• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE ASHES

Well done Australia, deserved winners IMO. England put up a good fight but Steve Smith was just immovable and he deserves this more than anyone for his performances, despite a his history.

Well done Australia, deserved winners IMO. England put up a good fight but Steve Smith was just immovable and he deserves this more than anyone for his performances, despite a his history.
Agreed Smith is one of if not the best sportsmen in the world right now

I can think of more accurate and better things to call him than that.
Yeah his cheating was very bad but unfortunately it will always go on in all sports.Smith was very silly doing what he did cost him a fortune and his reputation too

Agreed Smith is one of if not the best sportsmen in the world right now

Dirty cheating **** shouldn’t have even been allowed to play this series. I won’t say a good word about him!

Pat Cummins was also mighty impressive.

Lets not forget Bancroft was brought in for an 'unusual' debut for the last Ashes. It certainly wasn't or his batting skills as has been proved this summer.

The fact that another young Aussie (with a better average) had his career chance ruined by being dropped in order for them to cheat, seems to have been completely forgotten in all this.

The very fact the bans were so light and Bancroft got picked again, tells me that A) People in the Aussie cricket hierarchy absolutely knew what was going on.
B) They told the 3 that they had to ban.....Keep your gob shut and we will look after you..
C) Had they got a life time ban then they could have thrown Australian Cricket under the bus.
D) Just goes to show even when their supposedly rehabilitated you just can't trust a convict

Nevertheless, Australia still the better team throughout this series. England have proven they can't bat in anything other than the hit-and-run stuff and the openers have been lacking for several years. An overhaul is needed.

The Aussies will go for the throat now, knowing they can be the first team in 18 years to win a series on English soil, hope the English are ready to do battle and grab a draw

Like the Germans at football you should never under estimate an Aussie team when backs against the wall, Tim Paine has also fought against all media jibes and can proudly say "Up yours, I've kept the Ashes " and of course Smith is hitting the cricket ball like its a beach ball was a joy to watch, hate to say it fast becoming my favourite player to watch with Kohli

Could be worse but for Lyons misfield in last test, overall no complaints, perhaps our expectations where too high ......

As I've banged on about before, learn to bat against red ball, change captain to one I would describe as a leader and inspirer of players, namely Mr S, keeping Joe as a top class bat. Apart from ditching Roy, not a lot else wrong! There's almost a week to sort it all out. Simples!Onwards to the Oval.

As I've banged on about before, learn to bat against red ball, change captain to one I would describe as a leader and inspirer of players, namely Mr S, keeping Joe as a top class bat. Apart from ditching Roy, not a lot else wrong! There's almost a week to sort it all out. Simples!Onwards to the Oval.

In the past England have gone for the all rounder when there is no other obvious choice. Didn't do Botham or Flintoff any favours so I would leave Mr S well alone.

Root done himself no favours when he complained about the Lords pitch just day before the first Test. Some of the so called batting and game management by so called test match players has been appalling. It is nothing to do with ability or technique when you waft at a ball a foot outside off stump with the pressure on......It just means your not mentally tough enough to be wearing an England shirt.

I was watching the game round a fellow shrimpers house when Labuschagne got struck 3rd ball he faced. I loved his reaction and he saved Aus by being absolutely determined to not get out and not let his team down.

In the past England have gone for the all rounder when there is no other obvious choice. Didn't do Botham or Flintoff any favours so I would leave Mr S well alone.

Root done himself no favours when he complained about the Lords pitch just day before the first Test. Some of the so called batting and game management by so called test match players has been appalling. It is nothing to do with ability or technique when you waft at a ball a foot outside off stump with the pressure on......It just means your not mentally tough enough to be wearing an England shirt.

I was watching the game round a fellow shrimpers house when Labuschagne got struck 3rd ball he faced. I loved his reaction and he saved Aus by being absolutely determined to not get out and not let his team down.

Wafting? Well, that's surely all about technique and ability which has little to do with pressure. If they can't cope with pressures then what the hell are they doing in the team!

Wafting? Well, that's surely all about technique and ability which has little to do with pressure. If they can't cope with pressures then what the hell are they doing in the team!

Meaning you either leave it a lone when say runs aren't important like when your 35-4 or trying to save a test match. Even in one day games at least play a shot if its wide of off and makes sure you have a good slash if your a lower order player with 5 overs to go......Hanging bats out to dry or giving the slips some catching practice has nothing to do with technique or ability.

I think they can cope with the pressure (they did at the World Cup) but are now mentally knackered.

Just look at how the likes of Burns, Broad, Archer (before this match) and even Denly have been amongst our better players.

The likes of Root, Bairstow, Buttler and even Roy can all play but our ridiculous scheduling means we're making it so much harder for them.

The Australians were better prepared, better rested. OK, that didn't work for Warner but it did for Smith, Hazlewood, Labushcange etc

I think they can cope with the pressure (they did at the World Cup) but are now mentally knackered.

Just look at how the likes of Burns, Broad, Archer (before this match) and even Denly have been amongst our better players.

The likes of Root, Bairstow, Buttler and even Roy can all play but our ridiculous scheduling means we're making it so much harder for them.

The Australians were better prepared, better rested. OK, that didn't work for Warner but it did for Smith, Hazlewood, Labushcange etc

You mean Ben Stokes did......Roots batting nearly lost us the final

You mean Ben Stokes did......Roots batting nearly lost us the final

Roy and Root made runs in the semi-final against Australia; Buttler in the super-over; Bairstow and Roy in the sudden death matches v NZ and India. Those were high pressure environments where they came through.

Back