• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Apparently Nathan Bishop is now 3rd choice keeper @ Man Utd and has been issued the no.30 shirt, he’s also 1st choice U23 keeper and played for their U21 side against Salford in the EFL trophy.

Incredible achievement. Always came across as a nice lad, really pleased for him.

Unless I'm missing something Bish is still behind Lee Grant, and Romero is still at the club though not training with the first team and looks set to leave in January, but would probably be called upon before Bish still.

Unless I'm missing something Bish is still behind Lee Grant, and Romero is still at the club though not training with the first team and looks set to leave in January, but would probably be called upon before Bish still.
Lee Grant is 37, and currently injured, long term apparently - never played a 1st game either. Henderson’s out on loan to Sheff Utd (and a target of Celtic) so only leaves De Gea and Romero ahead of Bish.

Can't see Man Utd letting go of both Romero and Henderson in Jan, seems more likely Henderson is making noises to get more first team minutes. Don't think they'd want Bishop as their automatic 3rd choice, either.

Class of 2021

Finley Purcell (goalkeeper)
Mohammed Amir (centre midfield)
Jacob Bland (centre midfield)
Patrick Droney (centre half)
Henry Sandat (centre midfield)
Omari Williams (left wing)
Mitch Fellows (left back)
Ibrahim Kamara (right-back)
Habib Bolarinwa (centre-half/right-back)

Joining as 2nd year
Charlie Sayers (left-back)

Seeing the name Finley there reminded me that I was talking to someone about Finley Burns at the weekend. Remember him? Brown (I think) sold him to Man City for 175k at the tender age of 13. Now 17, he has apparently been a regular for the Man City U-23 side this season. Wow.

One big pat on the back to Ron and staff has been our academy development

I dont fear for its future and believe Ron is quite rightly highly Committed to it, and we have done exceptionally well

Even if the funding from EFL drops to 50% next year if we dont go up., im sure Ron will find a way to keep it going

Surprisingly Nat League granted 24 academy licences across the 3 divisions, not that long ago under the reorganisation into National, South and North

Now as I understand it 13 teams play in National Academy South and 11 in Northern league

This has also contributed to the expanding growth in young talent

Seeing the name Finley there reminded me that I was talking to someone about Finley Burns at the weekend. Remember him? Brown (I think) sold him to Man City for 175k at the tender age of 13. Now 17, he has apparently been a regular for the Man City U-23 side this season. Wow.
would be good to get him back on loan some day. Might have to be a bit better than we are now first though

Class of 2021

Joining as 2nd year
So would George Murray-Jones, who has joined Man City, have been class of 2021?

Class of 2021

Joining as 2nd year
Who is the 10th second year scholar mentioned here:

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2021/december/academy-udpate/

And do we have names for the 8 first year scholars yet?

Who is the 10th second year scholar mentioned here:

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2021/december/academy-udpate/

And do we have names for the 8 first year scholars yet?
I don't know who the 10th second-year scholar is. It might be that they will offer something to someone not currently involved with the squad (like Charlie Sayers last season).

I don't know who all next year's first-year scholars are, but winger Freddie Buers has appeared a number of times for the U18s this season, including in The FA Youth Cup, attacker Max Fiddes has made a couple of substitute appearances and netted the winner for the youth team on Saturday as a schoolboy, whilst defender Smai Norman played in the recent away game at Gillingham.

Goalkeepers Max Spence and Luke Cerullo have been on the youth team bench previously (although U15s shotstopper Charlie Brown was there on Saturday after making his U18s debut in December due to illness and injuries) and Jake Huet has also made the bench as a schoolboy so far this term.

Lad doing well ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-082903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-082903_Samsung Internet.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 52
Good to see from the latest figures that our Academy is outperforming 40 other professional clubs of which 2 are in the Premier league, 9 in the Championship, 12 in league One and 15 in league 2 ( + Notts c and Grimsby ) - details posted on post Match thread v Daggers

So lets not knock it, a very good performance

Back