• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
The only excitement that comes close to the battle for the Premier League is the fight to merely stay in it for another season. The financial rewards of the top flight are now so vast that relegation is no longer an occupational hazard that can be thrown off with one straight-forward recovery season in the division below. These days, it can cripple a football club and leave them circling the drain for years to come. A quick glance at the bottom half of the Championship will show you a host of down-on-their-luck former giants, swigging from a bottle in a paper bag and telling each other how they could have been contenders. Birmingham and Reading beware.

It's interesting that the two teams who survived the dogfight did so with such wildly opposed ideologies. Ugly Bolton kicked their way to safety with crude, effective football that brought back memories of the 1980s. Watching them at Stamford Bridge this weekend was an education in itself. They couldn't have tackled any harder had they found out before kick-off that the Chelsea players had been making moves on their girlfriends. Gary Megson may not be Arsene Wenger, but he must be doing something in the dressing room to coax such venomous performances from his men. Does anyone else suspect that it involves pointy sticks?

However, in life there must always be a balance and Fulham were as beautiful as Bolton were vicious. Roy Hodgson has had a strange career. He's enjoyed success at international level and is still so highly thought of at Inter Milan that, prior to his appointment at Craven Cottage, he was set to return to the San Siro in an advisory capacity. Yet, in his home country, he's never been appreciated. Eyebrows were raised at some of his signings, but he managed to sculpt a perfect blend of intricate, short-passing and painstakingly planned set-pieces, just about effective enough to save the club. The fact that Fulham were playing mindless long-ball before his arrival only makes their escape more extraordinary. It's one thing to save a team, it's another to do it while changing their mentality.

Birmingham changed their mentality as well this season, but unfortunately they went from patient and stable to desperate and needy. Their doomed flirtation with Carson Yeung and his reported insistence that, under his regime, Steve Bruce would be the first backside out of the door, wrecked the season. Bruce went on to prove his worth at Wigan, while the Blues never really got going under Alex McLeish. Birmingham fans hurled abuse at co-owners David Sullivan and David Gold this weekend, prompting them both to tearfully pledge the sale of the club at the first opportunity. If that mysterious Singaporean consortium that we keep hearing about would like me to make contact, they only have to ask.

Reading also slipped through the cracks, but their demise is a little sadder. Last season was a perfect example of what can be achieved at a small club with good management, but it all went wrong this term. Steve Coppell's touch deserted him and he made a number of questionable decisions. Reading seemed to concede defeat before they played big teams, lining up with huge defences and barely any intent of attacking. Leroy Lita, the England U21 striker, fell out of favour and was allowed to leave on loan and, by his own admission, Coppell's signings were no better than his existing players. In the Premier League, if you stand still you go backwards.

If there is a lesson to be learned from all of this, it's that there are no easy ways to survive. Continuity is vital, leadership is imperative, but even consistency cannot guarantee survival. Reading should have not been relegated, but they must know that they let their status slip through their fingers with anaemic, gutless displays. All in all, it doesn't look good for West Bromwich Albion, Stoke City and whoever sneaks through the play-offs in a fortnight. The Premier League is more dangerous than ever.

I wonder how many Heineken mini-cans were sunk by Terry McCann in celebrating Fulham's survival? About 450 would be my guess.

I liked Reading last season and it was good to see them more then hold their own. However since there open contempt of the FA Cup (I know others probably had similar views but Reading were more open in the disregard they held for it) I was not that bothered they went down.

I just cant see past how, for a team that is struggling for wins, a good cup run would not boost their confidence and season.

Wigan and Reading have both shown that an unfancied team can go straight up and surprise a few, but then when they get found out they will struggle with second season syndrome. However, other than West Brom, I just cant see the teams going up being capable of reaching the heights of midtable.

I know people say that over the course of a season the poitns you are on are a reflection of what you have done but I really don't believe it and I believe statistically the variance across a sample of 38 really wouldn't stand up to muich scrutiny.

Reading, in my eyes, have to be one of the biggest overachievers in the Premiership. I can honestly say, hand on heart that I've not seen them put in one good performance this season and yet I must have seen about 5 Reading wins. If they'd stayed up then it would be a damning indictment of those around them.

Birmingham, in contrast, have really disappointed me after showing promise. I think my opinion is swayed by having watched them against North London opposition where they did particularly well and missing horror shows such as the mauling from Villa but there were plenty of positives in their team but they never got everything to click. I think they will dominate the Championship next season and find it hard to see anyone beating them.

I liked Reading last season and it was good to see them more then hold their own. However since there open contempt of the FA Cup (I know others probably had similar views but Reading were more open in the disregard they held for it) I was not that bothered they went down.

I just cant see past how, for a team that is struggling for wins, a good cup run would not boost their confidence and season.

Wigan and Reading have both shown that an unfancied team can go straight up and surprise a few, but then when they get found out they will struggle with second season syndrome. However, other than West Brom, I just cant see the teams going up being capable of reaching the heights of midtable.

My thoughts entirely on hearing that Reading had been relegated.

Resting the players for the FA Cup was clearly worthwhile for Reading, and I hope this is a lesson our fans learn whether it is the FA Cup, the League Cup, the LDV or the last game before the play-offs.

My thoughts entirely on hearing that Reading had been relegated.

Resting the players for the FA Cup was clearly worthwhile for Reading, and I hope this is a lesson our fans learn whether it is the FA Cup, the League Cup, the LDV or the last game before the play-offs.

Except that the bigger crime was Bolton throwing away their UEFA cup chances - sadly that has not met with the punishment it so richly merited.

Except that the bigger crime was Bolton throwing away their UEFA cup chances - sadly that has not met with the punishment it so richly merited.

That was bizarre, though the UEFA Cup involves travelling around Europe, often on a Thursday before weekend games, wheras Saturdays are reserved for Prem teams for the early FA Cup rounds.....Plus the UEFA cup has no prestige nowdays (back in the day I would argue it was harder to win then the European cup as you would have 3 or 4 Italian / Spanish / English clubs compared to just one in the European Cup). Nowdays it really is a second rate cup, as shown in many of the attendances, despite massive reductions in prices (compared to the healthily supported FA Cup)....though would obviously have been a good one for Bolton to win.

For what it's worth, I was glad Birmingham went down, and whilst Bolton are ugly to watch, I find there games can be more interesting as it can be fun to watch the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal battle with the aggressive style of Bolton.

Back