• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
My football club has changed, and I feel sort of empty today. For decades I supported Southend, and people would say "Who?" or "Southampton...?" or (most painfully) "Why???". And I dreamed of the day when I could casually mention my slightly strange affiliation, and people would nod, and look impressed, and discuss our latest triumph knowledgeably with me. And I knew it would never happen. When we lost to Aylesbury in the cup, Kingstonian in the cup, when we had barely over a thousand watching a league match at Roots Hall - it hurt, it hurt badly. But it was our lot in life. Even when the false dawn of our first daliance with Division Two came, and we did have some triumphs and excitement (beating West Ham, anyone?) we were just playing at the big time, with home crowds of Colchesteresque numbers.

Then Steve Tilson was made manager and something was different - but what? I still don't exactly know. But different indeed. Supporting my team was exciting, meaningful. Suddenly we were special, and I loved it, I bloody loved it. Avoiding relegation to the Conference? No problem. Missing out on promotion on the last day of the season? Don't worry, we'll just win the play-offs then, on our third trip to Cardiff in 18 months. Survive in League One? We'll do a bit better than that, just watch. And the fans turned up in their thousands, because suddenly everyone could see we were a little bit special, our fan of a manager was special, our fans were special.

Then the Championship, and the bubble burst - only it didn't, really. Yes, we went back down again, but with our heads high, Manchester United's scalp dangling from our belt, knowing that we had only been beaten by Spurs by an offside goal, with Tilly and Brush clutching extended contracts, and our fans kept coming. Now when I said "Southend" people knew! Even when the success just eluded us, people were praising us - the support at Donnie had other fans open-mouthed, and I still get goose bumps when I watch the Chelsea videos and hear "Yelllloooows, yellloooows" followed by that incredible roar as Clarkey powered the ball home. Money just can't buy those feelings. And we were still a family club, our manager one of us, and one of the longest serving in the Leagues. Anything was possible.

And now, today, that seems already a fading memory. We have rejoined the ranks of ordinary clubs. We have sacked, in a shameful, backdoor way, just like ordinary clubs do, the best manager we have ever had. We have brought in a journeyman manager, albeit a talented one, to whom our club is just another job, who will be off at the sniff of a better prospect. We may prosper under him, or we may not, only time will tell. He may bring in good players, or they may flop - but I doubt if many of them will ever attain the legendary status of Bentley, or Jupp, or Eastwood, or Barratt, or Maher, or Goater, or even Che Wilson, Macca, Tes "The Cat" Bramble, Drew Broughton. It truly is the end of the most wonderful time to be a Shrimper.

And it hurts, but today I have a feeling that we're not special anymore.

I completely agree with every single word. I'll support Paul Sturrock because he's now Southend United's manager. But it's just a job for him. With Tilly it was so much more. He's one of our own. He loved the Club like we loved the Club. He didn't get everything right but none of us do. But I can honestly say that there's not a single manager in the World who I'd prefer to have in that job.

Yesterday was the end of an era and whilst we'll all move onwards, and hopefully upwards, from here nothing will ever be the same from this point on. It's been an amazing few years and they are years that I'll never forget.

I only got to speak to Steve in person once. It was in Reflex after we beat Sunderland in the Championship. I shook his hand and just said "Thank you, Steve. Thanks for today". I hope one day to get the chance to speak to him again to thank him for all the other days as well. And I think one day I'll get that chance. Because I remember the last time he was disgracefully booted out of the Club that he'd served so well. Whilst he was at Canvey I'd often see him in the East Blacks at Roots Hall. Those aren't comp seats so I can only presume that he had paid for his own tickets to see his old team play. And I'm sure we'll see him around Roots Hall in the months and years to come. Once again, just as one of us.

Totally agree .

Steve tilson was and is one of us, the only difference is he got to live out our dreams and play/ captain and manage the club.

The Ron martins of this world are plentiful but the Tillys are very few and far between

I will support sturrock until he is sacked or does well and scarpers, but he will never get the same support as Tilly got from me.

I seem to be saying it a lot today but you sir can have this!

graypost.preview.jpg

Awesome post...I refuse to step into Roots Hall until Martin has gone.... say what you want but he doesnt deserve us as fans... Gives me time to get that handicap down....One day I will return...

SammyBoy... what an earth is that coming out of that cats A R S E???

My football club has changed, and I feel sort of empty today. For decades I supported Southend, and people would say "Who?" or "Southampton...?" or (most painfully) "Why???". And I dreamed of the day when I could casually mention my slightly strange affiliation, and people would nod, and look impressed, and discuss our latest triumph knowledgeably with me. And I knew it would never happen. When we lost to Aylesbury in the cup, Kingstonian in the cup, when we had barely over a thousand watching a league match at Roots Hall - it hurt, it hurt badly. But it was our lot in life. Even when the false dawn of our first daliance with Division Two came, and we did have some triumphs and excitement (beating West Ham, anyone?) we were just playing at the big time, with home crowds of Colchesteresque numbers.

