• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's why Freddy Eastwood's nickname is the legend!

For me Freddy coming back, is the same type of thing as 'never meeting your heroes' and all that.

It's not what you think it's going to be, and maybe that has sullied the legend status he left with the first time round.

What has ruined it for me isn't Freddy, it is the fans who cannot get passed the fact he isn't what he used to be. It's bloody irritating to hear, especially when Straker often gets slated by the same fans for putting in better performances.

People need to realise talent and ability doesn't last as long as legend... And one back post 3 yard tap in doesn't change that for me

I don't understand how anyone can say that Freddy is not a Southend legend but opinions vary I suppose. To score 60 odd goals in three seasons, in three different divisions including back to back promotions and a worldy to beat Man Utd....... What else can anyone at our level do to gain legend status. Yes, he's been pretty pony at times since coming back but some peoples' expectations need a reality check if they think he's gonna be anything other than an impact sub from now on. However, I'd still rather him here than not and a few more late goals from him between now and the end of season will certainly keep him his legend status for me!

I will always hold him in high regard for his first spell and what he achieved while with us but I wouldn't see him as a legend whether he returned for the second spell or not. The period after the Manure just puts me off the legend status. He clearly went off the boil and thought he just had to turn up to get his big move at the end of the season. Legend status should be saved for someone who always gave 100% and in my minds eye, after the Manure game he didn't.

I'd give Tilly legend status over Freddy, not for his managerial reign but his playing career. I'd give Collymore legend status for keeping us in Division One and his attitude whilst here. Benji can have Legend status for the Bury goal.

I still dont buy this post Man Utd stuff.

He still scored goals in a terrible team and personally I think people knew he would be leaving and then their own perception of him changed. He was always laid back and they translated that into not wanting to be here after Man Utd, when it was just how he was.

Ive been going to Southend since 1980 on and off (some big offs!) and Eastwood is the stand out player in that time for me. Collymore was obviously a great player, and better than Eastwood, but for me the goals Eastwood scored, and the fact he did it over 3 seasons makes him the most memorable played Ive seen over the years.

If as 5th top scorer he cant be classed as a Legend Im not really sure who can, especially when Benjamin can be for one goal. Eastwood's goals got us two promotions and a win over Man Utd. Surely that's enough.

He still scored goals in a terrible team and personally I think people knew he would be leaving and then their own perception of him changed. He was always laid back and they translated that into not wanting to be here after Man Utd, when it was just how he was.

Ive been going to Southend since 1980 on and off (some big offs!) and Eastwood is the stand out player in that time for me. Collymore was obviously a great player, and better than Eastwood, but for me the goals Eastwood scored, and the fact he did it over 3 seasons makes him the most memorable played Ive seen over the years.

If as 5th top scorer he cant be classed as a Legend Im not really sure who can, especially when Benjamin can be for one goal. Eastwood's goals got us two promotions and a win over Man Utd. Surely that's enough.

This I agree with. Magic debut wasn't it.

Look at that first goal on his debut against Swansea, seriously how many strikers so soon after the kick off would have been there so close to goal to convert that centre,in league 2 i venture to say 99% would only have reached the 20 yard line, it was sheer instinct that had freddy in position for that centre,cannot be taught ,you either have it or you dont.Yes hes a legend ,how many other strikers have scored a hattrick on debut for SUFC too.

It is because it is absolute nonsense. Yet another example of scapegoating. Second half of that season Eastwood, Gower and (arguably) McCormack were the only players in the squad who didn't look completely out of their depth and yet somehow Eastwood's attitude was the reason why we were shipping three goals a game.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again now - considering how pathetic we played at times that year it is a miracle that Eastwood put in the effort that he did.

It is because it is absolute nonsense. Yet another example of scapegoating. Second half of that season Eastwood, Gower and (arguably) McCormack were the only players in the squad who didn't look completely out of their depth and yet somehow Eastwood's attitude was the reason why we were shipping three goals a game.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again now - considering how pathetic we played at times that year it is a miracle that Eastwood put in the effort that he did.

I still remember how gutted he looked during certain games in that last month when we lost.

As you say, easy to say he wanted out so didnt care, certainly didnt look like that to me.

