• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Ballet

Davros

The Whippet
Im a lover of football but dont like Ballet

The Mrs likes the ballet, but hates football

anyhow, a couple of months ago, we came up with an agreement, that she would come to a football game at RH, and that i would go see Swan Lake with her.

anyhow, she kept her part of the deal, and endured what im sure we will all agree was a shocking display at Home to Barnsley..... but actually she said it was quite a good experiance, and might come again...

anyway, tonight it is now my turn to accompany her to Swan Lake at the Royal Opera House....

has anyone else here ever been to the ballet, and am i likely to enjoy it??

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah
serioously you'll have fun:hilarious:

I have been to both the Ballet and Opera and both at The Royal Opera House, for drama Opera is better, but in all fairness the Ballet is ok though not as gracefull and quiet as you think, in fact a bit more like wildebeest stomping over a hollow wooden floor.

Though the bar at the top of ROH is good with a nice view of Covent Garden.

ive been to the ballet lots of times, and the opera as well... i love it! to be honest i play a lot of classical music and have been brought up with it in the house as my parents and brother and sister are very musical. the strange thing though is that i can't really stand musicals, i just find them so cheesy.

i reckon you will really enjoy it mate, swan lake is really good and i would say just go their with an open mind and forget any ideas that you might hold about it.

also make sure you get a programme and maybe even print off a synopsis of the ballet before hand which may help it be a bit easier to follow.

enjoy!

If you are going to go Dave ..Swan Lake is a good choice.. I am not a fan by any means but it is something worth seeing..Over the years I have been forced to endure a few and have mixed reactions...I would not go by choice though now.

I've been to the opera under duress and it was OK. (Verdi's Rigoletto)

Ballet is a another ball game entirely. :eek:

Verdi Naps.My ex played the Requiem at home for months. Drove me up the wall.
:(

Saw Swan Lake and fell fast asleep after about 10 minutes. Amazingly I managed to conceal it from my then missus (who had arranged the whole thing as a learning exercise for me) and pretended I enjoyed it at the end. Your best hope is that it's dark. Avoid snoring as it's considered rude at such events.

Or Farting and eating Crisps AKA Del Boy style .....Want an icecream Love?:D

Don't knock something until you've tried it....

Personally, I have been to the ballet and personally it bored me s***less. Can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was when I was visiting a mate who was living out in Hungary at the time. It was their national ballet company (so presumably a fairly decent standard), and it only cost about a quid to go, so I thought why not when he or one of his mates suggested it.

On the positive side, the bar was open, and whilst most of the audience were on the old side there was a splattering of fine young Hungarian ladies in their finest evening wear.

Go along and earn the brownie points from your missus, you may even enjoy it, and if not you know for next time that you want to steer well clear.

I find the best thing to do is set yourself a really tricky problem and try and solve it during the show.

I tried to make a point-by-point five year plan of making Manchester City a force in European football during Guys And Dolls and it worked a treat. The sheer impossibility of the conundrum insulated me from three hours of Swayze dancing like a Chelsea Pensioner. And, in my own head, I'm a football genius!

I find the best thing to do is set yourself a really tricky problem and try and solve it during the show.

I tried to make a point-by-point five year plan of making Manchester City a force in European football during Guys And Dolls and it worked a treat. The sheer impossibility of the conundrum insulated me from three hours of Swayze dancing like a Chelsea Pensioner. And, in my own head, I'm a football genius!

Ahem, since when has Guys and Dolls been a Ballet:confused:

indeed, a show i wouldnt mid as much, but the ballet all seems a bit posh and pretentious for the likes of me... plus the seats we have are quite high up, and i dont like heights that much :minger:

There's an episode of The Simpsons where Marge tells Homer she has tickets to the ballet. Homer is pretty excited and a thought bubble appears above his head....

Homer imagines himself at the "ballet": he sits in the front row at the
circus watching a bear with a hat driving a cart around the ring while
Homer sings along with the calliope. He continues to sing while Marge
watches him with a worried look.

lol he then goes on to getting both arms caught in snack machines hahaha

has anyone else here ever been to the ballet, and am i likely to enjoy it??
Yes, I'm going to Swan Lake next week, as it happens.

Given your musical tastes, you may find it a long night. Personally, I love Tchaikovsky, and the dancing complements the superb music for me. I wouldn't say I'm wild about the ballet - I don't know an awful lot about the dancing - but just go and soak up the atmosphere. Covent Garden is an amazing building, the music will be great, people will all be dressed up, and you can try and appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the dancers' moves.

Enjoy - I will next week, for sure. As ballets go, Swan Lake is right up there in terms of it having really dramatic music, so hopefully you'll appreciate that!

:)

Yes, I'm going to Swan Lake next week, as it happens.

Given your musical tastes, you may find it a long night. Personally, I love Tchaikovsky, and the dancing complements the superb music for me. I wouldn't say I'm wild about the ballet - I don't know an awful lot about the dancing - but just go and soak up the atmosphere. Covent Garden is an amazing building, the music will be great, people will all be dressed up, and you can try and appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the dancers' moves.

Enjoy - I will next week, for sure.

:)

i own 2 classical albums ill have you know:finger:

William Orbits - Pieces in a Modern Style (bought it for Adagio)

John Williams - Music from Star Wars (this was a prize from Essex FM)

as people have said, im gonna try and go into it with an open mind

Back