• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thank You Ron Martin! …… Controversial Or Not?

CaptainSmudger

The Official Southend United Pilot⭐
I would like to thank Ron Martin for providing the funds for the embargo to be lifted ( Great Job by Tom Lawrence here) and for the recent signings on what seems to be three excellent footballers for our level and potential to a higher level.
I know some on here cannot forgive Ron, now we are in the National League.
But for me He is interested in us doing well and is providing the funds to put it right.

Onwards and Upwards COYB, UTB :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

Last edited:
Not controversial at all. A great man, with the clubs best interests at heart. Two permanent signings, 3 wins on the bounce, a new stadium on the horizon and roots hall rocking. Where’s all the Martin Out brigade now? So what if we slip into an embargo once in a while, Ron always gets us out and we should all be eternally grateful

IN RON WE TRUST.

Now last year, some people weren't being paid, and at one stage we couldn't afford to open up Boots&Laces. I'm sure someone like Rigsby can confirm that. We were even short of money for the basics. I would love to know where all this money has come from. Maybe from Ron Martin, maybe from people like Stan Collymore, I know he's been working his socks off along with others to get sponsorship and donations coming in. Who knows. Whatever way it's suddenly appeared, thank the football gods. And well done whoever is responsible, even if it's Ron. Those two new players were very much sort after by other clubs, even clubs in a higher league. So I imagine we payed a pretty penny for each of those. Anyway, the heat is off Ron Martin. And we should enjoy the football why we can.

I find that very hard to believe or have any real confidence in.

After the humiliation and embarrassment that we have been reduced to, and given the appalling track record, it’s hard to give any credit whatsoever. I get the feeling that unless it directly benefits one person , he only does what he is forced to do…. And then only reluctantly. ?

Maybe too pessimistic, but I am even slightly concerned at where the money might have come from ? Could it possibly have been diverted funding from the start up loan for the new development of flats, houses and retail etc etc ( oh, and I nearly forgot, …….hopefully a small football ground too ! )

Plus of course, ANY funding is likely to have been provided via the multi layered spiders web of various companies that now completely ensnare SUFC ….. thus ensuring that we will be trapped in lifelong permanent debt to….. guess who ?? .

I might be wrong, but it doesn’t strike me as a really great prospect for our club ??

The transfer fees for the new lads will almost certainly be paid in instalments so won't make too much difference to the current cash flow.

Look at where we are now in the football pyramid. A large minute penalty win at home against Kings Lynn does not undo the negligence of the previous four years. In order to turn things around Stan basically had to organise a coup against Ron’s control of the club, making him appoint Tom and then Kev and co. I’m grateful we are no longer in an embargo, but that was a problem created by Ron that only he could solve. I am delighted we are seemingly on the right track but also annoyed as to why we couldn’t do this earlier before we squandered our L1 and L2 status.

I never understand why Ron gets praised for lifting embargoes when he's the one who puts us in them in the first place! I'm glad he's seemingly realised that he doesn't know how to run a club by himself and so has bought in people to help him but he should have done this years ago. It will take more than a few good weeks before he should start being thanked, there's still a long way to go and things could easily derail again given our history.

Now last year, some people weren't being paid, and at one stage we couldn't afford to open up Boots&Laces. I'm sure someone like Rigsby can confirm that. We were even short of money for the basics. I would love to know where all this money has come from. Maybe from Ron Martin, maybe from people like Stan Collymore, I know he's been working his socks off along with others to get sponsorship and donations coming in. Who knows. Whatever way it's suddenly appeared, thank the football gods. And well done whoever is responsible, even if it's Ron. Those two new players were very much sort after by other clubs, even clubs in a higher league. So I imagine we payed a pretty penny for each of those. Anyway, the heat is off Ron Martin. And we should enjoy the football why we can.
The money is likely to be from loans. Having planning permission means lenders are more willing to lend to his group companies who then loan to us.

What this does show is that the impediment to winning wasn’t Ron (although he certainly wasn’t helping when Maher, Molesley and Campbell and even Bond were under embargoes) but that **** Phil Brown. The difference between that Col Ewe game - easily the lowest moment in the club’s history and probably the worst performance - and last night is night and day. Had we used that transfer budget in the summer to rebuild properly under a proper manager we’d be eyeing up promotion now. Instead we spent the summer trying to convince Ricky Holmes and Greg Halford to stay and signing a load of past it crocks who are nearly all currently injured/returning from injury.

Not controversial at all. A great man, with the clubs best interests at heart. Two permanent signings, 3 wins on the bounce, a new stadium on the horizon and roots hall rocking. Where’s all the Martin Out brigade now? So what if we slip into an embargo once in a while, Ron always gets us out and we should all be eternally grateful

IN RON WE TRUST.
Nice to hear from you Ron.
Please keep us away from anymore Embargoes and I will put you back on my Christmas Card List.
COYB, UTB :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

Four new Players Ollie Kensdale, Leon Davies, Harry Cardwell and Noor Husin ????????
Please can we Sign Matt Dennis and Neil Harrison!
Well Done Kev, Darren and Mark.
COYB UTB :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

Last edited:
I find that very hard to believe or have any real confidence in.

After the humiliation and embarrassment that we have been reduced to, and given the appalling track record, it’s hard to give any credit whatsoever. I get the feeling that unless it directly benefits one person , he only does what he is forced to do…. And then only reluctantly. ?

Maybe too pessimistic, but I am even slightly concerned at where the money might have come from ? Could it possibly have been diverted funding from the start up loan for the new development of flats, houses and retail etc etc ( oh, and I nearly forgot, …….hopefully a small football ground too ! )

Plus of course, ANY funding is likely to have been provided via the multi layered spiders web of various companies that now completely ensnare SUFC ….. thus ensuring that we will be trapped in lifelong permanent debt to….. guess who ?? .

I might be wrong, but it doesn’t strike me as a really great prospect for our club ??
Cheer Up rootshall rambler, We are on our way back.
COYB UTB :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:

Not controversial at all. A great man, with the clubs best interests at heart. Two permanent signings, 3 wins on the bounce, a new stadium on the horizon and roots hall rocking Where's all the Martin Out brigade now? So what if we slip into an embargo once in a while, Ron always gets us out and we should all be eternally grateful

IN RON WE TRUST.

MARTIN OUT

The money is likely to be from loans. Having planning permission means lenders are more willing to lend to his group companies who then loan to us.

What this does show is that the impediment to winning wasn’t Ron (although he certainly wasn’t helping when Maher, Molesley and Campbell and even Bond were under embargoes) but that **** Phil Brown. The difference between that Col Ewe game - easily the lowest moment in the club’s history and probably the worst performance - and last night is night and day. Had we used that transfer budget in the summer to rebuild properly under a proper manager we’d be eyeing up promotion now. Instead we spent the summer trying to convince Ricky Holmes and Greg Halford to stay and signing a load of past it crocks who are nearly all currently injured/returning from injury.
Of all the mistakes Ron has made, entrusting Brown and Duncan with getting us out of the National League has to be the most short sighted of the lot. Only Stan’s arrival on the scene and the fans finally having enough, plus maybe personal circumstances..forced him to step back and admit he needed to hand over control of the football side of things. Thank **** he sacked Brown when he did. Never go back!

As others have said I wish he’d realised sooner that he needed help. He’s realised now though so let’s hope for a brighter future.

Back