• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hexagon_sun

Manager
Of the 20 or so new albums I've checked out so far this year, the clear front runners are...

Mogwai Mr Beast
Some are saying a return to form but IMO, they've never made a bad album. That said, this album more than the last few efforts sounds like a band on top of their game and insistent on proving that they're a still a force to be reckoned with. Contains moments of astounding beauty that serve to highlight just how much they've progressed over the years but it also has enough kick-*** rock songs (although thankfully with none of cliches usually associated with such music) to please their long term devotees.

Islands Return to the Sea
How to describe this could be a problem - part prog-rock, part indiepop, part Anticon-esque alt-hop. Whatever tag you want to use, it's a delightful mash-up of seriously catchy songs, beautifully arranged and meticulously executed that no fan of Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah should be without. Rough Trade have delivered the goods once again.

Beth Orton Comfort of Strangers
Beth's best work since 1999's "Central Reservation", the ghost of Sandy Denny hangs heavy over this album. The lush but intimate, rootsy feel of Denny's early solo work is effortlessly re-interpreted here, imbueing a fine collection of songs with a genuinely classic air. My only criticism is that the album is perhaps a little overlong but a simple solution to that is don't listen to it all at once!

Euros Childs Chops
The driving force behind the second best band in Wales, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Euros Childs finally delivers his first solo release. This is a real treat - like a more restrained, lo-fi GZM with plenty of laid back, Super Furry Animals style sunshine pop. I love this already but I'm sure that listening to it during the summer it will really come into it's own.

The Flaming Lips At War With the Mystics
When are this band going to explode into the multi-million selling worldwide phenomenon they deserve to be? Any time now if there's any justice as "AWWTM" is easily the most accessable release yet from the 'Lips with several tracks sounding like potential breakthrough singles.

Citay Citay
Members of Piano Magic and f%&king Champ unite to make a full on psychedelic, acid folk-rock gem. This is stunning - the only thing I could liken it to is side 2 of Led Zeppelin III if Jimmy Page had decided to cover every track in freak-out soloing.

As for what else we have to look forward to, now that I have the Flaming Lips album there's only one other thing I'm eagerly awaiting this year and that's the return of the mighty Radiohead - I'm just praying that they don't disappoint. In theory we can also expect new albums from Interpol, Joanna Newsom, Badly Drawn Boy and Air but I haven't seen owt on the schedules yet. Anything else we should be looking out for?

Interpol - I doubt it, seeing as they don't write on the road & they were touring worldwide non-stop until just before Xmas. Would be good if it was though.

Looking forward to the new Mogwai stuff too, they're also working on the soundtrack for a Zinedine Zidane movie! They joked that their fee was for ZZ to sign a contract for Celtic!

I thought the Beth Orton album was pretty disappointing - admittedly it's the best thing since Central Reservation, but, apart from adding a few marimbas, what exactly has she changed?

I've got nothing to actually add to this debate as of yet - everything I bought recently was made in 2005
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Feb. 20 2006,17:37)]apart from adding a few marimbas, what exactly has she changed?
I think it's her vastly improved songwriting coupled with the indefinable quality that Jim O'Rourke brings to everything he touches.

Only bought one 'new' album so far this year: 'The Life Pursuit' by Belle and Sebastian, which is brilliant.

Other than that, the new Pet Shop Boys album 'Fundamental' is out in May so I'm really looking forward to that; I loved the last Flaming Lips album so I'll probably check out the new one; and Keane's follow-up to 'Hopes and Fears' is due in the Spring, so I'll be interested to hear whether they can make another album as good as their debut.

The Kooks and Clap Your Hands... albums are both fantastic. Im looking forward to Morning Runners debut album out March 6th, saw them at Chinnerys last night, theyre gonna be big this year.

looking forward to the release of Be Your Own Pet's first album. They've made a huge impact in the US and have played a few gigs over here on the mtv gonzo tour. havnt managed to see them live as yet but got a copy of there first release 'damn damn leash' of which i was very impressed with.

Agree with the assessment of Belle and Sebastian album posted earlier, it's brilliant.

Saw Top of the Pops for the first time in years last night and saw the Mystery Jets, thought they were good.

Anyone got the album and if so would you recommend it?

OK, best thing so far this year is Arctic Monkeys IMO - but then you knew I'd say that didn't you?

Next up is Belle & Sebastian, a true work of pop genius as ever.

Will get the Beth Orton album soon as I am a big fan, other than that no huge albums on the horizon which I'm looking forward to but I'm sure they'll be a few surprises and gems in 2006 like all other years.

David Gilmour - On an Island. Due out 6th March.

It's getting rave reviews in the press and the first track to be released (plus the special download available over christmas) are fantastic.

Can't wait!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (General Easterly @ Feb. 22 2006,11:25)]David Gilmour - On an Island. Due out 6th March.
Let's hope it's better than the last Roger Waters album, eh? I really like the first David Gilmour solo album but to be honest, I thought "About Face" was lousy and I haven't liked anything Floyd have done since Rog left so my hopes aren't high.

Arctic Monkeys for me, pure musical excellence!

Looking forward to Radiohead album (how can they ever dissapoint?) or are you one of the few that did not like Kid A and Amnesiac? I loved both them album but then again I like Aphex Twin!
biggrin.gif

Gilmour should be interesting though I just wish those guys would sort their act out as I have seen Floyd (without Roger) and have seen Roger (without Floyd!) Just want to see them on one stage together!

Oh well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Its grim up north! @ Feb. 22 2006,17:17)]Oh, also looking forward to 'The Streets' new album!
sh!t yeah, forgot about that....by all accounts it's a bit 'grimier' and there isn't a 'Dry Your Eyes' on it this time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (A loyal supporter @ Feb. 22 2006,17:09)]Cat Power - The Greatest

A simply mesmeric spellbinding cd.

Cat Power

Any Beth Ortan fans will love it.
Sounds good....looks quite fit too!

[b said:
I really liked "You Are Free" but I just didn't like the new one at all. In fact, I don't think I even made it to the end of the labum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 22 2006,18:38)]
[b said:

A simply mesmeric spellbinding cd.

Cat Power

Any Beth Ortan fans will love it.
Sounds good....looks quite fit too!
Hmm... sorry, the track on the website seems to confirm an age old prejudice of mine - namely that girls and plugged-in guitars, on the whole, don't mix...

suspect.gif

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Streets' third album ("Dry Your Eyes" irritated me so much that I didn't even bother buying the second), as well as the debut albums from:

Sway (e.g. his semi-autobiographical track, Little Derek), or
Corrine Bailey Rae (e.g. Just Like A Star)

Back