Then Steve Tilson was made manager and something was different - but what? I still don't exactly know. But different indeed. Supporting my team was exciting, meaningful. Suddenly we were special, and I loved it, I bloody loved it. Avoiding relegation to the Conference? No problem. Missing out on promotion on the last day of the season? Don't worry, we'll just win the play-offs then, on our third trip to Cardiff in 18 months. Survive in League One? We'll do a bit better than that, just watch. And the fans turned up in their thousands, because suddenly everyone could see we were a little bit special, our fan of a manager was special, our fans were special.

Then the Championship, and the bubble burst - only it didn't, really. Yes, we went back down again, but with our heads high, Manchester United's scalp dangling from our belt, knowing that we had only been beaten by Spurs by an offside goal, with Tilly and Brush clutching extended contracts, and our fans kept coming. Now when I said "Southend" people knew! Even when the success just eluded us, people were praising us - the support at Donnie had other fans open-mouthed, and I still get goose bumps when I watch the Chelsea videos and hear "Yelllloooows, yellloooows" followed by that incredible roar as Clarkey powered the ball home. Money just can't buy those feelings. And we were still a family club, our manager one of us, and one of the longest serving in the Leagues. Anything was possible.

And now, today, that seems already a fading memory. We have rejoined the ranks of ordinary clubs. We have sacked, in a shameful, backdoor way, just like ordinary clubs do, the best manager we have ever had. We have brought in a journeyman manager, albeit a talented one, to whom our club is just another job, who will be off at the sniff of a better prospect. We may prosper under him, or we may not, only time will tell. He may bring in good players, or they may flop - but I doubt if many of them will ever attain the legendary status of Bentley, or Jupp, or Eastwood, or Barratt, or Maher, or Goater, or even Che Wilson, Macca, Tes "The Cat" Bramble, Drew Broughton. It truly is the end of the most wonderful time to be a Shrimper.

And it hurts, but today I have a feeling that we're not special anymore.

Brought a lump to my throat, Tom. Bravo. Exactly what I feel and 110% spot on.

Absolutely spot-on. Tilson made mistakes but who doesn't? Regardless, he was a large part of the magnificent success we have experienced in recent times and, one thing's for sure, he doesn't deserve two relegations on his CV. It's always great to have a manager who feels such a strong affiliation to his club and, whilst not the most outwardly emotional of individuals, you can't deny his passion for Southend United FC.

I will support Sturrock and Widders wholeheartedly as they represent our football club, but I fear the anger and digust over the way Tilson has been treated by our Chairman will remain with me for a long while...

Agree 100% with A Century United and made me feel really poignant and sad.

Tilly has made mistakes (and I have criticised him for these) and also made good decisions (and I have praised him for these)- but what manager doesn't??

Whatever the future brings to Southend there are two things that Tilly will always have that RM (despite all his money and huge house) never will:

Class and Integrity

Thank you Tilly and good luck wherever you are next.

To A Century United - sincere thanks for this post!!

I'll keep supporting my team, but something will continue to nag me that it's not the same.

Yep, very sincere thanks for some great times Tilly.

The Club is richer for your presence if not now in cash.

Martin cannot take away the memories you gave us, the wonerful anti Col Ewe singing after the Bristol City game just one, and so many other highlights too.

Rowley was (briefly) an old school faded legend, Smithy was a true gent, Webby an inspiration, and dare I say it Fry for a few brief moments a infectious enthusiast, but of all the managers who have brought success to Southend in the last 40 years you have been the one to give us the honest sustained hope that one day we will truely achieve as a Club.

When Martin is gone he will be thought of like Johnston and Jobson, with one and all thanking god they will never return.

With you we will look forward to your future visits an applaud you.

Cheers

Excellent post Tom. Totally agree. Hope Tilly sees it, alongside all the tributes on the group on Facebook (see my sig). Not sure how hot he is on the ol interweb lark but maybe someone can pass on to him...

Agreed.

Im willing to give sturrock my full backing as there is nothing we can do to change it but Steve Tilson was one in a million. He was one of your own, he seemed to care about the club like I care about the club. He made me feel like southend were suddenly a big club once again. I was so proud to have a Southend man at the helm.

Hearing Sturrock bleat on in Scottish about what a big club Sheff Wed are just made me realise that to him SUFC is just another club where as I always felt to Tilly it was his club.

Thanks Tilly, you made my dream come true even if it wasn't Wembley. Infact Cardiff was better. I took my 80 yearold Dad to see his beloved Blues (and mine) in a National Cup Final. Wot a great weekend. The owner cant take away that memoire.

I have to say wot great post's there are on here,nice one all.

I wonder if the council would name a road somewhere in the Bourough Steve Tilson Way after all he has acheieved as a Player , Coach and Manager of Southend United ?

Good luck in your future Tilly, Thanks for everything.

Back