• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TMWLT

Banned
It strikes me that there is a lot of people posting on here with far to much time on their hands. Which got me thinking about the 4 stages of supporting Southend.

1. Young child, when your about 8 the players of Southend are your all time favourites and seem to a small boy, about 8 foot tall, and completely unapproachable, especially if you want an autograph.

2. Teenager/Youth, You want to prove yourself as the loyalist of all fans, going to all the games home and away, all the friendlies,normally you don’t have a girlfriend, everything the club does, is correct, even it announced that it was killing small children, as long as its “SOUTHEND UTD” well that’s just fine. You belittle anyone who may suggest a story that is breaking, or suggest that one of your favourite southend players is going to leave. How dare they, what leave southend its not possible. And then some
m..gy ct demands you name your sources!!!! Well I be blowed, having to answer to a 16 year old!!! You know what they can do,… f right off!!

I came back on the supporters coach from scarborough in the fa cup, and had the misfortune of sitting with the above specimens!! A smile passed over my lips listening to their rubbish, I suppose I was like that once. But you do snap out of it, theres nothing worse than a 16 to 22 year old man, rushing upto a player demanding an autograph, or breaking out into hot tears if they don’t get one.

3.A man, this is when you mix with former players and managers, and become friends with them and their families and their agents, and you talk about everything, and they tell you whats happening, to them, and clubs that come in for them, or who they have been in talks with, a much more enjoyable phase to be going through, once a year big games, a jolly boys outing, with a big firm on board

4. Old Man/OAP- You cannot remember anything, and you prefix everything with
“it wasn’t like that in my days”

Think we all been at stage 2 sum time, grown out of that stage and know firmly in number 3, a jolly boys outing always good days, coach to derby last year was a laugh, look forward to more this season.

It strikes me that there is a lot of people posting on here with far to much time on their hands. Which got me thinking about the 4 stages of supporting Southend.

1. Young child, when your about 8 the players of Southend are your all time favourites and seem to a small boy, about 8 foot tall, and completely unapproachable, especially if you want an autograph.

2. Teenager/Youth, You want to prove yourself as the loyalist of all fans, going to all the games home and away, all the friendlies,normally you don’t have a girlfriend, everything the club does, is correct, even it announced that it was killing small children, as long as its “SOUTHEND UTD” well that’s just fine. You belittle anyone who may suggest a story that is breaking, or suggest that one of your favourite southend players is going to leave. How dare they, what leave southend its not possible. And then some
m..gy ct demands you name your sources!!!! Well I be blowed, having to answer to a 16 year old!!! You know what they can do,… f right off!!

I came back on the supporters coach from scarborough in the fa cup, and had the misfortune of sitting with the above specimens!! A smile passed over my lips listening to their rubbish, I suppose I was like that once. But you do snap out of it, theres nothing worse than a 16 to 22 year old man, rushing upto a player demanding an autograph, or breaking out into hot tears if they don’t get one.

3.A man, this is when you mix with former players and managers, and become friends with them and their families and their agents, and you talk about everything, and they tell you whats happening, to them, and clubs that come in for them, or who they have been in talks with, a much more enjoyable phase to be going through, once a year big games, a jolly boys outing, with a big firm on board

I have never been part of any of these groups.

I would say im a casual shrimper, dont go to every game, even though I live close, its all down to having people to go with, and no one seems interested in going!

Good summary !!!!

BTW i think you must be approaching stage 4 now, dont you ???? :hilarious: :hilarious:

Yes Plans Are Afoot Cant Say More Than That At The Moment
Cos As You Know Everyones Looks On Here, Ask Around And You Will Get Afeel Of What We Are Planning Early Doors By Cho Cho
By The Sea Possibly But More Likely We Will Pick At Mad One That One Is Expecting Us To Turn Up At

Oh, let me guess what one you class yourself as?

Would it be stage 3 by any chance - despite all your posts screaming "it wasn't like that in my days"?

Personally I think if you are mixing with players, agents and managers then you haven't gone beyond the hero-worshipping stage, but then thanks to Judas Fry by the time I became a teen I was already an embittered cynic who'd realised the only ones in it for the love of the club was us fans.

I personally think he's in stage 4... lost his marbles a while back.

Great summary. I once won a raffle when Barry Fry first joined and won a signed football of our team and the Wimbledon team after we played them in a friendly, I was in the echo sitting on Frys lap, loved that ball.

I went to WBA away when Fry was in charge with my uncle. I must of been about 7, Fry came off the coach and dropped a load of free tickets on the floor for people, my uncle told me to get in there so I did and took 3 tickets :D Great days.

Great Stuff TMWLT, and very very true

Yes Plans Are Afoot Cant Say More Than That At The Moment
Cos As You Know Everyones Looks On Here, Ask Around And You Will Get Afeel Of What We Are Planning Early Doors By Cho Cho
By The Sea Possibly But More Likely We Will Pick At Mad One That One Is Expecting Us To Turn Up At

F*** me, and I thought Nostradamus died 450 years ago.

Taking that line-by-line, I would say that this predicts that Big Ron Atkinson is going to write a sequel to Puccini's opera Madama Butterfly. It will be set in Scarborough, with the lead character being played by, and a surprising choice at that, Pete from last years Big Brother.

F*** me, and I thought Nostradamus died 450 years ago.

Taking that line-by-line, I would say that this predicts that Big Ron Atkinson is going to write a sequel to Puccini's opera Madama Butterfly. It will be set in Scarborough, with the lead character being played by, and a surprising choice at that, Pete from last years Big Brother.

:hilarious: Obviously one of his more obscure & indecipherable quattrains.

Personally I've passed through three stages so far -

1 - A kid, stars in my eyes every time I went to Roots Hall and thought Southend players were some sort of breed of super human

2- Adolescent, no responsibilities and all spare money went on following the team. Long coach rides to god forsaken ends of the country on a Tuesday night just because I had to be there.

3 - (stage I'm at now) Adult, have other more important gown-up things in my life such as family and work but still love the club. Have a season ticket for home games but will miss occasional matches at Roots Hall for family and friends weddings, family holidays etc. Pick and choose away games due to working long hours during the week and prefer spending time with my child than travel for hours on a coach - but am still at the game in spirit come 3 o'clock on a Saturday.

Largely similar to TMWLT's stages, and I'm sure the old git stage will follow in a number of years time. Some slight differences though, namely that I've never really mixed socially with any players or people connected with the club (discounting my mate Westy who used to be groundsman) and so am not privy to any inside gossip or news. That's just fine by me, I think I'd rather keep some kind of 'aura' about the inner-workings of SUFC even though I'm realistic to know that in reality it is just a job of work for the players.

Back