• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Ok, so a stunning win England albeit not an especially stunning performance but I have a few questions for the SZ cricket knowledge-base:

1.a. Why does every media agency seem to be giving all the plaudits to Strauss when Monty took 6 of a possible nine wickets in the 2nd NZ innings ripping through their top order? I never really thought I'd see that from an England spinner
1.b. Does this mean we can expect Strauss to resurrect some fluency?
1.c. Is it Collingwood's turn to be scratching around and fearing for his place in the team in spite of having a >40 test average over 35 matches?
2. Having watched the highlights about ten times on Sky's 'we don't have anything else so we'll just repeat that' show, I've been increasingly shocked by the New Zealand fielding in the 2nd English innings. How havea team so reknowned for good fielding let it slip this much?
3. Does anyone feel that Vettori's participation in the IPL has significantly hindered his team's preparation?
4. Do you consider England to have come out of this with a positive light due to their battling or a negative light due to their inability to dominate opponents who seem so brittle?

Ok, so a stunning win England albeit not an especially stunning performance but I have a few questions for the SZ cricket knowledge-base:

1.a. Why does every media agency seem to be giving all the plaudits to Strauss when Monty took 6 of a possible nine wickets in the 2nd NZ innings ripping through their top order? I never really thought I'd see that from an England spinner

Monty did get the Man of the match award, I presume however his feats may have been more lauded in yesterdays papers (giving his imput the day before) wheras todays coverage at the conclusion of the test will be more reflective of Strauss's imput yesterday. He did top score in both innnings as well. However, I agree, whilst I dont tend to enjoy watching England bowl the session on Sunday was magnificent display of spin bowling. Even my Mrs, who had never seen a cricket match last week now wants a Monty T-Shirt

1.b. Does this mean we can expect Strauss to resurrect some fluency?
You could argue his fluency has been resurrected.....his last 4 test scores have all been over 50, and include a career high plus yesterdays century. Sometimes scores can be deceptive, but it was the calm and untroubled way Strauss played that was most pleasing. However the attack is mediocre

1.c. Is it Collingwood's turn to be scratching around and fearing for his place in the team in spite of having a >40 test average over 35 matches?
Yes. Where scores can be deceptive, until the final over no score card can reflect how badly out of form Collingwood looked yesterday. The question the selectors have to ask is a) is the shoulder injury happening him and b) do you allow you batsman to regain form in the test arena. I think they will keep him in for this game, then the one dayers to regain form for the tougher test against South Africa's pace attack. But Bopara will be wating in the wings for a slip.

2. Having watched the highlights about ten times on Sky's 'we don't have anything else so we'll just repeat that' show, I've been increasingly shocked by the New Zealand fielding in the 2nd English innings. How havea team so reknowned for good fielding let it slip this much?

New Zealand's how outlook changed when they went from underdogs to the team that should win this. They just lacked the verve and energy you would ahve expected, even at start of yesterday after their batting collapse the day before they were still favourates

3. Does anyone feel that Vettori's participation in the IPL has significantly hindered his team's preparation?He has not done too badly individually (though crumbled badly in the 4th innings when all eyes were on him). Think it is just the current state of things with players flying in just prior to series (Harmy has done it a few times).

4. Do you consider England to have come out of this with a positive light due to their battling or a negative light due to their inability to dominate opponents who seem so brittle? The battling win was reminiscent of the run during the Fletcher glory years.....often we would not have much initiative until the 3rd or 4th day, when a momentum seizing innings would win us the game. I think there is still more to come from Bell and Pieterson in the batting, buth the other three look ok. I predicted on another cricket thread at the end of the tour to NZ that Ambrose would not be wicket keeper by the end of the summer, and sadly I think I may be right. Tidy glovework but not a patch on Prior with the bat, and he has been in good nick for Sussex.

My thoughts above for what they are worth.....

