• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'll try and keep this thread moving in some kind of chronological order, there will be some repetition until I get into the "newer" clips.

Some stuff I've redone to improve the quality and fix previous issues when converting from VHS to a digital file.

So let's kick this off:

4th May 1991, a fine day in the clubs history as we reached Division Two (sic, Division One) (Sic, The Championship) for the first time.

So who did put the ball in the Bury net?

In October I will tell my grandson that I was there. It's the very first thing I am going to do when I meet him. (and you know I am not joking)

Nice footage at the end of Nat Jones doing that silly little feint he did every time he got the ball.

Ah that's who it was! I seem to recall it being called The Jones Shuffle at the time. Kind of just looks like a sped up version of the Harry Enfield 1930s football sketch. (Charles "Charlie" Charles)

Following on from the Wolves game in 93/94 we beat Watford at home, then it was a trip up to Filbert Street to face promotion rivals Leicester.

Thanks to Austin the Shrimper for uploading full season videos for 93/96 which will help me plug some holes...I was slow to grab the first goal here (I was 15 to be fair)

I think Gary Poole is still spinning around in circles somewhere... Speedie really "mugs him off"

I managed to find this going through Austin The Shrimpers 93/94 tape, the Anglo-Italian Cup, a ridiculous mid-week competition in an already crammed league season that saw us having to fly over to Italy for away games!

This trip in particular saw Southend going to Florence to face off against a certain Gabriel Batistuta and the team was coached by some bloke called Ranieri. I don't know if those two ever amounted to anything....

Last edited:
I managed to find this going through Austin The Shrimpers 93/94 tape, the Anglo-Italian Cup, a ridiculous mid-week competition in an already crammed league season that saw us having to fly over to Italy for away games!

This trip in particular saw Southend going to Florence to face off against a certain Gabriel Batistuta and the team was coached by some bloke called Ranieri. I don't know if those two ever amounted to anything....

One of the biggest regrets of my life is not going to an Anglo Italian Cup away game.

The next two league games were against teams struggling near the bottom,

First up at Roots Hall were Luton Town (Great goal from Jonathan Hunt!)

Then a trip to Roker Park to face the Mackems.

Here is how the "Division One" table looked after these games.

Table  21-11-93.JPG

I have a load of SUFC goals on VHS, mostly from the Meridian news programme (Coast to coast?)!

I have a load of SUFC goals on VHS, mostly from the Meridian news programme (Coast to coast?)!

Where I lived, the Carlton (London) signal was strongest but I could pick up an OK Anglia signal as well, Anglia seemed to give more SUFC coverage on their regional news.

A tough trip to the Baseball Ground (Derby County) was next up.

The result lifted Southend to 3rd, hot on the leading pack. An exciting team playing out of their skins under a charismatic manager, fans were daring to dream....

Championship Table 271193.JPG

The next game was against Leicester at Roots Hall, a live TV game on Sunday afternoon. The match itself was a drab 0-0 in which Derek Payne was sent off after some s**thousery from David Speedie.

I remember the match more for the post-match interviews in which Barry Fry was asked about the speculation linking him to the Birmingham job. Uncle Vic was looming in the background and stepped in....things got a bit awkward after that.

The next game was against Leicester at Roots Hall, a live TV game on Sunday afternoon. The match itself was a drab 0-0 in which Derek Payne was sent off after some s**thousery from David Speedie.

I remember the match more for the post-match interviews in which Barry Fry was asked about the speculation linking him to the Birmingham job. Uncle Vic was looming in the background and stepped in....things got a bit awkward after that.

You do not get interviews like that these days do you? Wow.

Never seen that before. Confirms my suspicions though. Barry fry was and is a complete prick.

I genuinely believe we would have got to the premier league if it wasn't for his greed.

Back