• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The age of realism

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
Has a new age dawned on SZ?............an age of reason and realism.
Imagine if it was this time last year people would be shouting on the board......and even in the streets........what the hell's going on!.....mid June and we've signed no one.............Huddersfield have signed this player..........Swindon have signed that one.......what are Tilly and Martin doing????
This year, so far, reason prevails....one could almost say resignation.
Even when Ron announces the possibility of an imminent signing to replace Clarke and a name is suggested.........Ummmmmmm,.............
......not much chance.........Exeter, Gillingham and Rushden & Diamonds are after him! It appears that most of us are awaiting July with little expectation apart from signing Aemon Afree..........there seems more chance of England regaining the Ashes, than us paying more than a token for a player!
The tone of the threads sums it up........instead of, 'What the hell is the club doing?'........we have the introspective.....'What should the club do?......'How long will it be until investment is made?' As soon as somone brings the 'where's the warchest' out..........they are ridiculised by the majority.
It set me thinking, over breakfast, this morning, that perhaps the most exciting time this year will be August, when we announce the arrival of our loanees. At least we can dream of quality Premier or Championship quality players........without the worry of finding the money to pay for them!

I think people just need to remember not so long ago we almost went bust. What ron has done with the club has been fantastic and i would rather we stay in this league for a while surviving on loanees and the lower priced players than risk paying far to high prices and wages, it all goes tits up and we risk having money trouble. What would all you do if this club went bust?

Here's something, you live in your nice street, you drive an ok, if not aging Mondeo. Then both your neighbours go out and buy a brand new BMW and also get their front gardens tidied up. Fine, but you know that they work in similar jobs to you etc, so, do you go out and buy a car to keep up with them or sit safe in the knowledge that you're not crippling yourself with unneeded debts etc?

So the same principle applies here, there's a few clubs who are going out and spending cash that they are never going to recoup. I'd sooner support the "Mondeo" club than go all out for a couple of good seasons "BMW style" and then end up with an A reg Metro while you get out of financial trouble.

Let's take the stable route, bolster with some half decent players (yes there's gonna be some shockers but I'd sooner risk it for 3 months than 3 years at £2,000 p/w) shore it up, become a solid club and then progress!

Think its certainly resignation - and a realisation that we just dont have the money (any money!).

And no matter how much we shout and holler, it just isnt going to change. We need to sit tight, spend what we have (0) and wait to see what the new stadium brings in the way of money to spend.

My fear is that by the time that comes around, we'll be a League 2 club and probably wont have Tilson for one reason or another. But that's a different story...

Here's something, you live in your nice street, you drive an ok, if not aging Mondeo. Then both your neighbours go out and buy a brand new BMW and also get their front gardens tidied up. Fine, but you know that they work in similar jobs to you etc, so, do you go out and buy a car to keep up with them or sit safe in the knowledge that you're not crippling yourself with unneeded debts etc?

So the same principle applies here, there's a few clubs who are going out and spending cash that they are never going to recoup. I'd sooner support the "Mondeo" club than go all out for a couple of good seasons "BMW style" and then end up with an A reg Metro while you get out of financial trouble.

Let's take the stable route, bolster with some half decent players (yes there's gonna be some shockers but I'd sooner risk it for 3 months than 3 years at £2,000 p/w) shore it up, become a solid club and then progress!

Where is the 'go out late one night write **** in brake fluid on the bonnets of both BMWs' option?

Last edited:
The impetus of for this thread was one of observation rather than criticism and it is interesting to note, with the replies so far, that the feeling of resigation pervades. I will stick with my belief that the really interesting time this summer will be the arrangement of loan signings. There is no doubt that with the likes of Sawyer, Federici, JFK, Robinson and Dervite, Tilly is getting in real quality with his loanees. The big question is surely, ............... How is he going to create a team that doesn't lose its motor (be it BMW or Mondeo), come November, like last season?

I don't think of it as resignation, more of an acceptance of the current situation and, imho, an increased maturity by most of the posters in accepting our current position is as good as its going to get for a while but is considerably better than it has been in recent times.
Sure there will still be the "Buy Buy Buy" posts but an increased understanding of both our financial position and that of other teams (especially those who are now underacheiving due to horrendous financial mismanagement) does seem to be the norm now

Give it a couple of days before people realise that we are only 18th in the table and people will start calling for Tilson/Martin's head as usual.

Give it a couple of days before people realise that we are only 18th in the table and people will start calling for Tilson/Martin's head as usual.

FFS - what do you mean we are 18th... where has the Eastwood money gone. Martin out.

TBH, a few years ago i would have killed to be a solid L1 club.

TBH, a few years ago i would have killed to be a solid L1 club.

Me too!!! Said the same thing only yesterday to my mate.

The frustrating thing as fans is that at the end of 07/08 season we had a very good side that, with investment and the retention of key players (not possible with certain players, I know) we could very well be looking forward to a season in the Championship.

You can't stand still in football and, at the end of that play off season, it appeared as though Martin was content for us to do so and hope Tilly could continue to work miracles (nearly did!). As it stands at the minute, Ron is working towards a brand new stadium for Southend United as he tries to move the club forwards, but on the field we are suffering in a big way as a result and in real danger of going backwards.

Has a new age dawned on SZ?............an age of reason and realism.
Imagine if it was this time last year people would be shouting on the board......and even in the streets........what the hell's going on!.....mid June and we've signed no one.............Huddersfield have signed this player..........Swindon have signed that one.......what are Tilly and Martin doing????
This year, so far, reason prevails....one could almost say resignation.
Even when Ron announces the possibility of an imminent signing to replace Clarke and a name is suggested.........Ummmmmmm,.............
......not much chance.........Exeter, Gillingham and Rushden & Diamonds are after him! It appears that most of us are awaiting July with little expectation apart from signing Aemon Afree..........there seems more chance of England regaining the Ashes, than us paying more than a token for a player!
The tone of the threads sums it up........instead of, 'What the hell is the club doing?'........we have the introspective.....'What should the club do?......'How long will it be until investment is made?' As soon as somone brings the 'where's the warchest' out..........they are ridiculised by the majority.
It set me thinking, over breakfast, this morning, that perhaps the most exciting time this year will be August, when we announce the arrival of our loanees. At least we can dream of quality Premier or Championship quality players........without the worry of finding the money to pay for them!

I think we should only play with 8-9 players next season for the good of the club, I mean how dare we consider buying season tickets and have the audasity to see us moderatly compete over the next season. last season i went to roots hall just to get away from the old lady for a couple of hours, this year by the look of things im hoping to go one better and actually get a couple of hours sleep during the match

Back