• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Telling comment from Steve Coppell

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
LADS ARE HEARTBROKEN - STEVE
Posted on: Tue 10 Aug 2010
Steve Coppell says he saw a dressing room full of heartbroken players after the 3-2 extra-time defeat to Southend United in the Carling Cup first round.

City twice led through goals from Jamie McAllister and Ivan Sproule but were pegged back on both occasions, before exiting the competition at the first round stage through an extra time goal.

Speaking on Player, Steve said: "Twice we led and we looked really good for 20-25 minutes.

"Jamie (McAllister) scored a great goal from the free kick and we had further chances. Then they changed formation to match us up.

"They made it more difficult for us but having had the initiative twice I thought we should have been more robust to see it out.

"At 1-1 at half-time it could have gone either way. To score late on and then hand the momentum to them (with another equaliser) it was going to be hard for us.

"I've got a dressing room full of heartbroken players again because we wanted to win this one and kick start our season.

"It was physically very demanding for us and it's 120 minutes when we are struggling for players."

Speaking to the 307 fans who made the trip, Steve added: "I want to thank them. It was a tremendous effort to travel this far on a night like this.

"It must have been hell of a journey and to keep cheering us on and signing was a great effort."

Cole Skuse was withdrawn at half-time due to a hamstring complaint. "He might have carried on but we can't risk things at the moment."

Just the kind of management we need - well done Luggy.

Would Tilly have done that? :net:

AB you may be fishing mate but its a little disrespectful IMO these constant comments from people having sly digs at out most successful manager. Sturrock is 2 games in and we are heralding a genius. Sorry he is doing ok and seems to be going in the right direction lets not use Tilly as the whipping boy as he really doesn't deserve it.

AB you may be fishing mate but its a little disrespectful IMO these constant comments from people having sly digs at out most successful manager. Sturrock is 2 games in and we are heralding a genius. Sorry he is doing ok and seems to be going in the right direction lets not use Tilly as the whipping boy as he really doesn't deserve it.

Couldn't agree more.

In fairness , would Tilly have had the personnel to be able to do it ?

I can see it now...

Tilson: Al! Al! Oi, Don't ignore me! Al! Alan. Alan. Alan. Alan. Granty... get Alan.
McCormack: Whetthafeck dya want?
Tilson: We're being overrun in midfield, you're going to have to sit a little deeper and spread the ball to the wingers to alleviate the pressure...
McCormack: But oi won't be able to score me goals then, bahss.
Tilson: What goals? Just sit deeper, and get the ball out to Damian or Franck
McCormack: Will oi feck! that Franck's a fecking eedjit. He told me I was shoite so I clipped him round the ear 'ole.

Absolutely spot on. I wish people could praise Sturrock without disrespecting Tilly.

Well said.

All these "Would Tilly have done this?" comments, tongue in cheek or not are really starting to wind me up.

The guy will forever be a Southend legend. I'm starting to think maybe it was a good time for a change though and have warmed to Sturrock already.

In fairness , would Tilly have had the personnel to be able to do it ?

This is not a judgment on Tilly's abilities per se, but just on the specific point you raise Firestorm I would say that last season he probably didn't have too many options to change formation during a game (as we know, many times we couldn't even fill the subs bench). However in previous seasons I would say the personnel in terms of numbers ought to have provided the numbers to give Tilly the opportunity to change formation during games - which is often key to getting a result - how good these options were season to season depended on how well the squad had been constructed and balanced by club management.

I can see it now...

Tilson: Al! Al! Oi, Don't ignore me! Al! Alan. Alan. Alan. Alan. Granty... get Alan.
McCormack: Whetthafeck dya want?
Tilson: We're being overrun in midfield, you're going to have to sit a little deeper and spread the ball to the wingers to alleviate the pressure...
McCormack: But oi won't be able to score me goals then, bahss.
Tilson: What goals? Just sit deeper, and get the ball out to Damian or Franck
McCormack: Will oi feck! that Franck's a fecking eedjit. He told me I was shoite so I clipped him round the ear 'ole.

Bloody funny! And about spot on too I imagine!

I agree Kent. Paul Sturrock is doing great, and long may it continue.
The only trouble is, if he does so well that he has other, bigger clubs sounding him out, like Tilly did in the successful times, will he stay? like Tilly did.
I bet these same people will come on here and say 'Tilly wouldn't have left'.
It's just better not to make comparisons, and be able to say we have had Two great managers in recent times.

One thing I will say (putting aside questions around whether Tilly should have left and whether it was handled correctly for a moment) - and I might get shot down a bit for this - but Ron might deserve a little bit of credit for the choice of manager this time. It is of course very early days, but given circumstances it is hard to see that anyone could have done any better to steady the ship by this point than Sturrock and Widdrington. Fair play to them - lets hope they can keep it up.

So far I've caught five!

Your post gave people, like myself, the opportunity to comment on the uneasy feeling towards a few people's disrespectful comments lately towards Tilly across the forum, rather than specifically at your post.

If 'fishing' is your thing though and you enjoy 'catching' five, glad to have enhanced your day.

;)

here here. Leave Tilly out of it. Fair play to Luggy, that's all that needs saying.

It's hardly fishing unless you've been fishing for days. You've alluded to the same point in a number of threads.

I've made my feelings about Tilly quite clear, yes he is the clubs most successful manager and I loved him down here but it went so stale last season (on the pitch) and the change was needed.

Back