• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thank You Ron Martin! …… Controversial Or Not?

We are in the National League . Without previous embargoes that would not be the case . To have dropped out of the EFL is unforgivable and for that Ron is accountable and has to go ASAP... I think he will....
There are and have been much bigger clubs than us that have dropped out of the EFL into the VNL over the years ,perhaps its what was needed for our club to wake up and become more professional in every facet of being a football club ,We were living in the past ,but i can see a beautiful future for this club now ,it will take time ,but we certainly will get our EFL status back again, it will take 2 or 3 seasons i said that preseason,, but this time when we are back there we will finally fulfill the potential this great club has.

I would like to thank Ron Martin for providing the funds for the embargo to be lifted ( Great Job by Tom Lawrence here) and for the recent signings on what seems to be three excellent footballers for our level and potential to a higher level.
I know some on here cannot forgive Ron, now we are in the National League.
But for me He is interested in us doing well and is providing the funds to put it right.

Onwards and Upwards COYB, UTB :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter:
Can't disagree with this. Yes he has made poor decisions, but a successful Southend United is better for him long term. I've admittedly not been his or Stan's biggest fan recently but the upturn in form & results have been extremely encouraging. Confident we are safe now with room to improve next season ❤️

Not controversial at all. A great man, with the clubs best interests at heart. Two permanent signings, 3 wins on the bounce, a new stadium on the horizon and roots hall rocking. Where’s all the Martin Out brigade now? So what if we slip into an embargo once in a while, Ron always gets us out and we should all be eternally grateful

IN RON WE TRUST.
Great post, couldn’t agree more ….
He was a lovely lion, so what he ate a few of our kids.. but everyone once in a while he rubbed his head up against us and gave us a lick! A great lion

There are and have been much bigger clubs than us that have dropped out of the EFL into the VNL over the years ,perhaps its what was needed for our club to wake up and become more professional in every facet of being a football club ,We were living in the past ,but i can see a beautiful future for this club now ,it will take time ,but we certainly will get our EFL status back again, it will take 2 or 3 seasons i said that preseason,, but this time when we are back there we will finally fulfill the potential this great club has.
Yeah this is true. Living in the past .. indeed, hoping something would stick without making proper changes behind the scenes and looking long term. We’re doing that now, we’ve got real football people in place who care about SUFC not just themselves. Direction that we’ve not had for years.

If you were at the game Friday you could see the bond between players & fans returning, people enjoying the game. Things are already changing.

Great post, couldn’t agree more ….
He was a lovely lion, so what he ate a few of our kids.. but everyone once in a while he rubbed his head up against us and gave us a lick! A great lion

I read about that family. The idiots were taking selfies with a captured lion. Now the monkeys are holding up banners saying "Lion Out". The bizarre thing is they are convinced if they get a tiger in then it could never happen again......

I reckon if we release the old lion over at Fossetts he wont bother anyone.

The agreement to lift the HMRC related embargo, is a time to pay agreement. Yes there will have been a down payment, which I’m sure a group company would of paid for… but RM would of had to of sort this with Tom as it was becoming more and more toxic towards Ron.

FACT, the finances behind the 2 new signings, are being funded from the funds of a new sponsor, brought in by Tom Lawrence! Which I’m sure the sponsor will be announced very soon!

We can clearly see an improvement on the pitch, around the club and everywhere else, from Ron Martin not being involved in the day to day running of the football club. So just stay away Ron.

Yes we all know he will be back parading on the pitch if we manage to go up next season, but I would suggest a major majority of fans don’t see him as “welcome” at Roots Hall.

The money is likely to be from loans. Having planning permission means lenders are more willing to lend to his group companies who then loan to us.

What this does show is that the impediment to winning wasn’t Ron (although he certainly wasn’t helping when Maher, Molesley and Campbell and even Bond were under embargoes) but that **** Phil Brown. The difference between that Col Ewe game - easily the lowest moment in the club’s history and probably the worst performance - and last night is night and day. Had we used that transfer budget in the summer to rebuild properly under a proper manager we’d be eyeing up promotion now. Instead we spent the summer trying to convince Ricky Holmes and Greg Halford to stay and signing a load of past it crocks who are nearly all currently injured/returning from injury.
Seriously? We lost 2-0 at Colchester and it turned out to be a crucial result, but I would have said the lowest point in our history has been exceeded several times since then! I would also have the 4-0 home reverse v Harrogate on the opening day last season as the worst performance in our history.

