't good enough to go up. I know we made the play-offs last season on the back of some good January signings, but we had a better team this time last year and even then we got outclassed once in the actual play-offs.

Defensively we are a bit of a shambles and this will only get worse without Christophe. To compete we'll need to sign a big centre-half. Our left-back is only on loan. We'll also need to sort out an unbalanced midfield. The wide-players don't track back enough and no-one once Sawyer has gone has any class on the ball. But to be able to afford to sign all these players we need we'll need to go on a cup run.

The £20,000 prize money for getting through to the next round will pay the wages of a loanee or two from January to the end of the season.

If we get through we have a home game (v Altrincham or Luton) which will not only bring further gate receipts, but should also be eminently winnable (and more prize money). That would put us in the third round. A plum draw in the 3rd round - just as the transfer window opens, maybe even some TV coverage, and we'd be in a far better position to try and sign the likes of Harding for the rest of the season and Sawyer permanently. Personally, I think our no.1 goal this season should be the 5th or 6th round, for about the only club record Tilly hasn't broken.

Crickey, your in a positive mood today!!

what is everyones problem. We are in a decent league position, the makings of a good squad, barney and freedman near fit, laurent find of the season etc. Yes we may struggle in december losing some of our loanees, but at the recent shareholder meeting, Ron, Tilly and Brush seemed positive about getting a couple more in and also possible jan signings. to be honest i dont care about the cup. yes, i will be there tomrow and hope we win, but to say the season is over if we lose is crazy. Our season will start properly in january once we have the side in place for the remainder of the season. IF, we can keep decent pace with top over the next month or so, i think we will do ok. statistically we do better back 2nd half of the season. So please stop all this season over nonsense and try a to be positive!

Exactly the same number of points and games played as this time last year.

16 games, 26 points.

We had a woeful december and January last season with about 1 win in 8 or 9 games.

If we can avoid that, there is nothing stopiing us having a similar season to last year if Tilly can add 1 or 2 perm faces.

16 games, 26 points.

We had a woeful december and January last season with about 1 win in 8 or 9 games.

If we can avoid that, there is nothing stopiing us having a similar season to last year if Tilly can add 1 or 2 perm faces.

top post, i was just about to find that stat out, i'm not writing this season off yet, although i don't think we'll be going up unless Tilly pulls out a couple of inspired signings.

Im not trying to slag you off or saying your opinion is wrong and I agree the current players arnt good enough for promotion. I too think the defence isnt up to it but the point the previous poster was making that having Barnard and Dougie back makes a difference on the defence. They have more quality holding the ball up and playing/creating attacks which takes the pressure off at the back and makes us look alot more solid. You can have the best back 4 in the league but if they're under constant pressure they will still concede goals.

Im not trying to slag you off or saying your opinion is wrong and I agree the current players arnt good enough for promotion. I too think the defence isnt up to it but the point the previous poster was making that having Barnard and Dougie back makes a difference on the defence. They have more quality holding the ball up and playing/creating attacks which takes the pressure off at the back and makes us look alot more solid. You can have the best back 4 in the league but if they're under constant pressure they will still concede goals.

Don't disagree with any of that, but even with Barnie and Dougie back we'll still struggle defensively. To have them both playing you'll also have to drop Revell who is a better target man than either than them and whose defending from the front against Leeds was awesome.

You defend as a team and I think a lot of our problems are caused by our wide midfielders not closing down.

16 games, 26 points.

At this stage of the season I tend to look more at the quality of the team than the league table. I don't see the quality in our team, other than up frot.

Last season's play-off run was on the back of an exceptional midfield containing two championship quality midfielders in Bailey and Gower. Bailey was the glue that held us together defensively and Gower provided the class going forward.

I like Christophe but he's not Nicky Bailey. I like Lee Sawyer but he's not Mark Gower. In fact they aren't even ours.

To challenge for the play-offs we've got to sign three quality players minimum, we've got to make sure they were the right player for our team (eg not Peter Clarke, Billy Paynter, Gary Hooper and other signings who haven't fitted into our team) and we've then got to hope they gel immediately. That is an incredibly tough ask.

I'm not giving up on this season, but my priority this season would be the FA Cup and we've got a great chance of getting into the hat with all the big boys.

Back