Last edited:
Monty did get the Man of the match award, I presume however his feats may have been more lauded in yesterdays papers (giving his imput the day before) wheras todays coverage at the conclusion of the test will be more reflective of Strauss's imput yesterday. He did top score in both innnings as well. However, I agree, whilst I dont tend to enjoy watching England bowl the session on Sunday was magnificent display of spin bowling. Even my Mrs, who had never seen a cricket match last week now wants a Monty T-Shirt

It was more that the summaries of the game which I saw all lead with phrases such as "Strauss inspires England to victory" when, to me, the more remarkable achievement seemed to be Monty. Not that I begrudge Strauss the credit as he seems a likeable chap but on merit, I'd have been harping on about Monty.

I think they will keep him in for this game, then the one dayers to regain form for the tougher test against South Africa's pace attack. But Bopara will be wating in the wings for a slip.

I would have thought so, too. However, in his position, I think he's almost undroppable. I can't really imagine a senior player like him being dropped for the test team and kept for the ODIs and his worth in terms of fielding and bowling in shorter forms (not to mention him being captain) are almost enough to keep him in alone. Hard to say whether I'd put Bopara in ahead of Collingwood in spite of his last performance.

Last edited:
I would have thought so, too. However, in his position, I think he's almost undroppable. I can't really imagine a senior player like him being dropped for the test team and kept for the ODIs and his worth in terms of fielding and bowling in shorter forms (not to mention him being captain) are almost enough to keep him in alone. Hard to say whether I'd put Bopara in ahead of Collingwood in spite of his last performance.

Its a really tricky one....Collingwood has been a really good asset for England in the tests....gutsy batting in all conditions, and electic fielding. However, I always felt he was performing above his true level (and credit to him for that!), and it wouldnt be long before he was found out as a test batsman and performed more like one with a First class average of about 35.

Him being captain of the one dayers and losing his test place should not be a problem and may actually help the unity of the test squad. It further re-emphasises the divide between the two. I dont think incumbent test captains like their players playing under a different leader in the one dayers then coming back to tests and the one day captain returning to the ranks.

As much as Bopara is the next batsman likely to get the call, and Flintoff seemingly lined up to take one of the seamers roles rather than a top 6 position.......I think Broads promise with the bat could change that thinking. I wouldnt be surprised to see Flintoff replace Collingwood if he continues to struggle, allowing us 5 bowlers. Could also see perhaps Prior in for Ambrose, to give a lower middle order of Prior at 6 Flintoff 7 and Broad 8.

Mark's pretty much said it all, the one thing I'd add about it being Strauss guiding England to victory is that NZ were still favourites when England went out to bat. As NZ's bowling is better than their batting (Ross Taylor aside), I suppose its slightly more impressive as well.

Its a really tricky one....Collingwood has been a really good asset for England in the tests....gutsy batting in all conditions, and electic fielding. However, I always felt he was performing above his true level (and credit to him for that!), and it wouldnt be long before he was found out as a test batsman and performed more like one with a First class average of about 35.

Him being captain of the one dayers and losing his test place should not be a problem and may actually help the unity of the test squad. It further re-emphasises the divide between the two. I dont think incumbent test captains like their players playing under a different leader in the one dayers then coming back to tests and the one day captain returning to the ranks.

As much as Bopara is the next batsman likely to get the call, and Flintoff seemingly lined up to take one of the seamers roles rather than a top 6 position.......I think Broads promise with the bat could change that thinking. I wouldnt be surprised to see Flintoff replace Collingwood if he continues to struggle, allowing us 5 bowlers. Could also see perhaps Prior in for Ambrose, to give a lower middle order of Prior at 6 Flintoff 7 and Broad 8.

The trouble with replacing Collingwood with Flintoff is that you'd be replacing one out of form batsman with another. If you make a change, the only short term viable option to replace Collingwood is your long term option to takeover that role, Bopara.

I do however like the idea of a lower middle order of Prior, Flintoff and Broad. I don't think Ambrose could bat at 6, but from what I saw of Prior in Sri Lanka, he could.

Back