• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Once a player has gone, then that should be it. For whatever reason it is never the same second time round. I agree that we need a new player with Atkinson style attributes, but if we do that then lets get a new one. Also remember that Atko left because he didn't feel valued (financially as it turned out) by PB, not a good way to go.

It's usually never the same because we re-sign players several years later at the ends of their career when they've severely declined in quality. It's only been 6 months since he left us, I can't see how he could have become that much worse in that short period of time.

I agree the absence of Atkinson or a similar type of player has destroyed the team dynamics. Lenny and 3 forward minded midfield players just doesn't work. Especially when Lenny also has to cover the lack of pace that exists in the centre of the defence. Thompson's move has also left a hole as he made life so much easier for Ferdinand.

From a Mansfield forum (marks out of 10 are an average mark from 30-40 fans) ;
Atkinson 6.00
Should never have got rid of Kee! Atkinson doesn`t look bothered to me.
We just need that 'midfield general' (to replace Atkinson/Butcher) to really improve the team.

Atkinson 5.69
Atkinson 4.85
Atkinson 6.72
Evans needs to totally re-evaluate all of his midfielders: Atkinson, Butcher, Mellis, Macdonald, Digby, Thomas. They have all been disappointing.
Clements probably is slightly better than Atkinson, Butcher, MacDonald etc. However, the fact is .... none of them are good enough to lead the midfield for a promotion side.
the likes of digby, atkinson, butcher have failed to impress bar a few games.
we miss Byrom and cover when he's out Atkinson isn't the right replacement
If you want Steve sign me up for next week I'm a free agent and spray the ball around better than Atkinson.
Certainly Atkinson is way too lightweight for a central midfield role.
personally I'd let Atkinson,Butcher, Thomas and Digby go to free up wages, unfortunately it's not that simple.
Atkinson 7.48
(yes, I did see one positive comment;) notably Atkinson who was terrific in the holding midfield role (but that was v Guiseley!)

Why would Atkinson want to come back? For the most part he was given stick on these forums and wished out of the club. The same with White, and this season Timlin. At the same time the aged crop we have currently were welcomed in - some people on here have short memories.

Atkinson wanted to move back up north closer to his family for more money, simple as that. We have missed him this season though

Deegan was absolutely ****ing useless...I cant believe anyone would want him back...guess that is why we all have an opinion

Atkinson wanted to move back up north closer to his family for more money, simple as that. We have missed him this season though

Deegan was absolutely ****ing useless...I cant believe anyone would want him back...guess that is why we all have an opinion

I don’t believe that to be the case. He was very settled in Leigh and he and Lenny (as roommates as well as teammates) were joined at the hip.

From a Mansfield forum (marks out of 10 are an average mark from 30-40 fans) ;
Atkinson 6.00
Should never have got rid of Kee! Atkinson doesn`t look bothered to me.
We just need that 'midfield general' (to replace Atkinson/Butcher) to really improve the team.

Atkinson 5.69
Atkinson 4.85
Atkinson 6.72
Evans needs to totally re-evaluate all of his midfielders: Atkinson, Butcher, Mellis, Macdonald, Digby, Thomas. They have all been disappointing.
Clements probably is slightly better than Atkinson, Butcher, MacDonald etc. However, the fact is .... none of them are good enough to lead the midfield for a promotion side.
the likes of digby, atkinson, butcher have failed to impress bar a few games.
we miss Byrom and cover when he's out Atkinson isn't the right replacement
If you want Steve sign me up for next week I'm a free agent and spray the ball around better than Atkinson.
Certainly Atkinson is way too lightweight for a central midfield role.
personally I'd let Atkinson,Butcher, Thomas and Digby go to free up wages, unfortunately it's not that simple.
Atkinson 7.48
(yes, I did see one positive comment;) notably Atkinson who was terrific in the holding midfield role (but that was v Guiseley!)

Don't knock the mighty Lions.

My understanding is that Mansfield offered a 2 year deal and we only offered a one year deal. Atkinson didn't want to leave but the offer of better security for him made up his mind.

We offer has been over 30s 2 or 3 year deals and less skilled but more committed under 30s a year.

Back