• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
If you ever wanted to capture the essence of modern football in just one page, you could do a lot worse than paying a visit to Chelsea's website. Here, behind the splash of adverts for a new kit that looks more like a women's cycling top than a football jersey, you will find John Terry's statement of 'loyalty' to his club. Flanked by adverts for a downloadable Terry animation and an exciting opportunity to 'follow' the club on Twitter, Chelsea's talismanic captain reveals exactly why he stayed quiet for almost a month, allowing the speculation to build to breaking point.

"I know there has been comment that I should have made a statement earlier," said Terry, dispelling the notion that he had actually been trapped under a rock all summer, "however...we all agreed that the timing of any statement would suit everyone involved...not any outside influences or agendas."

Bobbins. It's the 'outside influences' who have benefited most from the speculation. The press have had a whale of a time, filling page after page by simply taking the largest number they can think of, multiplying it by ten and then claiming that that's how much Terry would earn every hour if he signed for Manchester City. City themselves have revelled in the silence, knowing full well that the plausible possibility of the England captain arriving at Eastlands can only have aided their negotiations with Emmanuel Adebayor and Carlos Tevez. What have Chelsea got from this 'calculated' timing?

The club has had to endure weeks of public inquisition, the confusion has overshadowed the vital weeks of pre-season preparation and the fans have been forced to question the motives of an idol whose character had never before been in any doubt. With every day of silence, the nagging suspicion that Terry was just as bad as every other footballer grew. Surely their captain wouldn't turn his back on them, a title challenge, European football and the chance to be the most-beloved Stamford Bridge legend since Ron Harris? But if he wouldn't betray them, why wasn't he saying anything? So, tell me again who this late, late statement suited?

The obvious explanation was that Terry was using City's interest to force Chelsea to give him a new and improved contract, but that has been denied. Strange then, that all the newspapers are confidently reporting that he will sign a new GBP150,000 a week deal in the near-future. Terry has insisted that his primary concerns were not his wages, but the direction of the club and the retention of key players like Frank Lampard

"It's never been about a new contract for John Terry, "he said. "I want these kind of players around me. I want these kind of players at Chelsea Football Club."

But who is he to dictate club policy? He's the captain, not the Director of Football. If nothing else, this saga will have taught Carlo Ancelotti exactly where the power lies at Stamford Bridge. The Italian has enough problems dealing with Roman Abramovich's impatience, Peter Kenyon's machinations, Frank Arnesen's apparent invulnerability and the supporters who s turned on his predecessor before the Christmas decorations came down. Now he has learned that he has to run transfer policy past his centre-back.

Rejoice then, Chelsea fans, for your captain is staying. Disingenuous, power-hungry and already referring to himself in the third person, he's the perfect man to lead you in these imperfect times.

Last edited:
I actually quite like the 'perfect man to lead you in these imperfect times'.

I don't know what City were offering, but am I the only one who thinks that anything like 30mil for Terry would be a good deal for Chelsea. Over the past two seasons his performances have been getting worse and for that kind of money you could surely buy a centre back with more class, or a like for like rugged English style centre back with change to spare....

I hate it when people refer to themselves in the third person - it is the ultimate proof that their ego has swollen past the point of no return.

His silence only served as a bargaining chip in his wage negotiations - that was, surely, as plain as a pikestaff to all & sundry.

Chelsea should have cashed in, frankly.

Matt

I think your last line is perfect Slip, but fear not everyone will agree.

Actually, the last line that I was worried about has already been deleted. It did read, "Mind you, he's perfect for us 'outside influences' as well."

Felt a bit clunky, so I culled it.

Actually, the last line that I was worried about has already been deleted. It did read, "Mind you, he's perfect for us 'outside influences' as well."

Felt a bit clunky, so I culled it.

Oh.......ooooops! :D I stand by what I said though, I like your current last line, but can see others might not!

Oh.......ooooops! :D I stand by what I said though, I like your current last line, but can see others might not!

Why wouldnt they?

On the subject of the article, I agree with MtS that Chelsea should have taken the money. Terry portrays himself as Mr Chelsea but he's evidently not as loyal as he tries to make out.

Back