• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp in a Kilt

to everyone who came up and introduced themselves to me and the kids before, during and after the match. I met Rich (GlasgowSUFC) and his dad, Firestorm and his missus, Napster and Hong Kong Blue, IGUN and OS, Exiled Essex Shrimper (I think that was the SZ name - it was nice to speak to you anyway) and Simon from Yorkshire Blues (who have their own polo tops with "Yorkshire Blues" on - come on Scottish Shrimpers there must be enough of us to form our own clique!) who remembered my Liteace from the first LDV final when he taunted me with cans of beer from his van while we queued to leave Swansea. He came up and stuck his hand in the window while we were again queueing to leave Grimsby, and as it was while all the trouble was kicking off up and down the road I was a little worried for a minute.... It was great to meet you all, and thanks for taking the time to chat to me. I also had to text West Country Shrimper the bad news for the second successive match - sorry Hils! Would love to have met more of you (looked for but didn't see Seth and Katecat).

The kids had a great day and realy enjoyed themselves. My son's friend Derek, who has no connection with Southend but that, didn't stop singing and chanting for the whole game. His verdict was 1. Great fans. 2. Exciting game. 3. Thought we played very well over all and on another day would have had a pen/scored. Nervous, but certainly didn't bottle it. 4. Grimsby fans ruined it at the end. I agree with all that.

There has been a lot of talk on here about "making your own luck, and luck not being a factor. I can't agree. Football is an exciting game precisely because luck plays such a large part. Compare with Rugby where luck is much less of a factor, and there is hardly ever a giant killing. On the Bury board the Swansea fans (Dai Hard - I like it
laugh.gif
) admitted that the had had the "rub of the green" and that Bury probably should have won. The Bury fans, just like us, are complaining that the team was intimidated by fans on the pitch. They are also adamant that they should have had a penalty near the end, and the Ref wouldn't give it for fear of a riot. We have had luck in some games and not in others. So what, we can change nothing of what has happened only what is yet to come.

Day improved somewhat on the way home when I had a text read out on 606 - Sorry pessismists and doom-sayers, I pointed out that taking Southend to two LDV finals and the playoffs in only a season and a half as a manager was brilliant. Slightly less impressed with the geographical knowledge displayed when the lady reading the texts suggested that driving back to Scotland from Grimsby was easier for me than "The long trip to Southend" - got home at 08:45 this morning.

suspect.gif
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 08 2005,20:22)]Simon from Yorkshire Blues
Top bloke, Simon! Always has a lot of time to speak to everyone else, whether he knew them or not, and a hysterical person to be with ...

WS

I'm really glad I finally got to meet you as well Tom (& your clan too obviously)!!!

I have to agree with everything you said up above & apologies I didn't come & say goodbye before you headed off - I saw you all on the pitch, I was too gutted for words & didn't even go on their myself. I still am to be honest, so this is going to be a short post.

I like the bit about getting a Scottish Shrimpers going, well you know I'll have another one to add to our list come September.

What I want to know is, who owns the other Liteace that I spotted on the M180, a member of the Yorkshire Blues perhaps if they were heading into Grimsby from that way.....???

I'm glad you got home safely too & hope to meet again, this time in rather more celebratory circumstances!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 08 2005,19:46)]I'm really glad I finally got to meet you as well Tom (& your clan too obviously)!!!

I have to agree with everything you said up above & apologies I didn't come & say goodbye before you headed off - I saw you all on the pitch, I was too gutted for words & didn't even go on their myself.  I still am to be honest, so this is going to be a short post.

I like the bit about getting a Scottish Shrimpers going, well you know I'll have another one to add to our list come September.

What I want to know is, who owns the other Liteace that I spotted on the M180, a member of the Yorkshire Blues perhaps if they were heading into Grimsby from that way.....???

I'm glad you got home safely too & hope to meet again, this time in rather more celebratory circumstances!
Might see you at Cardiff?

tounge.gif

Them yorkshire blues, it was a credit to be standing next to them, i dont know them personally like others but from the 1st minute to the 90th they sung there hearts out, also got almost the whole away standing to STAND UP IF YOU LOVE SOUTHEND..ETC the yorkshire blues song got my nerves a bit though as it was being sung every bloody minute
biggrin.gif

I have known Simon from YB for a few seasons now and I dont know of anyone who is more passionate from the Blues.

He sings his "Yorkshire Blues" song get the Essex boys going.

Shame it didnt really work saturday judging by th amount of miserable bastards around him.He even walked the eats at h/t trying to get the crowd going.

Top man - Southend through and through. Pleasure to know him.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 08 2005,20:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 08 2005,19:46)]I'm really glad I finally got to meet you as well Tom (& your clan too obviously)!!!

I have to agree with everything you said up above & apologies I didn't come & say goodbye before you headed off - I saw you all on the pitch, I was too gutted for words & didn't even go on their myself. I still am to be honest, so this is going to be a short post.

