• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BrettieAngell

THE ROCK GOD
Seeing Tony Grant playing for Vale yesterday got us talking about the 4 players that stayed behind after the mass exodus when we were relegated.

Obviously Grant was one, we came up with Johhny Herd and Matt Patterson aswell but couldn't think of the last one?

Was it someone like Harry Crawford or Scott Spencer? I can't think of anyone else that was left.

I was was also asking my dad if any of our current bunch played in the same team as Grant..

Seeing Tony Grant playing for Vale yesterday got us talking about the 4 players that stayed behind after the mass exodus when we were relegated.

I prefer to think of it as the mass exodus when we stopped paying the players.

Spencer and Crawford stayed. That makes five.

I prefer to think of it as the mass exodus when we stopped paying the players.

Spencer and Crawford stayed. That makes five.

I think you're right, it was 5. However, I seem to remember Sturrock's first and almost immediate signing being Chris Barker, a left back, which indicated perhaps he didn't see very much in Herd. Maybe in PS's mind there was only 4.

Ah right I was sure it was 4, cheers guys.

Spencer couldn't have stayed for long I don't remember him being involved much.

Barker wasn't signed until after the season had started. He originally came in on loan

Grant was probably the only one who made a conscious decision to stay. I doubt the other 4 had any choice!

Barker wasn't signed until after the season had started. He originally came in on loan

Correct. Peter Gilbert was first choice left back originally.

Mildenhall was still here when Sturrock came, released 13th July. Stuart O'Keefe was still here at that stage too, looking back through the threads at that time, we also had Christophe, Laurent and Moussa. Only Spencer, Crawford, Paterson, Herd and Grant featured at MTBD that year though.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?62103-MTBD-Pictures

Correct. Peter Gilbert was first choice left back originally.

Mildenhall was still here when Sturrock came, released 13th July. Stuart O'Keefe was still here at that stage too, looking back through the threads at that time, we also had Christophe, Laurent and Moussa. Only Spencer, Crawford, Paterson, Herd and Grant featured at MTBD that year though.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?62103-MTBD-Pictures

Perhaps it was Gilbert that was signed originally. I do remember feeling a bit sorry for Johnny Herd as we needed palyers in every position and a left back was brought straight in.

I think Miguel Commingues and Peter Gilbert both signed very early.

Bizarrely I was saying yesterday at the game when Granty came out he was one of very, very few who stayed at the club and have to say I still have a soft spot for him

I've always loved Grant as he was the only established first teamer who stayed after the exodus :loyalsupporter:. Good to see him still playing at a decent level with Port Vale. I'm also glad to see him have an average game yesterday, he seems to have lost the knack of getting those cheap free kicks thankfully.

Back