Even now when he is on the fringes of a league two squad and very close to hanging up his boots he is absolutely delighted when he scores for us. His reaction after the last two goals he has scored in front of the Family Enclosure have been priceless.

Freddy will always be a Southend legend in my eyes. That goal after 7.7 seconds on his debut, that hattrick on his debut, that goal and assist for Juppy to secure promotion in Cardiff, 7 goals in 7 consecutive games, that goal away to Swansea to secure promotion from League One, that goal against Fergie's lot up north and not to mention being 5th in the club's all time leading scorers. Local lad who was once in our own youth set up, from a non privileged background who ended up turning into one of our biggest success stories. Two successive promotions and part of one of the most successful teams we've probably ever had.

He may not be the same player he once was, but I still love the fact he's back home at Roots Hall where he belongs and I can't help but cheer that little bit more when Freddy scores. For me, he's a legend in every sense of the word.

Look at that first goal on his debut against Swansea, seriously how many strikers so soon after the kick off would have been there so close to goal to convert that centre,in league 2 i venture to say 99% would only have reached the 20 yard line, it was sheer instinct that had freddy in position for that centre,cannot be taught ,you either have it or you dont.Yes hes a legend ,how many other strikers have scored a hattrick on debut for SUFC too.

Only one in my time(since 1955) and he scored 4 .Against the team he'd just left!Richard Cadette v Orient 1985-6.

The thing is people write him off but he still possesses the art of scoring. Against Torquay there was a handball, the cross passed four inept defenders and Eastwood admits he doesn't remember much about the goal. But he scored it. His positioning put him in the right place and his instincts did the rest. Instinctive strikers are few and far between.

To put things into perspective and use boxing as an analogy, can anybody say that Muhammad Ali was less of a great fighter because of his last career fights against Trevor Berbick and Larry Holmes? Legends are cemented long before the end of careers and for what Freddy achieved here in his first spell, he is and will always be for me 100% a Southend legend.

To put things into perspective and use boxing as an analogy, can anybody say that Muhammad Ali was less of a great fighter because of his last career fights against Trevor Berbick and Larry Holmes? Legends are cemented long before the end of careers and for what Freddy achieved here in his first spell, he is and will always be for me 100% a Southend legend.

This....why can people not understand that Eastwood being a Southend legend and Eastwood being a good/poor player currently are 2 completely subjects.

Eastwood is a SUFC Legend. Even if he isnt the same player, he still got the winner on Saturday, and just ,look at the reaction in Roots hall when he did..that says it all really..Legend

Eastwood is a SUFC Legend. Even if he isnt the same player, he still got the winner on Saturday, and just ,look at the reaction in Roots hall when he did..that says it all really..Legend

If the tea lady had scored, she would still have got that reaction.

A few names to consider
stan collymore
david crown
brett angell
chris powell
steve tilson
billy best
dave cusack
mervyn cawsten
paul sansome
alan moody
spencer prior
anton otwaloski (Never could spell it right)
keith mercer
ian benjamin
peter taylor
ricky otto
richard cadette
spencer prior
Derek spence

Appologies to those I missed

A special mention to Roy 'I was in her knickers in five minutes' Mcdonough

And Pat Scully who was very grateful for me giving his parents a lift to Bath for a Bristol Rovers game when there was no other option

All these players have given me joy during my time supporting the Blues.
To me all have memories that make them legends as well in my eyes

Last edited:
A few names to consider
....peter sansome

I think you might mean Paul Sansome! :winking:

A few names to consider
stan collymore
david crown
brett angell
chris powell
steve tilson
billy best
dave cusack
mervyn cawsten
paul sansome
alan moody
spencer prior
anton otwaloski (Never could spell it right)
keith mercer
ian benjamin
peter taylor
ricky otto
richard cadette
spencer prior
Derek spence

Appologies to those I missed

A special mention to Roy 'I was in her knickers in five minutes' Mcdonough

And Pat Scully who was very grateful for me giving his parents a lift to Bath for a Bristol Rovers game when there was no other option

There are some super memories in that list. I wonder if it would simplify things by people desisting from the term 'legend' and we created a Hall of Fame that can include so many. Also, it might be nice, if fans voted say once every five years and chose an ex-player to become an Honorary Blue. Could even hand out a certificate and whatever at a fund raising dinner.

Back