• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ten pounds a week for food?

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
I saw in the media that It's possible to feed oneself for a week for just £10.
So I though OK, let's have a try. The rule is - you can only use the real basic stuff from your own cupboards e.g. cooking oil, butter, salt, vinegar and so on.

OK so here's my provision (and indeed provisional) list...

Pineapple 69p
4 pints milk £1
500g red lentils 95p
3xtins sardines total £1.20
5 pack kiwi fruit 75p
200 tin salmon £1.09
500g penne pasta 29p
Large jar pasta sauce 75p
500g porridge 39p
5lb red potatoes £1.20

Total so far £8.31. I will have £1.59 to lavish!

Ian Duncan Smith will be keeping a close watch for future benefit cuts .

I saw in the media that It's possible to feed oneself for a week for just £10.
So I though OK, let's have a try. The rule is - you can only use the real basic stuff from your own cupboards e.g. cooking oil, butter, salt, vinegar and so on.

OK so here's my provision (and indeed provisional) list...

Pineapple 69p
4 pints milk £1
500g red lentils 95p
3xtins sardines total £1.20
5 pack kiwi fruit 75p
200 tin salmon £1.09
500g penne pasta 29p
Large jar pasta sauce 75p
500g porridge 39p
5lb red potatoes £1.20

Total so far £8.31. I will have £1.59 to lavish!

Where have you been shopping for this? this is to suit three meals a day for seven days?

All but the potatoes are in LIDL; red spuds are at my local greengrocer. I have researched the prices but not bought yet - that's tomorrow's job.

I normally eat twice a day, just my way. 'll post progress reports!

14 packs of Batchelors Pasta n Sauce at 50p a throw from Asda (£7)
4 pints of milk (£1)
Box of Cereal (£1.50)

50p to lavish on a treat.

right just been to Aldi. Shop for 2 was 24.24 which included 2 steaks 2.69 (luxuries) and 3.49 chicken fillets (again not essential IMHO).
Basically if I were a student again
Packet of Fruit and Fibre 1.49
6 pints of milk 1.42
10 packs of quick noodles 1.80
a small granary loaf 65
7 Bananas 68
4 tins sardines1.60
a packet cheese 1.95
10.79 if my maths is correct so take off a 2 tin of sardines.
Sorted.
The issue is if you put your mind to it it is possible. If I had to I'd spend a bit of time planning with nutrition etc etc. Porage is a good one. Lasts for ages. As RM says lentils excellent. My favourite when a student and something I occasionally have for nostalgia is tomato ketchup on toast. Still probably too expensive for this survey as I'd insist on Heinz. However the real issue to me is
1) no one on benefits has to only spend £10
2). If you make it too easy no one strives to better themselves
3) we spend money on crap.

PS just got my ticket for yesterday. £13!!!! I was shocked. I'd pay more TBH.

Pretending to be poor isn't my idea of fun.

O feel genuinely sorry for anyone forced to live like this.

Back