• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ten Reasons why Steve Tilson

Ron Manager

1 - He played in a team which won back to back promotions
2 - He saved us from relegation in his first season as manager
3 - He managed a team that won back to back promotions
4 - He took us to our first ever national cup final,
5 - and then repeated the feat a year later
6 - He has taken us to our first quarter final in a major competition
7 - He managed us to victory against Man United
8 - He signed Freddy Eastwood
9 - He has done all manor of jobs at all levels at the club
10 - He restored pride in our football club after years in the lowest division and has taken us on an amazing journey of success

Ok, so we are playing terribly at the moment. It is Steve Tilson's fault we are bottom of the Championship - without him we could quite possibly be bottom of League 2 or even the Conference!

I agree with everyone of the above, but yesterday not one player was playing for him. Everyone was out from themselves Tilson needs the team to start playing for him or it looks like curtains. It doesnt matter what div we're in if you loose the dressing room it over
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Dec. 03 2006,11:02)]1 - He played in a team which won back to back promotions
10 - He restored pride in our football club after years in the lowest division and has taken us on an amazing journey of success

Ok, so we are playing terribly at the moment. It is Steve Tilson's fault we are bottom of the Championship - without him we could quite possibly be bottom of League 2 or even the Conference!
Close the polls, because post of the year is right there!!

Good on that man!

This argument seems to be very similar to the Bart vs Daryl one which raged all those months ago. I see the same names backing Tilson who back Bart
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Dec. 03 2006,11:02)]1 - He played in a team which won back to back promotions

No disrespect, but exactly what have they got to do with our current predicament now then?

Yes, all those points are true, but unfortunately, 17 ganes without a win, in any league, the appearance of losing the dressing room, and players clearly not interested in playing for him anymore are a whole lot more relevant to the current situation.

Yesterday for me, especially as he didnt come out after the game and talk to the press, has the feeling of that may have been his last game in charge, and if it wasnt, then it might not be far away.

Tilly is a legend, and will remain so as long as this current humiliating run does not continue. Does he really want to tarnish his reputation with the fans and end up ruining everything that went before?

Fans have short memories, and if this run continues, they will only be able to remember the bad stuff and how he took us down with possible our lowest ever points tally.

Ron Martin may not sack him, and if he doesnt you could argue that that is admirably in the current climate of football management, but if Tilly has any pride left, and he believes that he has gone as far as he can, which I think he has, then surely it is better to swallow your pride, walk away, and let someone else at least have half a chance of trying to salvage our season?

The team that were out there yesterday would not have beaten a decent League Two team, and if it continues like that, I am not sure how people can say that he will bring us straight back up next year... He wont I am afraid!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Dec. 03 2006,12:31)]
[b said:

No disrespect, but exactly what have they got to do with our current predicament now then?

Yes, all those points are true, but unfortunately, 17 ganes without a win, in any league, the appearance of losing the dressing room, and players clearly not interested in playing for him anymore are a whole lot more relevant to the current situation.

Yesterday for me, especially as he didnt come out after the game and talk to the press, has the feeling of that may have been his last game in charge, and if it wasnt, then it might not be far away.

Tilly is a legend, and will remain so as long as this current humiliating run does not continue.  Does he really want to tarnish his reputation with the fans and end up ruining everything that went before?

Fans have short memories, and if this run continues, they will only be able to remember the bad stuff and how he took us down with possible our lowest ever points tally.

Ron Martin may not sack him, and if he doesnt you could argue that that is admirably in the current climate of football management, but if Tilly has any pride left, and he believes that he has gone as far as he can, which I think he has, then surely it is better to swallow your pride, walk away, and let someone else at least have half a chance of trying to salvage our season?

The team that were out there yesterday would not have beaten a decent League Two team, and if it continues like that, I am not sure how people can say that he will bring us straight back up next year... He wont I am afraid!
Post of the Millennium
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Dec. 03 2006,12:31)]Fans have short memories, and if this run continues, they will only be able to remember the bad stuff and how he took us down with possible our lowest ever points tally.
Fans also demand complete loyalty from managers and players, and when they decide to move on to pastures new they are villified as a Judas or traitor to SUFC.

Yet as soon as things start going pear shaped the same supporters with incredible and breathtaking hypocrisy immediately demand the head of the manager.

The sad fact is we currently are no way near good enough. Therefore, and it may sound defeatist the club must start planning for the future. With that in mind the team should be strengthened (if possible) in January and the summer with a view to ehat will happen in season 2007/2008. Many so called small clubs have done this in previous seasons and have reaped the rewards. Look at the examples of Crewe, Port Vale and Walsall to name a few.

After 40 odd years of supporting this club i certainly do not view things through rose coloured spectacles, and always with healthy amount of cynicism. I honestly don't see the point of getting rid of Tilson, and the getting a new manager who will be an unknown quantity. Also in adopting that policy the new bloke will only inherit the problems that Tilly currently has, the fact we aren't quite good enough and we cannot compete financially. The finances may change with the advent of the new stadium, however that is at least two years hence.

I hope we can get ourselves out of the current mess, but fear realistically it isn't going to happen. Therefore judicious planning for the future is the way forward IMO.

It's all about opinions of course but for the life of me I cannot see what good sacking Tilly would do.

Look at the successful teams in English football and they are all ones with continuity in the management role (Chelski's millions excepted). We tried chopping and changing managers and all it lead to was years of misery in League 2 - we should be looking at what Dario Gradi has achieved for Crewe and learn from that. Tilly could be our Dario Gradi and be manager for years to come.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Dec. 03 2006,15:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Dec. 03 2006,12:31)]Fans have short memories, and if this run continues, they will only be able to remember the bad stuff and how he took us down with possible our lowest ever points tally.
Fans also demand complete loyalty from managers and players, and when they decide to move on to pastures new they are villified as a Judas or traitor to SUFC.

Yet as soon as things start going pear shaped the same supporters with incredible and breathtaking hypocrisy immediately demand the head of the manager.

The sad fact is we currently are no way near good enough. Therefore, and it may sound defeatist the club must start planning for the future. With that in mind the team should be strengthened (if possible) in January and the summer with a view to ehat will happen in season 2007/2008. Many so called small clubs have done this in previous seasons and have reaped the rewards. Look at the examples of Crewe, Port Vale and Walsall to name a few.

After 40 odd years of supporting this club i certainly do not view things through rose coloured spectacles, and always with healthy amount of cynicism. I honestly don't see the point of getting rid of Tilson, and the getting a new manager who will be an unknown quantity. Also in adopting that policy the new bloke will only inherit the problems that Tilly currently has, the fact we aren't quite good enough and we cannot compete financially. The finances may change with the advent of the new stadium, however that is at least two years hence.

I hope we can get ourselves out of the current mess, but fear realistically it isn't going to happen. Therefore judicious planning for the future is the way forward IMO.
Exactly, CS!

if the internet had existed when Dave Smith suffered relegation with the team no doubt he'd have been sacked. The following season..............well you all know the rest.
smile.gif

Back