• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big Bad Barry Corr

First XI⭐
To me, the performance of Paul Smith tonight has to be the worst that I have seen from a SUFC player since Efe Sodje's disaster v Col Ewe at home in the Championship season a few years ago.

That said, when coming back from the pub after the game tonight I walking across the car park just as a very dejected Smith was leaving the ground and was disgusted to hear some of the abuse levelled at him outside the players entrance by so called "fans" seemingly waiting for autographs but most likely were waiting there simply to shout their moronic bile at Smith and abuse him.

To his credit, he ignored them and just got in the car and drove off but why do the players have to put up with ****
like this and frankly the people who were "giving the abuse" made me ashamed to support the same club as them. The main people giving the abuse were a short, fat, extremely mouthy woman (with a mixed race child) and a fat kid of around 15 or 16. It was an embarrassment, especially as when I was passing I heard the teenager saying to one of the other players coming out "did he (the player) think Smith was **** too?"

These people were loud and obnoxious and the club can well do without their like. Needless to say. there were no stewards about and it left a very sour taste to what had already been a pretty abysmal evening.

Last edited:
To me, the performance of Paul Smith tonight has to be the worst that I have seen from a SUFC player since Efe Sodje's disaster v Col Ewe at home in the Championship season a few years ago.

That said, when coming back from the pub after the game tonight I walking across the car park just as a very dejected Smith was leaving the ground and was disgusted to hear some of the abuse levelled at him outside the players entrance by so called "fans" seemingly waiting for autographs but most likely were waiting there simply to shout their moronic bile at Smith and abuse him.

To his credit, he ignored them and just got in the car and drove off but why do the players have to put up with ****
like this and frankly the people who were "giving the abuse" made me ashamed to support the same club as them. The main people giving the abuse were a short, fat, extremely mouthy woman (with a mixed race child) and a fat kid of around 15 or 16. It was an embarrassment, especially as when I was passing I heard the teenager saying to one of the other players coming out "did he (the player) think Smith was **** too?"

These people were loud and obnoxious and the club can well do without their like. Needless to say. there were no stewards about and it left a very sour taste to what had already been a pretty abysmal evening.
Mixed race child,whats your point?:stunned:

Totally agree. I have posted on another threas that I was disgusted and angered by the abuse. Everyone knows it only makes things worse and potentially cost ua a goal. These 'fans' performance is far worse than Smiths

I do feel that some of the security bods ought to have hung about specifically for this. I've long felt that the players cars ought to be in a specific area where people aren't milling around so much - maybe the top car park behind the South?

Yes, I thought Smith had an absolute mare, but the abuse was out of order. Doing the "aaaaaah, you're ****!" chant to our own keeper is plain wrong. Whatever your thoughts, don't be quite so judgemental - and reserve the criticism for the man who selected the team.

Goading players in the car park like that is shameful, smith does not deserve that or any player.

Smith was indeed very poor but being very abusive to him is both wrong and counter productive.If Bentley gets injured or suspended we will need Smith so treating him like this is stupid.

Pretty disgraceful moronic behaviour. Smith had a mare, but last season was ok on the whole. Nobody should be treated like that, it's just a game at the end of the day

Totally agree. I have posted on another threas that I was disgusted and angered by the abuse. Everyone knows it only makes things worse and potentially cost ua a goal. These 'fans' performance is far worse than Smiths

Smith would have got abuse and ironic cheers if he had played like that anywhere in the country. Name me a club where his performance would have made the fans get behind him?

I don't totally blame Smith for his performance, as due to lack of reserve team football he looked a bit rusty!

Not sure if me commenting on this is a litle pot calling the kettle black as I have had my fair share of rants/abuse towards the players but its all stick and stones is it not?

I get abused every day in my job and I wish it was only "aaarrr you are so ****" or "why dont you just **** off" but the way I see it is Im better then these people and I think of payday:smile:

Shameful, but sadly not surprising. Players do from time to time have off-days, it just so happens that when a goalkeeper has them, they're incredibly noticeable, particularly if your defenders have one as well.

Not sure what it is about our society that makes people think it is acceptable to behave like those people apparently did outside the ground.

Nevertheless, I like Smith but I can't see how he will be able to play for us again. His confidence in front of his own 'supporters' was fragile as it was.

Nevertheless, I like Smith but I can't see how he will be able to play for us again. His confidence in front of his own 'supporters' was fragile as it was.

Agree with this Jai - he won't want to play for the club again after the way he was treated last night. He will have known that he didn't have the greatest game but he certainly wasn't 100% to blame for the performance and therefore doesn't deserve to be treated like that. Those who were at Brentford last season will remember what a great 'keeper he can be on his day - sadly some of them have short memories and a warped sense of what motivational techniques might be helpful when someone is having a poor day.

UNACCEPTABLE behavior from our so called "fans" if this is true . . . it's one thing showing a little negativity towards a player whilst they're on the pitch however to hurl abuse to a SUFC player in the carp park post-game (regardless of their efforts) is simply not good enough and any one who witnessed this should have intervened IMO.

Some of our fan base needs to grow up and fast, we're starting to gain a poor reputation within League 2 (and beyond) which I used to believe was not warranted. How are we supposed to attract new fans and families when we have such moronic support.

Yes blame the hierarchy for the finances, lack of players etc but for FFS please keep a control of your emotions like rational human beings . . . show some class and let's actually try to make the club a better place to be around!

I still love u paul. :-). Everyone gets stick its football u play poor fans get angered. Smith will be fine he knows he was poor he wull get over it and move on. Everyone makes mistakes look at joe hart our england no 1

To what purpose was "the Blue Voice" set up? Was it to create an atmosphere of SUPPORT or was it to use a Drum to collectively concentrate abuse at one of our own players during the match?

Ashamed to be a Shrimper last night, the noise drops when we go behind, and then turn on a player whose face dont fit their "ideals".
I think I will stick to away games, and for any future home games I do attend will sit as far away from W block as possible.

Yet it is often members of the blue voice who criticise us fans for the lack of atmosphere, w block was the area that cleared the earliest last night. They all need to take a long hard look at themselves and ask why they bother going to games, on last nights showing it isn't to support the team. Smith was practically in tears at the end walking off, the abuse during and after the game has probably destroyed the guy. If Bentley gets injured we will need smith and what good has last night done. Also I could only see that he was at fault for the fifth goal and even then Prosser was part to blame. The 4th goal was a header frpm
inside the 6 yard box which is fumbled, but didnt Bentley do similar at Wycombe, short memory some people.

To what purpose was "the Blue Voice" set up? Was it to create an atmosphere of SUPPORT or was it to use a Drum to collectively concentrate abuse at one of our own players during the match?

Ashamed to be a Shrimper last night, the noise drops when we go behind, and then turn on a player whose face dont fit their "ideals".
I think I will stick to away games, and for any future home games I do attend will sit as far away from W block as possible.

Was setup by smiffy to support the team, it still does and it still supports the team well, it's all well and good moaning on SZ if you want to make a difference come down and support the team

I decided to do the same last night as well. Infact, we actually moved to sit in top of block U (?) as W block just seems to be a place where we just take the **** out of players and opposition fans. It was a laugh when I was 16, but I think I've grown out of that now. South Upper for future home games for me.

Back