• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's why Freddy Eastwood's nickname is the legend!

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown revealed after Saturday’s narrow win against Torquay that match-winner Freddy Eastwood is often nicknamed the legend by his team-mates.

More...

A Legend in his own lunch box maybe, but not one of my Legends, I'm afraid. I think he is vastly overrated by some of our fans.

In 2003/2004 we were fighting relegation. In 2004/2005 with Feddy's goals, we got out of League 2. The following year we won League 1, at the first attempt, mainly thanks to Freddy's goals. The in 2006, his goal against Man Utd knocked out the Carling Cup holders, and remains the greatest goal ever scored in the history of the world bar none.

Oh, he is a legend alright.

How anyone can not think Freddy is a legend is totally beyond me. Hat-trick on his debut against Swansea, with that first goal in under 10 seconds, Cardiff and promotion with his own goal and setting up THAT goal for Juppy, let alone Man United! That's without the overall performances across the seasons.

Agree. Eastwood will always be a legend in my eyes. The fact that he has broken into the Top 5 all time goal scorers is also surely all the proof anyone needs?!

How anyone can not think Freddy is a legend is totally beyond me. Hat-trick on his debut against Swansea, with that first goal in under 10 seconds, Cardiff and promotion with his own goal and setting up THAT goal for Juppy, let alone Man United! That's without the overall performances across the seasons.
I would say he is a legend in what he has done in the past for us but needs to do a lot more around this time with us, who knows he might get us a few goals yet this season and shoot us to league one, but right now he would not make my starting eleven, to many in front of him that work harder for the team for me at this important part of the season.

Have to say that Fred has been going through a tough time recently, and I am one of those who thinks that he will finish this year.... but he is definitely a Southend United Legend.

I still have a photo of me and him that was taken at Nando's many moons ago on my office wall!

I love the man to bits but.... legend?? Players like Billy Best, Roy Hollis, Sam McCrory, Bill Garner, they were legends.. great servants, prolific goalscorers, massive crowd pleasers. Fred has done some excellent things but falls short of legend status IMHO.

I love the man to bits but.... legend?? Players like Billy Best, Roy Hollis, Sam McCrory, Bill Garner, they were legends.. great servants, prolific goalscorers, massive crowd pleasers. Fred has done some excellent things but falls short of legend status IMHO.

You could add Dave Robinson, Harry Threadgold, Sandy Anderson, Sid Broomfield etc etc to your list.

Trouble is I would say the majority of our current fans have never seen the players you mention actually play, me included. I have only been going for thirty three years. Are us newer fans not allowed to have legends ?

Last edited:
You could add Dave Robinson, Harry Threadgold, Sandy Anderson etc etc to your list.

Trouble is I would say the majority of our current fans have never seen the players you mention actually play, me included I have only been going thirty years. Are us newer fans not allowed to have legends ?
I saw Best and Garner, I think Freddy is every bit as much of a legend....massive crowd pleaser and prolific goalscorer! Are we saying Stan isn't a legend because he wasn't a great "servant" as he was only here for a short while?

What both Freddy and Stan achieved in their short spells with Southend is enough to class them both as legends as far as I'm concerned, longevity shouldn't come into it.

I saw Best and Garner, I think Freddy is every bit as much of a legend....massive crowd pleaser and prolific goalscorer! Are we saying Stan isn't a legend because he wasn't a great "servant" as he was only here for a short while?

What both Freddy and Stan achieved in their short spells with Southend is enough to class them both as legends as far as I'm concerned, longevity shouldn't come into it.

Yep Stan is one of my legends and only played 33 games for us!
Mind you I can understand if Stan is not a legend in some peoples eyes more than I can Freddy.

Back