There has been a lot of noise about THAT game v Colchester in the past... Brown said something at the time about the truth coming out at some point but I must admit I seemed to have missed it... what actually happened? Does anyone know?

Wasn’t it banter on the team coach that went wrong ?????
Seriously? We lost 2-0 at Colchester and it turned out to be a crucial result, but I would have said the lowest point in our history has been exceeded several times since then! I would also have the 4-0 home reverse v Harrogate on the opening day last season as the worst performance in our history.

There has been a lot of noise about THAT game v Colchester in the past... Brown said something at the time about the truth coming out at some point but I must admit I seemed to have missed it... what actually happened? Does anyone know? wasnt it banter with Brown that went wrong ?????

Still a great debate this one! Personally I can only see responsibility for the shambles of the last 4 or 5 years resting on Ron’s shoulders. One thing that I will allow him some credit for is finally bowing down and listening to Stan and bringing in Tom on his recommendation. Without Tom I think we would be nowhere near where we are now.

Still a great debate this one! Personally I can only see responsibility for the shambles of the last 4 or 5 years resting on Ron’s shoulders. One thing that I will allow him some credit for is finally bowing down and listening to Stan and bringing in Tom on his recommendation. Without Tom I think we would be nowhere near where we are now.

What, just safe “ish” from relegation again?

There has been a lot of noise about THAT game v Colchester in the past... Brown said something at the time about the truth coming out at some point but I must admit I seemed to have missed it... what actually happened? Does anyone know?
He blamed the analyst didn’t he? All Brown proved when he came back was how out of touch with modern football he was. Be shocked if he ever manages at a decent level again. I don’t blame Molesley for last season, Ron should’ve insisted he brought someone experienced with him. Plus of course the embargo crippled him. All these ideas which seemed good at the time, looking back were bloody crazy given our situation.

Our due diligence on new signings has also been awful for years. But our reputation didn’t help, we were left with the scraps quite often.

Last edited:

It was the game that sealed relegation to the Conference. Maybe not mathematically but the one that left us requiring snookers. Not only that but it was to our local rivals, who btw are a truly abysmal team (see how they continue to struggle). It was one in which players looked lost, there was no energy or fight in what was perhaps the biggest match in the club’s history. Harrogate was ugly but they were on a high and we were undercooked after covid. There were no such excuses for the Col Ewe debacle. There will be bad performances from time to time but in a game of such importance it was unforgivable to see players wandering around so lost, not knowing their roles.

The truth is Brown was dialling it in. He couldn’t even be bothered to watch film of the opposition for the biggest match in our club’s history. He’s an absolute joke. And even after two months he couldn’t come up with a decent excuse.

I will be eternally grateful to Stan for ridding us of that fraud.

It was the game that sealed relegation to the Conference. Maybe not mathematically but the one that left us requiring snookers. Not only that but it was to our local rivals, who btw are a truly abysmal team (see how they continue to struggle). It was one in which players looked lost, there was no energy or fight in what was perhaps the biggest match in the club’s history. Harrogate was ugly but they were on a high and we were undercooked after covid. There were no such excuses for the Col Ewe debacle. There will be bad performances from time to time but in a game of such importance it was unforgivable to see players wandering around so lost, not knowing their roles.

The truth is Brown was dialling it in. He couldn’t even be bothered to watch film of the opposition for the biggest match in our club’s history. He’s an absolute joke. And even after two months he couldn’t come up with a decent excuse.

I will be eternally grateful to Stan for ridding us of that fraud.

You have never forgiven PB for embarrassing you first time around......Let it go Yorkshire we have a CP type honeymoon few months ahead and a transfer budget to target other clubs best players rather than their released list.

Lets enjoy it will it lasts...It wont be long before I'm defending KM or a couple of his signings.

FACT, the finances behind the 2 new signings, are being funded from the funds of a new sponsor, brought in by Tom Lawrence! Which I’m sure the sponsor will be announced very soon!
I thought this appeared to be the case.

Something we need to be doing more, taking full advantage of our sponsorship potential considering we regularly draw 5-6k fans a week plus big followings on social networking platforms.

You have never forgiven PB for embarrassing you first time around......Let it go Yorkshire we have a CP type honeymoon few months ahead and a transfer budget to target other clubs best players rather than their released list.

Lets enjoy it will it lasts...It wont be long before I'm defending KM or a couple of his signings.
I dont know anything about Yorkie being embarrassed but PB was a useless sap.

Back