Might see you at Cardiff?

tounge.gif
I'll let you know evening of Sat 21 May
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ May 09 2005,14:22)]I have known Simon from YB for a few seasons now and I dont know of anyone who is more passionate from the Blues.

He sings his "Yorkshire Blues" song  get the Essex boys going.

Shame it didnt really work saturday judging by th amount of miserable bastards around him.He even walked the eats at h/t trying to get the crowd going.

Top man - Southend through and through. Pleasure to know him.

DtS
Have to agree mate, Simon and the rest of the Yorkie Blues are all top lads.

We've had some good days out with them haven't we. Darlo away a few years ago
wink.gif

I've only met him twice, and only once to speak to, but he certainly seems a very nice, passionate bloke. It cheered me up a bit that he took the trouble to come over and say hello on the basis that I and the kids had had a brief "conversation" by sign language at LDV 1 thirteen months ago. Does he or any of the Yorkshire Blues use Shrimperzone?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 08 2005,19:22)](looked for but didn't see Seth and Katecat).
You wouldn't have had to have looked very far!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 08 2005,19:22)](looked for but didn't see Seth and Katecat).
I was looking for you as well before the game. After kickoff, however, I was far too nervous to take my eyes off of the pitch.

If you were going off of my picture on SZ from my overseas shrimper profile I'm not surprised you didn't see me, I basically had all my hair cut off on friday, so the halfro was no longer around.

Maybe we can meet up for a pint later this summer though. My friends and I are planning a trip up to Scotland after our exams are over (we'll probably go to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness) so hopefully I'll still be able to meet both you and Richard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 09 2005,21:33)]
[b said:
You wouldn't have had to have looked very far!
Aaaargh! Not again! Don't tell me you are deliberately staying incognito, Katecat... I'm quite polite to people if they come up and say hello you know, even if I am wearing a "scary camo jacket".

oops.gif
smile.gif
upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chaco27saf @ May 09 2005,21:52)]
[b said:
I was looking for you as well before the game.  After kickoff, however, I was far too nervous to take my eyes off of the pitch.

If you were going off of my picture on SZ from my overseas shrimper profile I'm not surprised you didn't see me, I basically had all my hair cut off on friday, so the halfro was no longer around.

Maybe we can meet up for a pint later this summer though.  My friends and I are planning a trip up to Scotland after our exams are over (we'll probably go to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness) so hopefully I'll still be able to meet both you and Richard.
Yes, same here Seth. Once the game had started I only had eyes for the pitch. If you do make it up to Inverness PM me and we'll see if we can all meet up.

Hair cut on Friday? That is Sooooo unlucky!
ghostface.gif

No wonder we didn't get promoted.

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chaco27saf @ May 09 2005,21:52)]Maybe we can meet up for a pint later this summer though. My friends and I are planning a trip up to Scotland after our exams are over (we'll probably go to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness) so hopefully I'll still be able to meet both you and Richard.
Hi Seth, sorry we never got to meet at the weekend either.
As SiaK says, PM me if you do come up here at any point before you head back to the US!
Cheers,
Richard

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 10 2005,09:25)]Aaaargh! Not again! Don't tell me you are deliberately staying incognito, Katecat
Not exactly, I'm just not entirely sure how to approach complete strangers and say hello without looking like a weirdo
oops.gif
Anyway, the time was never quite right, if I'd seen you in the pub or we'd won then maybe I would have been braver.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Katecat @ May 10 2005,15:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 10 2005,09:25)]Aaaargh! Not again! Don't tell me you are deliberately staying incognito, Katecat
Not exactly, I'm just not entirely sure how to approach complete strangers and say hello without looking like a weirdo
oops.gif
Anyway, the time was never quite right, if I'd seen you in the pub or we'd won then maybe I would have been braver.

smile.gif
Something on the lines of "Shrimp in a Kilt? Are these your kids? Blimey! Never mind."
cool.gif
laugh.gif

Ah well, maybe see you at Cardiff? (Though I swore I'd never go back - anyway, we prob won't get there!)

if we all keep meeting up at away games how on Earth are we supposed to keep the 'Clique' going? I don't know, some people........................

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Is that the "Shrimp in a Kilt" that I used to walk down from no.24, knock on no.10 and drag along to the North Bank along with Dill, Carrsie and other old reprobates?
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JIMSDAD @ May 10 2005,15:39)]Is that the "Shrimp in a Kilt" that I used to walk down from no.24, knock on no.10 and drag along to the North Bank along with Dill, Carrsie and other old reprobates?
suspect.gif
Hi Mike, nice to hear from you! Were you at Grimsby? How are you keeping?

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ May 10 2005,15:30)]if we all keep meeting up at away games how on Earth are we supposed to keep the 'Clique' going? I don't know, some people........................

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Can rather spoil the illusions that hiding behind a keyboard often creates..
biggrin.gif

How about the "We always and only meet at away games" clique?

Back