• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
If there were any question marks still lingering over John Terry's suitability to captain England, they were blown away in Berlin with a moment of grace and humility that is all too rare in a game poisoned by money and egos. Terry could have explained away Germany's comical equaliser by blaming young goalkeeper Scott Carson for a lack of authority. He could have clouded the issue by putting it down to an ambiguous mix-up, a case of crossed wires. Instead, the Chelsea defender stood in front of the cameras and held his hands up, rightly accepting full responsibility and saving Carson's international career in the process.

Germany's goal was the only blemish on a encouraging night for England that could so easily have turned sour. Fabio Capello's continuing project, to turn a motley collection of long-ball merchants into a competitive continental powerhouse, bore fruit once again on a wet night in the German capital. Granted, there was a touch of the Sven Goran Eriksson syndrome in this 'first half good, second half not so good' display, but a 2-1 victory will be a welcome boost to morale.

Anyone tempted to dismiss this as just another friendly will have been put right by the inevitable catcalls that greeted both national anthems and the ferocity with which England went about their business in the first half. Every loose ball was fought for, Shaun-Wright Phillips managed to pick up a booking and even Jermaine Defoe was spotted flying into tackles. You certainly can't accuse this side of lacking the hunger for a fight.

Germany, by contrast, were desperately poor and relied upon a vain series of long balls as their only outlet, conceding a soft goal from a set-piece to Matthew Upson in the process. Much improved after the break, they still should have been two down when Darren Bent latched onto a superb Gareth Barry pass, rounded Tim Wiese and then, like Ricardo Gardner for Bolton at the weekend, fell over and blasted the ball wide.

Football has an unerring knack of punishing stupidity and it didn't take long to see the equilibrium restored. If Bent's miss was calamitous, then how can Germany's equaliser be described? John Terry should have either dealt with the aimless long ball or ordered Carson to clear it. He did neither and Patrick Helmes stole in to make the West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper look almost as silly as he did when he last represented his country against Croatia.

Previous incarnations of England might have stopped there and preserved a creditable draw, but there was too much to prove for too many of the side. Gabriel Agbonlahor went close, but Terry finally secured the victory, powering home a Stewart Downing free-kick from what appeared to be an offside position. It came as a relief for Capello who is experienced enough to recognise that, while this result looks good, the reckless attempts to retain possession in the second half did not.

Terry spoke well after the game about the second-string players giving the Italian manager a selection headache, but his wisest words were saved for a young man who must have picked the ball out of the net while wondering if he'd ever be called up again. A talented goalkeeper at domestic level, Carson may still get another chance. If he does, he'll know who he has to thank.

MATCH STATS
Crowd: 74,244
Yellow cards: Wright-Phillips (England)
Red cards: None
England:
David James 7 (Scott Carson 5, 45th), Glen Johnson 7, Wayne Bridge 5, Matthew Upson 7, John Terry 6, Shaun Wright-Phillips 7, Stewart Downing 7, Michael Carrick 8, Gareth Barry 8, Gabriel Agbonlahor 8 (Ashley Young 6, 77th), Jermaine Defoe 6 (Darren Bent 6, 45th)
Germany:
Rene Adler 5 (Tim Wiese 7, 45th), Heiko Westermann 7, Per Mertesacker 7, Marvin Compper 6 (Marcel Scahefer 6, 77th), Arne Freidrich 6 (Serdar Tasci 6, 68th), Simon Rolfes 6, Jermaine Jones 6 (Marco Marin 6, 45th), Piotr Trochowski 7, Bastien Schweinsteiger 7, Miroslav Klose 5 (Patrick Helmes 45th), Mario Gomez 6 (Lukasz Podolski 6, 57th)

Yep, a grade "A" tosser as shown by the snidey, cowardly way he spat on Tevez in the Champions League final before skulking away. He may have admitted fault for the Germany goal but he did go on to modestly mention that he won the game for England just in case anyone was in doubt about his greatness. Give me Steven Gerrard as captain any day of the week....

Gerrard?! He didn't even want to show up! Serial diving scallie!

Ideal world, Stuart Pearce. Sadly, I think his knees have gone.

I missed the first 20 minutes of this, but I honestly don't see why everyone was getting so excited about this game? I guess it must have been contained in that time though from what I saw afterwards. All the match reports and ITV's bunch of buffoons talked of us dominating, and looking like a class act with our reserves out, but other than a few solid performances and Carrick adding some intelligence to our central play, was it really that great?

Sure we looked ok, but was that more down to the ineptitude of our opponents I thought. I'm not knocking the performance; it was totally adequate.

But nothing much more in my eyes...

I missed the first 20 minutes of this, but I honestly don't see why everyone was getting so excited about this game? I guess it must have been contained in that time though from what I saw afterwards. All the match reports and ITV's bunch of buffoons talked of us dominating, and looking like a class act with our reserves out, but other than a few solid performances and Carrick adding some intelligence to our central play, was it really that great?

Sure we looked ok, but was that more down to the ineptitude of our opponents I thought. I'm not knocking the performance; it was totally adequate.

But nothing much more in my eyes...

the first 20 minutes was possibly the best bit, to be fair. You're right though, Germany looked awful- reminded me of many an England performance. I'm still in shock from seeing Stuart Downing made to look vaguely like an international class winger.

I've never liked John Terry and was firmly in the Gerrard for captain camp. However John Terry taking the blame for the goal was not only the right thing, but the sort of thing a good captain does, so I appluad him for that :clap:. Doesn't mean i like him though.

But at least he showed pride to wear the shirt unlike those that cried off with 'injuries', bet they all play for their clubs at the weekend. The 'second string' played well and played for the shirt against a poor german team, and the players that didn't turn up need look to over their shoulders and be worried.

the first 20 minutes was possibly the best bit, to be fair. You're right though, Germany looked awful- reminded me of many an England performance. I'm still in shock from seeing Stuart Downing made to look vaguely like an international class winger.

Whats happened to them I wonder? Did they have lots of first team out too, or are they just having their compulsory bad patch they endure inbetween tournaments shortly before they peak 1 month prior to the start of a major championship and do very well indeed?

Look, he had a note from his mum ok?

I bet he did, as well! I reckon he was in a pub in Scouseland with his scouse mates, laughing at the telly and throwing beer back while trying to nick his mate's watch, oblivious to the fact that his mate was trying to do the same to him. Dey doo do, don't dey?

I settled down expecting another coma inducing International Friendly. Even John Terrys pre-match interview where he spoke of the hurt he felt when Germany won at Wembley last year, I still wasn't expecting much. In light of all the pullouts this week I was expecting the worst.

How wrong I was, What I ended up seeing was the most enjoyable England friendly since the 3-2 win over the Argies. Apart from the gratuitous use of subs it was not your usual friendly fare. I've never been a massive fan of JT, especially in a Chelsea shirt but what he did last night in his post match interview was pure class.

It was even more satisfying that we did the business with so many big names missing. We now have healthy competition for places all over the pitch, the only position I'm really concerned about is the goalkeeping. Hopefully Joe Hart will be fit for the next friendlies. Last night I saw a load of fringe players seize their opportunity against a good standard of opposition, the total opposite to what I had seen 24 hours earlier at Roots Hall.

Back