• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFCFANS

Coach
Anyone interested in the idea of having a 4th Stand Trust. An independant fans group to ensure if the 4th stand doesn't get built we the fans can build a stand in it's place. Nothing flash - something modest but better than a gaping hole.. Could organise fund raising events and finance raising events such as 'sell a brick with your name in it ect', raise independent sponsorship ect.. Any thoughts?

Of course if the 4th stand does get built the cash can go the youth teams way..

At the meeting with Tara Brady last Thursday he said it would cost as much for the 4th Stand ( I think the figure £20,000,000 was mentioned ) as the other 3 sides put together. Personally I don't think that is achievable in the slightest but I like your suggestion in principle.

Just out of interest, did TB say how RM and TB are hoping to get £20m to build it at any stage? How much are they hoping a hotel chain is going to put forward?

I don't think a fan's group set up to fund the final stand is feasible, but one to keep awareness on the issue and make sure that it doesn't somehow drop off of the Club's agenda would seem a very sensible option, IMO.

I thought the consortium were a group of wealthy individuals who were big Southend fans and wanted to help the club from the goodness of their hearts.....maybe they could chip in as a nice gesture....:winking:

I don't think a fan's group set up to fund the final stand is feasible, but one to keep awareness on the issue and make sure that it doesn't somehow drop off of the Club's agenda would seem a very sensible option, IMO.

A fan's group ? Step forward the Trust.

I wasn't suggesting we build the propsed 10m all singing all dancing stand - I'm suggesting that even an all standing terrace is better than a drafty hole!!

I wasn't suggesting we build the propsed 10m all singing all dancing stand - I'm suggesting that even an all standing terrace is better than a drafty hole!!

The other 3 sides will just have seating and the usual food outlets. The 4th stand will contain changing rooms and the police control room and, I believe, all the offices and have the hotel built into it. All things needed when the stadium is completed.

I thought the consortium were a group of wealthy individuals who were big Southend fans and wanted to help the club from the goodness of their hearts.....maybe they could chip in as a nice gesture....:winking:

Exactly... put your money where your mouth is! cos Ron is never gonna build the one part of the ground that is his responsibility

Great idea but it would never be allowed to happen for 1 big reason. The 4th stand is the cash generator to keep the club going once complete. The revenue stream would be huge and if you were/ are an investor, fan or not, I wouldn't leave it to albeit well meaning and loyal fans. Just too much money at stake.
Mind you what a story it would be for the fans of a club to build a ground for their beloved club and just hand it over:unsure: has this happened before?

Great idea but it would never be allowed to happen for 1 big reason. The 4th stand is the cash generator to keep the club going once complete. The revenue stream would be huge and if you were/ are an investor, fan or not, I wouldn't leave it to albeit well meaning and loyal fans. Just too much money at stake.
Mind you what a story it would be for the fans of a club to build a ground for their beloved club and just hand it over:unsure: has this happened before?

Pity they made the mistake of turning the freehold of the ground over to a crooked Chairman,isn't it?

Last edited:
How is the 4th stand going to make us loads of cash? I see the point with getting some corporate space - although if this seasons attendance at David Crowns corporate thingy is to go by we need to be up a division or two to get anything. However, I always thought that having a hotel was going to be part of the regular income - but if we expect a chain to wedge out a large part of £20m to build it, then they aren't gonna pay a large rent.

In which case I'm sure the police must be on their way to Morecambe (via Burton) this very minute.

Illegal was obviously a poor choice of word.

But League Clubs aren't allowed to include terracing in new stadia under the recommendations in the Taylor Report. That's right isn't it? :unsure:

Last edited:
Illegal was obviously a poor choice of word.

But League Clubs aren't allowed to include terracing in new stadia under the recommendations in the Taylor Report. That's right isn't it? :unsure:

That's exactly what I thought mate BUT I believe Morecambe's new ground the Globe Arena has terracing IIRC?

Morecambe were in the Conference when the ground was designed and approved. That could be the reason....?

Yes, the ground was called Roots Hall and the club was Southend United.

Back