• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fantastic unbelievable superb wonderful marvellous incredible to witness the best bits.

Since my first game in 68 and all the high s and lows since I've never experienced tension like that,stuff your premier**** this is what being a fan is really all about.

40 years supporting the Blues and that topped the lot for me. Yes there have been other big days but to be there at Wembley, jumping up and down with my son who has only ever seen us in League 2, was truly special. Especially after trudging up to Morecambe.
The atmosphere was immense, well done everyone.
I still think I'm dreaming cos every time I've watched the pens on TV this morning I've gotten nervous and worried that someone else is gonna miss one!

Just how many sufc fans attended the day , i can tell you watching from a stream here in Melbourne you were all great ,what a noise you made ,congratulations everyone of you, and as for the players ,well ! you certainly lost that tag of chokers , brilliant fight back ,and Piggott may never dona SUFC shirt agin ,but he will remember this all his life ,thank you all for a sleepless night and for finally after 60 years supporting SUFC ,i have witnessed them ( albeit via a stream ) gaining promotion.
:smile:

I hear we had 22k on the day and what a day. Every man, woman and child were singing, clapping and playing there part. Magical day and I've witnessed some great moments being a Shrimper but this tops it off....

Great thread. I can honestly say this doesn't top the Bury experience given the historical context of the game. Im sitting here trying trying to work out where this ranks and i think it tops the Swansea, Millenium promotion, Peterboro and Stockport days. So many other great days in our history eg Bristol City and Man U and the Tottenham 3-2.

For the week i've had, for the day i had yesterday, for the sheer rollercoaster of emotion this has to rank second. I am emotionally worn out ! There's much more to come later.

Im hoping we gained some new fans yesterday too.

As to the atmosphere. TOP CLASS ! Naturally a five minute lull when we went behind but soon picked up again.

Yep Bury is right up there and it delivered more than today did, a door into the 2nd tier for the first time eve, and as you rightly say historically that will be held up more than any other.

I didnt attend that game though so my "celebration" game for that season was the next game at home to Brentford where we lost and blew the championship, so for me personally the experience of yesterday pips it.

As supporters of a lower league side we don't get the beauty of playing in FA Cup finals or for Premiership titles so for us days like yesterday/Bury/Swansea/Bristol City/Lincoln/Man Utd are what its about.

Those days are rare and yesterday certainly sits up there with the rest of them, the fact it was a last minute goal and a penalty shootout turned what would have been a memorable day (even with the loss) into a legendary one.

Today I shall enjoy the feeling of being a Southend supporter that's again achieved something !

A match is going to have to be something special to beat what happened yesterday. Easily the best ever day supporting Southend that I have ever had, still struggling to believe it happened.

Amazing day- a Night/day difference to the JPT.
Definitely my best ever SUFC momeGreen Man - brilliant- friendly atmosphere, we were one of the first there and were surprised how few were there , then it chucked it down , then the sun came out, the fans came in and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Stadium- non stop singing. Even though we were emotionally destroyed, voices gone we still kept singing right up to 'that goal'. I was stood at the top of a stair well and found myself 12 rows down the aisle in the celebrations. Definaltey my best ever SUFC moment, everyone hugging everyone. Sooooo much emotion everywhere. EVERYONE cared, so different to JPT

Penalties- Unbelievable. It wasn't until we won that I realized how much this rally meant to me. I knew I cared a lot, but I didn't realize quite how much ,

Train home- our carriage (2nd carriage 10.20 from Stratford) singing the whole way home , and joking with non football travelers. No one getting annoyed, everyone taking in the 'joy' of the nutters in blue and yellow

I said a few months ago that I would take a Wembley final over third place. I stood by that until Morecambe when it was in our own hands and I thought we MUST win this. How harpy I am that we lost !

Last edited:
The most physically and mentally draining game I have been to in all my time 40+ years of watching the blues,without all the lows would I have ever experienced the high of yesterday.Who needs drugs!.Even the walk back out of the stadium was something I will never forget for the atmosphere.A truly incredible day

What a day so many emotions! Great turn out from us too... anyone know actual attendance figures?

Piggott's goal, in terms of sheer, unexpected jubilation, is the greatest moment I've experienced in 25 years of supporting Southend. I had made the comment, minutes before, that we could play until midnight and not score, so do do that AT WEMBLEY, and go on to win is just incredible.

I think that may have happened more than once yesterday :smile:

I think you're right.
My view is that doing it yesterday is fine and manhood stays intact.
Light hugs acceptable today.
If anything of this sort spills over into Monday , then it's dodgy ground.....

I had a bloody headache, I thought my heart was going to stop several times ---- I felt we were taken right to the edge yesterday, never before have I had such mixed emotions in such a short space of time.

I felt down when BBBC's header was disallowed, even lower when they scored, suicidal just before the end of extra time, went mental when Pigott scored and the downs and ups of the penalties left me a quivering wreck.

Just get automatic promotion next season I can't take any more.

You don't get a feeling like yesterday being a plastic Premier League supporter, so only we know how this feels!!

I agree that the Bury game is tops for historical reasons. But when all that emotion and jubilation erupted from the 20+k of us in the 122nd minute and at the end of penalties, that really was something very very special.

Just reading some of these posts I can feel my eyes welling up again.

The expectation, the fans, the togetherness, the venue, the never say die attitude, that last second equaliser, that penalty save, the celebrations, the realisation we were up. What an incredible day.

As a married man , it's ok to cry and cuddle other men right ?

I hugged at least 4 men after the game, it was just such an emotional occasion. I doubt i will ever watch a more emotional game in my life. I'ts taken 46 years but my sons has only waited 12 years and my daughter 8 years, not that she was bothered, she was dozing on the wife's lap

Back