• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Taken from The Times....

1. That bloody song

Is there a more depressing sound in sport than 50,000 glory hunters called Tarquin singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot? It’s an American gospel hymn, chaps – leave it alone.

2. Global appeal

When we have a World Cup, the world stops. When you have one, sheep in New Zealand get a couple of nights off and the queue to get into Boujis is a bit shorter.

3. History

It took Tarquin and his friends until 1987 to work out that having a World Cup would be a jolly good idea. Bravo, boys. Just one problem: we’ve been having them since 1930.

4. Brazil

Pelé, Ronaldo, Zico, Rivaldo, Romário, Socrates, Rivelino, Falcão, Bebeto, Kaká, Carlos Alberto, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho . . . Can you name a famous All Black? No, thought not.

5. 4-4-2

We’ve got forwards, midfield players, defenders and a big bloke in goal. You’ve got hookers, blind-side flankers, second five-eights, centre threequarters, scrummies and pivots. Why?

6. Gloryhunters

We call glory hunters Manchester United supporters; in rugger, they’re called rugby fans. Just for the record – Bath v Harlequins on Saturday. Attendance? A pathetic 10,142.

7. Goalkeepers

David Beckham has to beat ten men and a goalkeeper before we’re impressed. What does Jonny have to do? Stay fit, turn up and make sure he’s kicking in the right direction.

8. Class War

Journalist Polly Toynbee on rugger: “A bomb under the West car park at Twickenham would set back fascism in England for a generation.” There’s only one Polly Toynbee.

9. The skill factor

Do you remember that fat kid at school who always used to get picked last? The one who couldn’t run, tackle or pass? He’s playing for England in the World Cup final on Saturday.

10. The haka

Apparently the All Blacks have got some time on their hands next weekend. Why don’t they come down to Millwall and see what the locals make of their famous war dance?

But you forget,

'Those rugby players do it for the love of the game, not just the money like footballers'

'Those rugby players are so well-mannered and articulate, they put our footballers to shame'

'Look at the those footballers rolling around on the floor everytime someone brushes past them. You dont get that in rugby- now that's a real mans game'

Dial-a-cliche

I have to say i like rugby. Not sure why people are under the illusion that you can't like rugby and football. You can like both!

Glory hunters annoy me but you get them in every sport.

For me its the w@nkest sports on the planet and I would rather watch the world rimming championships than the ****ty rugby.

Don't really care about club Rugby, but love the internationals. Seriously couldn't give a monkey's about England's football team but love the club game (well, one club in particular).

1. That bloody song

Is there a more depressing sound in sport than 50,000 glory hunters called Tarquin singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot? It’s an American gospel hymn, chaps – leave it alone.

Look at that no-neck posh rugger bugger w*nker who was all over SSN and other news broadcasts on Sunday (the one with the staring eyes). None of the news channels were given rights to show the game so they had to make do with drunken glory hunting pr!cks singing Sweet Chariot. That ****, for me, summed exactly why I hate and always will hate egg-chasing! The only thing that was ironic about it was they had obviously told him to tone down the hand-actions for "coming forth to", he still shook his wrist but just ever so slightly!

T W @ T

:finger:

Don't really care about club Rugby, but love the internationals. Seriously couldn't give a monkey's about England's football team but love the club game (well, one club in particular).

It's funny isn't it? I have little interest in club rugby but follow international rugby.

Yet, in football it's the reverse situation.

Football over rugby for me every time, but i do like both. Nothing wrong with that.

For me sport is all about pride.

When the England football team lose a world cup game at least people are bothered enough about it to throw a few bar seats about to try and restore a bit of national pride for all of us.

When we lose a rugby match - nothing.

Last edited:
Ah, I see someone else reads the Sunday Times and isn't afraid to pass an article off as their own creation. Brilliant stuff.

I know, I have a brillo idea of "10 reasons Why Rugby Is Better Than Football." Or perhaps I should do a column on why tennis players should be allowed to punch umpires whilst wearing a curly wig and pretending to be from Yorkshire. Nobody will ever suspect. What a jolly jape.

It's funny isn't it? I have little interest in club rugby but follow international rugby.

Yet, in football it's the reverse situation.

Football over rugby for me every time, but i do like both. Nothing wrong with that.

Agree here - don't give a stuff about Rugby clubs but follow the fortunes of England with interest - and it's pertty much the reverse in football.

However, if they clash I'd also watch football every time. It's just a more interesting game.

Dont really understand rugby but am quite interested in England being in the final coz its something for the country to be proud of however, as much as I love football I do think they put the footballers to shame sometimes, especially when it comes to money. How often do you read about rugby players throwing a hissy fit coz they arent getting their £150k a week as requested?! I dont think I ever have!

As they say, Footballers spend 90 mins pretending they are hurt, rugby players spend 90 mins pretending they are not hurt.

Being a member of the England Rugby Supporters Club I feel I ought to defend Rugby! To me it is a proper man's game with none of the prima donna antics of football. That incident with Dida at Celtic simply wouldn't happen in Rugby because, firstly, no fan would be so idiotic as to run onto the pitch, and secondly, no player would ever do what Dida did.

I know I have mentioned it before, but the Saracens team all train in the same gym as me, and I can tell you they are fitter and stronger than any footballer. (I actually feel sorry for the machines when they are using them!) How do I know? Because Luton Town also train there and they are all wimps in comparison.

One of the things I have heard is that football is a game for gentlemen played by thugs and rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen. There is a heck of a lot of truth in that.

I went to Twickenham (or should that be Twickers!) last year to see England play the Barbarians. It was absolutely fantastic, and contrary to one post, I saw the ball most of the time! One thing that I found fascinating is that on the way into the ground you have the chance to buy a little radio headset that is tuned into the referees radio mike so that you can hear everything the referee says, and what the players say to him. You wouldn't believe how polite they all are. Football could learn a thing or two about discipline from Rugby.

All that said, if a game conflicted with a Southend game there will only ever be one winner. Football, for me is still a more fast paced and exciting game, but that doesn't mean I don't recognise rugby as being a proper game for very fit individuals.

rugby is all about seeing a part-time rugby player and full-time radiologist out-gas bryan habana... absolutely amazing!

Ah, I see someone else reads the Sunday Times and isn't afraid to pass an article off as their own creation. Brilliant stuff.

I know, I have a brillo idea of "10 reasons Why Rugby Is Better Than Football." Or perhaps I should do a column on why tennis players should be allowed to punch umpires whilst wearing a curly wig and pretending to be from Yorkshire. Nobody will ever suspect. What a jolly jape.

So u missed the first sentance?!

A lot of balls is spoken about how gentlemanly rugby players are. When Lewsey scored that try against France. he ruffled the French bloke's hair in a patronising manner. If a footballer had done that, RU types would use it as an example of what's wrong in football.

The kits in RU are crap as well nowadays.

If you must follow an oval ball game, try rugby league - now that's a class sport.

Uxbridge enjoying a night out watching the Challenge Cup final....

yorkshi1.jpg

Back