• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Not sure what season it was but it was probably under Newman when Ron Martin announced that in order for the club to move foward we needed 8k through the gate every week and get back to championship football.

Now at the time we were bottom division had a conveyer belt of cack managers and the town couldnt give two watsits about southend united.

I have to be honest i thought we would never ever achieve that and i doubt even the most die hard fan at the time would have agreed that it was possible.

I have and always will love this football club , but i resigned myself that SUFC would always be a league two or at best a league 1 club.
I would just like to say to all the people who have only been coming since Tilly arrived that you have had it easy as previously the club had been a bit of a joke nationally and locally.

Ron martin had a dream a dream that southend united would play attractive football attract atleast 8k fans every week, and that our beloved club would receive backing for a new stadium from our notoriously unfriendly council.

That was just 5 seasons ago and he we are . We do get 8k through the gate and we do have a shiny new stadium to look foward to and we have played championship football (albiet briefly).

What Ron Martin has done for our club is nothing short of miraculous and if Ron was to say tomorrow that he wanted to be in the prem in 5 years i would be straight down the bookies to place a bet.

Ron Martin came to us a business man and like all of us has fell in love with our wonderful football club and we should all be proud to have a chairman like that at SUFC.

Former players as managers and a chairman who is quite simply a breath of fresh air at our club and in football in general.

Alot has been said about how the players have blown it this season and how we should sign this player for 350k etc , but we should be safe in the knowledge that we have never had it so good and that those in charge will never ever do anything to put the club at risk. Yes the management have signed some rubbish and paid over the odds , but they are still learning and still improving and have had and will continue to have the support of us the fans and more importantly the finances of Ron.

Lets stop player bashin Tilly bashing listening to stupid rumours and trust that Tilly Brushy and Ron Martin have deliverd at every opportunity and next year will be another remarkably exciting year for our club, a club that is viewed with envious eyes from the majority of league 1 and league 2.

How lucky are we?

Come on you blues

Last edited:
Top post Tommy ... though i believe the "8 through the gate" tag was first bandied about by Messers Jobson and Adams

At the time he also made mention of the fact we needed average crowds of 5,500 to break even which these days seems low, those days was a contender for highest crowd of the season. Blimey there was even 2k there this season for the Essex Senior Cup Final!

Yeah i know i remember playing preston on a tuesday night in about 97-98 and the crowd was 2200 odd in the league. The fact we now get that for the essex senior cup just shows how far we have come. Also rember the likes of 900 for the ldv early rounds and now we still get 3000+ for those games.

At the time he also made mention of the fact we needed average crowds of 5,500 to break even which these days seems low, those days was a contender for highest crowd of the season. Blimey there was even 2k there this season for the Essex Senior Cup Final!

I thought it was 6K to break even?

Anyway top post Tommy!

I remember the days when a 4k home attendance was considered to be a good turnout - and that was only four seasons ago!

How quickly things can change...

Perfectly put Tommy. Been trying to say all that myself on various posts over the past few months but never as well as you!

I'm up for an occasional visit to the Premiership ....... look at bloody Hull .... we could have sent them down last season

It takes an 'oldie' on here who saw most of his live football in the 'thrilling' sixties and seventies to see how far we have come in the last few years. For me the most important thing TBM have given to Southend is not just enjoyment and success but......EXPECTATION. How many of our newer fans would be prepared to go through season after awful season of what I saw. I pray that will never come to pass .....but now the genii is well and truly out of the bottle!

i thought it was about the players that are leaving or have left!

Yeah i know i remember playing preston on a tuesday night in about 97-98 and the crowd was 2200 odd in the league. The fact we now get that for the essex senior cup just shows how far we have come. Also rember the likes of 900 for the ldv early rounds and now we still get 3000+ for those games.

2200 blimey almost a sell out how about 1700 against rochdale in the late 80's

Top post Tommy ... though i believe the "8 through the gate" tag was first bandied about by Messers Jobson and Adams

I thought it was 6K to break even?

Probably "Four through the door!"

Excellent post though Tommy.

Ron Martin has been truly outstanding for us, but his work goes hand in hand with Steve Tilson's. Either one without the other would have achieved far less. Talk about the dream ticket... exactly the right people, at exactly the right time.

probably one of the best posts/threads on SZ for a long long time, I am in the over thirty crew and can easily go back twenty five years as a die hard blue, the tilson era is, in my memory the golden era of sufc, in terms of crowds, achievments and as mentioned expectations, at the beginning of the season I was expecting(not hoping) for us to get into the play offs at least, how many times in my twenty fives years of supporting have I thought that

Top post TTH (makes a change :stunned: )

Does help that the club are charging "realistic" prices at the gate...

Back